Iceland or Ireland

Old Sep 4th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iceland or Ireland

We are taking my stepson on a graduation trip next June. We will have 5-7 days and our budget is NOT limitless. My son is an outdoors/active/wildlife kind of guy. Which would you recommend, Iceland or Ireland?
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 08:54 AM

If you budget is not limitless than avoid Iceland at all costs - one of the very most, if not the most expensive place in the world

sticker shock for everything except fish IME
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 09:06 AM

Along with major sticker shock, Iceland offers some of the most breathtaking scenery imaginable. Your best bet would be to do some price comparisons between these 2 destinations to see what best fits your budget. If you're planning on renting a car, Iceland will be quite expensive.
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 09:25 AM
tod

knicola - click on the name ' annhig' She will reveal the true facts about Iceland.
I would avoid it at all costs - Ireland is definitely my 2009 destination!
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 09:31 AM

If you're planning to eat Iceland will be VERY expensive
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 09:34 AM

Having done both, they both make excellent vacations. All in all, Iceland was my favorite but we had a great time in Ireland as well.

As far as outdoor stuff, I'd definitely lean towards Iceland... the scenery is amazing, there are great parks and awesome hiking trails. Cost is an issue, but is really only a problem for food (expect to pay double what you would find in Europe... but breakfast is included in most lodging and there are good items available for doing picnic lunches while out exploring). Lodging at most places in inline with most of Europe as is car rental and gasoline.

However, given your constraints of budget and time, I'd lean towards Ireland in this case. My thinking would be to fly into Shannon and spend time around the Cliffs of Moher, Giants Causeway, etc. These are great areas with lots of nice B&B's, plenty of places to get out and hike, etc.

I'll throw out one other suggestion... for outdoor stuff (mostly hiking), if you consider Ireland, I'd also consider Scotland (especially the Highlands/Isle of Skye). Also, doing a quick trip to Alaska might also fit the bill.

Neither country is great for wildlife, but both can have interesting sitings.
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 09:35 AM

Iceland is a destination????? LOL thats like planning a vacation to somalia
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 04:45 PM

Hanleyster - Why make such an incensitive remark? Your comment offered nothing constructive to the OP's question.
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 01:07 AM

Hanley - do you know ANYTHING about Iceland?

It's been at the top of my 'must get there before I die' list since I was a teenager. Still haven't made it yet but I'm determined to save up enough one day!
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 02:11 AM

Ireland needs a fair bit of work if your stepson's interests are paramount and he's nothing but an "oudoors/active/wildlife" kind of person. Its wildlife is little more than OK and he may well find its activities a bit middle-aged, going on downright senile.

Scotland offers far more of that kind of thing than Ireland, even though it's colder, the food's worse and the pubs are generally miserable compared to Ireland's. But if "oudoors/active/wildlife" is what really counts, I wouldn't start with Ireland.
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 04:38 AM

Ireland isn't exactly cheap either.

I would definitely pick Iceland if the son is an outdoors/active/wildlife kind of guy.
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 05:20 AM

sorry to throw a wrench in your possibilities, but i recently read an article aboard a continental flight home from ireland (which is one of my favorite places in the world, and i am going back in october) which touts the great outdoor/adventure experiences available in israel. i was last there in 1976, but do remember many of the locations cited and they are indeed amazing. also...puerto rico offers some really good outdoor adventures as well.
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 05:56 AM

Contrary to poular opinion, Iceland isn't VERY expensive. At least not to anyone who's ever had to buy a mediocre pub lunch and a round of drinks in a central London pub for visiting friends.

It's little bit over the odds, but if you budget correctly you'll be fine, and the wildlife, scenery and possible walks you could do would be unlike any anywhere else in the world and would, I think, make for an incredibly memorable graduation trip.

Ireland, whilst picuresque, friendly and all the rest of it, can't quite compete in my eyes.

Having been to both Iceland and Ireland three times, I'm planning my next trip back to Iceland, whilst Ireland isn't even on my imaginary list of places to return to. Just my two penn'orth...

Old Sep 5th, 2008, 06:29 AM

Having been to both Iceland would be my pick.
The scenery is absolutely beautiful but not alot of wildlife except for birds such as puffins.
I'm sure your son would love seeing the glaciers and geysers.
You can find inexpensive foods like hotdogs which are great there. There are many websites on both countries which would give you an idea of things to do and see and eat.
I would go back to Iceland in a heartbeat whereas Ireland-been there done that.
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 06:40 AM

hanleyster - that has to be about the dumbest comment I've read on these boards in a while... if you want to see why Iceland is a great destination, send me your email address and I'll send you some photos...
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 06:48 AM

I really do not need to prove my point that iceland is the earth's wart. Its common knowledge! It has no history, nothing but blowing winds and slushy fields of doom. Its like freaking mordor!
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 07:05 AM

A couple of links for you hanleyster;

http://www.brainyhistory.com/events/...930_30808.html

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...landsagas.html

Were you attacked by puffins as a child?
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 09:07 AM

I mean there is nothing at all that would make me say "Gee, Id like to go to iceland". Name a landmark?
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 09:15 AM

Hanleyster would probably find Iceland interesting if they decide to build an Eiffel Tower there, not otherwise.
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 09:18 AM

Landmarks?

Hmmm...

Any of the glaciers...
Gulfoss
Detifoss
Skaftafell National Park and Svartifoss
Jökulsárlón Glacial Lagoon
Geyser
Pingvellir
The black beaches at Vik
The entire Lake Myvatn area

Having done a fair amount of traveling (Ireland, Scotland, England, France, Austria, Italy, Alaska, New Zealand, South Africa, Kenya, Belize, Mexico, British VI, etc.), I'd put Iceland up there with any of them and go back in a heartbeat.

Just because YOU don't recognize any of the landmarks, just shows your lack of knowledge... it's not an indication of the worthiness of it as a tourist destination.

As for history... do a little reading... from the Viking thru WWII thru the Cold War, Iceland has quite an interesting history.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -