Iceland or Japan?

Search

Iceland or Japan?

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2006, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iceland or Japan?

I am looking to book a flight for a 2 week vacation.

Here is what I am considering:

Iceland (6 days) & Oslo, Norway (6 days)
or
Japan....all over the island.

I am in early twenties and plan on taking the trip alone....it that makes a difference on the suggested location.

Any suggestions (and experiences and links) would be helpful!!

Old May 3rd, 2006, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

One more importatant aspect....I am on budget!
Old May 3rd, 2006, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

One more importatant aspect....I am on a budget!
Old May 3rd, 2006, 02:45 PM

If you are on a budget, then how about doing 2 weeks in Thailand instead? Neither of your other choices are particularly economical.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Well, I found a flight to Tokyo or Osaka for $650 and a flight to Iceland & Oslo for $950.....flights to Thailand are a bit more expensive.

Also, do you think it is safe for a solo traveler in Thailand? I was told no.

Old May 3rd, 2006, 03:05 PM

Thailand is a pretty safe place. Once you get there it is quite inexpensive as opposed to Japan or Iceland/Norway.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 03:30 PM

I think you should consider your overall budget for your trip rather than focusing on the airfare part. Spending a bit more to get to a less expensive destination might be a more ecomical and enjoyable plan.

I've never been to Iceland or Norway, but hear that they aren't inexpensive to travel around. Japan, while it can be done on a budget, is far more enjoyable if you don't have to sleep in budget accommodation, which tends to be old, small, smelling of cigarettes and lacking services...it's just a bed in a tiny room. Even youth hostels, when you can find them and get availabiity are not so nice, and are typically located in rather sightseeing inconvenient places.

Travel within Japan is very efficient, but is not inexpensive. Train fares are very high, buses about 1/2 of that. A JR Pass would likely save you money, but they are not cheap either...a 7 day pass is 50% of your airfare.

I would consider Bali, Thailand, Vietnam...your stays in places like these give you much more for your money.

Bali is a lovely destination, and is perfect for solo travelling I think. The island has a diversity of sights and cultural experiences that are unmatched in our travels as yet. It is safe and cheap. A good room need not cost more than $15.00 or so, and a great room with air conditioning, pool, spa...for $40.00 or $50.00.

Thailand is another place where travel on a budget is very easy. Similar prices to Bali, but not as much bang for your buck I don't think, but still, great value. Travel within the country is very reasonable, and pretty efficient. Even flying on a budget is possible with the variety of discount airlines now.

Thailand safe? I'd say absolutely. We've been 4 times, and never once felt unsafe or had any trouble with safety issues. It's as safe as anywhere else I would think...use common sense. Don't walk around with a fist full of visible cash, avoid seedy bars...the usual. We feel no less safe in Bangkok than we do in any Japanese city.

Vietnam...not been there yet, but from research for a future trip, it is very budget friendly and fascinating.
Old Jun 7th, 2006, 12:11 AM

Bali and Thailand are great recommendations. While you might pay more getting there you will not spend a lot while you're there. I personally prefer Bali. It's quite easy to find a beautiful hotel for under $20 a nite. Thailand is comparable but I agree, I think there's more bang for the buck in Bali. I live in Japan. If you decide to do Japan make sure you get a rail pass BEFORE you come. You can get an unlimited tourist pass before you get here, but once you're here it's not available. You're in your early 20's so if you're willing to be creative you can have a great time in Japan on a budget. You can zip all over the country with that unlimited pass and if you're smart you'll use the train time to sleep. You'll find that most hotels in Japan run around $100+ a nite. If you are backpacking another suggestion would be to stay at short time rest hotels. Especially during the day these can be relatively cheap ($40 for up to 8 hours). This would be impracticle if you were traveling with a lot of luggage however... Also for what it's worth, most of the rest hotels are couples (or love) hotels at night. That's not quite as bad as it sounds. Hotels of that sort are on quite common in Japan. It isn't at all uncommon for a husband and wife to arrange for a rendevous at love hotel. Think kids at home and walls made out of paper... These hotels normally have bigger rooms, bigger beds and bigger baths. They are also generally speaking very clean. However, I just thought it prudent for you to know that before you considered a rest hotel as an option. Also you might find yourself more limited in options in rural areas (although prices normally tend to be cheaper except in extremely popular destinations like Nikko). Also for the record, everyone I've met who went to Iceland had a blast. I've never been but it's on the list. Hope this helps...
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 01:42 PM

Iceland is probably more expensive than Japan. I've been to Japan, and you can get reasonably priced food and lodging, but my friend said Iceland is totally expensive. $5 a Coke, etc.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 01:48 PM

Forget both if you are on a budget- go to Bangkok.
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 01:51 PM

Bangkok/Phuket

I love Thailand.

We have been before and are going again next week.

I think travel alone would be safe. Violent crime is rare, although pickpockets are very prevalent.

Have fun!
Old Jun 14th, 2006, 02:04 PM

Kate7ann,
If you're on a budget and travelling solo you might find thorntree -the discussion forum on the Lonely Planet website -helpful, you may be using it already. If I were travelling on my own at your age I'd be looking for somewhere there's a backpacking tail and you're going to meet lots of other traveller.