23 nights in Japan need HELP with Itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2019, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ello I need help with my plan please. Open to all suggestions places I am missing or shouldn't go or to little or to much time. Looking at 21 day rail pass and want to hit all the major spots during cherry blossoms at peak.

March 31st - Tokyo : Land 1700 eat and Spend night
April 1st - Day 1 Tokyo (night): Shinjuku, Shibuya, Harajuku
April 2nd - Day 2 Tokyo (night) : Ginza, Samida, Akihabara
April 3rd - Day 3 Leave Tokyo(early)- Hiroshima (night) : peace park , Shukkein garden, castle
April 4th - Day 4 - Hiroshima (night) : Miyajima
April 5th Day 5- Hiroshima (night) - Onomichi
April 6th - Day 6 Hiroshima- Okunoshima (bunny island) – Osaka (night)
April 7th Day 7 - Osaka (spend night)
April 8th - Day 8 - Osaka(leave early)- Kyoto (spend night)
April 9th Day 9 - Kyoto (spend night) : day trip to himeji
April 10th - Kyoto
April 11th - Kyoto: Day trip Nara
April 12th Kyoto : day trip Arashiyama (bamboo forest)
April 13 - Kyoto – Hakone
April 14th Hakone – Kawaguchi lake ( mt fuji, suicide forest)
April 15th Hike chureito pagoda – Shibu onsen (Nagano)
April 16th Shibu onsen (Nagano) – Jigokudani – matsumoto
April 17th Nagano- Takayama
April 18th Takayama
April 19th Takayama(early)- Kanazawa
April 20th Kanazawa
April 21st Kanazawa (early)- Kamakura Day trip – Tokyo
April 22nd Tokyo : Nikko Day trip
April 23rd Tokyo – Asakusa, Ueno then fly out at 1825

three spots I kinda wanted to check out but had trouble finding room not sure if there worth it. DOn't want to be super busy but like medium>

Mount Koya?
Izu Peninsula ?
Okayama?
Old Jul 23rd, 2019, 06:23 PM
kja

I haven't taken too close a look at your itinerary, but want to emphasize that chasing cherry blossoms can be a tricky thing. I would encourage you to make sure that your plan also reflects time to visit other treasures of the places you will visit.

If you haven't already done so, I would also encourage you to spend lots of time -- LOTS -- with japan-guide.com

Japan can be an extraordinarily delightful place to visit -- if you give it a chance to shine, rather than insisting that it meets your expectations. Enjoy!
Old Jul 24th, 2019, 12:39 AM

You haven't identified particular cherry blossom spots though that is one of your interests. That's ok for now. put. But you c/should put Shinjuku Gyoen on your Tokyo itinerary for cherry blossoms.

I think you have Hakone out of order. A better route would be Kyoto - Matsumoto- Nagano- Takayama (via Toyama).

Hakone and./or Fujigoko would be better around your Tokyo time at the beginning or end.

What is your plan for Osaka? Do you have a particular interest there?

You could spend the night after bunny island in Okayama or Himeji. Maybe two in Okayama. Spend a day to visit Okayama and Kurashiki (and maybe Kojima). After the second night stop in Himeji and take your time and then head to Kyoto (or maybe Osaka) for the night.
Old Jul 24th, 2019, 12:43 AM

Forgot to mention that I think your itin is pretty busy.

Or another route: Kyoto- Kanazawa- Takayama- Nagano- Matsumoto- Tokyo region.
Old Jul 24th, 2019, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Will work on it

Yes I am starting to think I should switch it up with Hakone. My big places for cherry blossoms was Tokyo, Hiroshima, Osaka and Kyoto. Not sure what you mean about particular places for cherry blossoms. Im thinking about skipping bunny island. Doing Okayama and himji on way back towards Osaka. Do you think I’m spending to much time in Osaka? Not really sure what I want to do there yet but open to suggestions. Do you think I should spend a whole night in Okayama and not a day trip? I’m thinking after Kyoto to do Kanazawa Takayama Matsumoto and Nagano then tokyo then Hakone and my Fuji area ending with my two day trips in Tokyo. Does that sound better?
Old Jul 24th, 2019, 04:46 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
From your dates, you will see cherry blossoms up north in Takayama. The rushing river that bisects the town is is lined with them, beautiful. Of course their blooming dates is dependent on the temperatures.
Old Jul 24th, 2019, 05:49 PM
kja

Originally Posted by GirlIwanttotravel76
Do you think I’m spending to much time in Osaka? Not really sure what I want to do there yet
If I might ask, if you don't know what you want to do in Osaka, why is it part of your plan? Even with 23 days, you won't be able to see everything that some consider highlights of their time in Japan.
Old Jul 24th, 2019, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Do you have any suggestions?
Old Jul 24th, 2019, 05:58 PM
kja

Yes. As already noted, study japan-guide.com
Old Jul 24th, 2019, 10:32 PM

Yes I am starting to think I should switch it up with Hakone. My big places for cherry blossoms was Tokyo, Hiroshima, Osaka and Kyoto. Not sure what you mean about particular places for cherry blossoms. Im thinking about skipping bunny island. Doing Okayama and himji on way back towards Osaka. Do you think I’m spending to much time in Osaka? Not really sure what I want to do there yet but open to suggestions. Do you think I should spend a whole night in Okayama and not a day trip? I’m thinking after Kyoto to do Kanazawa Takayama Matsumoto and Nagano then tokyo then Hakone and my Fuji area ending with my two day trips in Tokyo. Does that sound better?
>>what you mean about particular places for cherry blossom

I mean specific places. Tokyo is an en enormous city. I suggested Shinjuku Gyoen because I am pretty sure that you will see cherry blossoms during your Tokyo time. I know this because I learned that park has multiple varieties of cherry trees and they bloom at different times. The blooming takes a week and then another week and the blossoms are falling. With multiple varieties I think that you can see cherry trees in different stages of bloom in SG for something like 4 weeks.

Besides tree varieties the blooming season depends on altitude and latitude. Predictions are made based on winter weather. Scientists/people keep track of the trees and when the buds appear and their stage of development up to when they open and as the bloom emerges up to peak and then as blossoms fade and fall.

japan-guide has a ranked list of the best cherry blossom vieiwing sites in Japan. They descriptions include the numbers of trees and different expected peak viewing period. There are also some reports from locals including photos and I am sure you can find reports of what it was like this past season.

Some people build their itinerary to Japan based on when and where the peak blossoms will be. I think your timing is right for Takayama. Maybe for Himeji.

I had to ask about if you had a particular interest in Osaka because it is not on the most people's Japan itineraries. Not first-time, anyway. Kyoto and Himeji are obvious. Same with Okayama - you mentioned it because you learned about specific reasons to visit (the park & castle, at least, and nearby Kurashiki). One reason some people stay in Osaka during that season is because lodging is expensive in Kyoto then and they have points to stay at an Osaka hotel for free - and they commute to Kyoto.

So, given your lack of knowledge of Osaka and your actual knowledge of your interests in Okayama and Himeji, then yes, you sh/could consider canceling or shortening your stay in Osaka.

I will come back to the Okayama and/or Himeji stays later. I did give a two-night Okayama stay plan above.

>>Does that sound better?

Yes, it is better, and it is right if you plan to take the bus from Takayama to Matsumoto. Is that your plan? If that is not your plan then you can forget that I mentioned it;. A better rou te by train would be Takayama to Nagano via Toyama and then Matsumoto and Tokyo. Moving Matsumoto after Nagano would prevent some backtracking.

Last edited by mrwunrfl; Jul 24th, 2019 at 10:37 PM.
Old Jul 25th, 2019, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

My plan was to leave Kyoto and go to Takayama hit the festival. Then to Kanazawa then to Nagano matsamato then lake Kawaguchi
Old Jul 25th, 2019, 11:00 AM

ok

>> Doing Okayama and himji on way back towards Osaka.

I think that means that you are thinking that you would wake up in Hiroshima, visit those two places on the same day, and spend the night in Osaka.

You could do that but I think it is not a good idea. I recommend that you pick one. Himeji is much more significant.

If you choose Okayama then you can visit Himeji on another day from Osaka (or Kyoto). After Okayama you might have time that day to visit a spot in Osaka, like Osaka-jo Koen. I enjoyed visiting there twice, once for the castle and the second time for the cherry blossoms. I enjoyed going inside the castle, but it is more of a museum visit. You can skip going inside (I would never say that about Himejijo). The second visit was a nice few hours in a park with other happy people doing the same.

If you choose Himeji then that means you would drop Okayama from your itinerary. It was optional for you, so give up on it. The park there is nice but I don't think they have many cherry trees, if any. The castle is nice but you are going to Himeji.

Himeji is going to take time, more than you might be thinking. It is also going to take patience. It is popular, especially at cherry blossom time, and for good reason.

Last edited by mrwunrfl; Jul 25th, 2019 at 11:05 AM.
Old Jul 25th, 2019, 05:39 PM
kja

My plan was to leave Kyoto and go to Takayama hit the festival. Then to Kanazawa then to Nagano matsamato then lake Kawaguchi
IMO, you are giving Takayama and Kanazawa very little time, particularly during the festival. Are you sure you will have time to see and experience the things that make you want to visit these places?
Old Jul 26th, 2019, 01:37 AM
Original Poster

I’m not to sure that’s what I’m trying to figure out I want to enjoy them and not be rushed. You don’t think 2 nights in Kanazawa and 2 in Takayama is enough? What would you remove. I could do 1 night in Himeji instead of Okayama. I would like to stay in Osaka 1 night for dontobori night life. I could try and do 3 days in Takayama . Hmmmmmmm maybe instead of a night in Hakone and lake Kawaguchi just 2 at the lake.
Old Jul 26th, 2019, 06:36 PM
kja

I want to enjoy them and not be rushed. You don’t think 2 nights in Kanazawa and 2 in Takayama is enough?
Personally, I think your entire itinerary is too rushed! I think the combination of Kanazawa and Takayama is best with at least 5 nights, or at least 6 if you plan to visit the Takayama festival. I think a first visit to Kyoto best with at least 6 full days for Kyoto and Nara. But it's not my trip, and only you can decide what you most want to see and at what pace.
Old Jul 26th, 2019, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

Totally and I want to enjoy it and not be to rushed. I would like to do 3 days in Takayama and 2 days in Kanazawa does this seem better? I’m trying to determine what I should take out. I got 5 nights in Kyoto with one day trip to Nara and one in Arashiyama. I’m trying to figure out what to remove and where to make more time. I’m totally open to suggestions. I’m thinking maybe not Matsumoto and maybe a day trip to Himeji during my one night in Osaka instead of a night at each. Thinking of maybe skipping Hakone and doing two days at lake Kawaguchi. Still researching tons trying to figure out where I want to go. I got 6 nights in Tokyo with 5 full days.
So something alone the lines of
3 in Tokyo
2 Hiroshima
1 osaka - day trip to Himeji
5 Kyoto - 2 day trips Nara and Arashiyama
1 mount koya (not sure it’s expensive)
3 Takayama
2 kanazawa
1 shibu onsen in Nagano
2 lake Kawaguchi
3 nights in Tokyo - 2 days trips niko and Kamakura