Search

I really need some Help Finding a Good Fare to Bangkok

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really need some Help Finding a Good Fare to Bangkok

Hi, fellow Fodorites!

Thought I would come here and ask the experts on Asia travel for some help.

Do you know of a site/consolidators who are reliable and offer a good fare to Asia?

I found the Best Travel Store (BTS) and it has a fare of $510 plus taxes, etc. for RT from San Francisco to Bangkok. That's a great fare, but I've never used them before.

Have you? Are they reliable?

Any help you can give me is very much appreciated. My friend suddenly wants to leave in February! I'm debating whether to go with her or not - except that for a bit over the normal RT fare to BKK (~900.00) I can go round the world - which is really the trip I'm planning.

Please help! TIA!
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 12:05 PM

Have you looked at skyauction.com ? Sometimes they have really great fares/trips to Asia.

Good Luck!
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 12:26 PM

What are the taxes and fuel charges for this??? Sometimes the fare looks great, but then the taxes and fuel charges are more than the flight price! I have a good consolidator that we use if you want their info.

Jeffrey
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Denaw: Wow! Thanks a million!

There are a couple of fares to BKK that seem low, but then adding on the taxes of over $300, it does bring the fares up.

How's the realiability of skyauction? Has anyone used it before? Any problems? Any gotchas that I should look out for?

Again, TIA for your help!
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Jeffrey: our posts crossed.

Yes, I would love to have the name of your consolidator. Would you be willing to give the name here on Fodors?

If not, please email me at bells918athotmaildotcom. Let me know the first four or five letters of your email address, otherwise I delete a lot of stuff without opening the email.

Thanks ever so much!
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 04:12 PM

Try gatewaylax.com. It always seems the charges are lower than most.
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 06:45 PM

Try to check with the airlines websites, that's the price the consolidators and discounters have to beat!

I have flown to SFO and LAX for free using miles from Boston and used China Airlines (www.china-airlines.com) for the flight to Thailand or the Philippines.

When you add in the surcharges and what ever extra charges they can dream up the price gets a little higher.

Since NineEleven I started flying with the same airline all the time. With a gold card you fly two times and the third flight is almost free using miles. An elite card gives you lots of bonus miles which add up pretty fast. Gold card on NWA gives you double miles, Platinum card is 125% extra miles!

Good luck.
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 07:27 PM

Sure! here it is. [email protected]

He was a lot of help this last trip and also helped us get set up for the challenge on American and now we have Gold status.
Old Jan 19th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Hi, All!

Thanks so much for all the great recommendations!

I finally settled on a fabulous fare with gatewayLAX that bmttokyo recommended.

Got a Cathay Pacific flight that was $400 cheaper than any other CP offered anywhere else, even on the CP website itself.

The cheapest were flights with Northwest (incredible $450 plus ~$300 in taxes, etc.) but I like Cathay Pacific better.

Thank you so much, bmttokyo!

Not only was the fare a great fare, but the people were so helpful! Just from their helpfulness alone, I'd recommend this site.

Will let you all know how the ticketing, etc. goes once the trip is over. If all goes smoothly, this is a great website!

Old Feb 28th, 2008, 05:26 AM

Sorry easytraveler,

I just read your last entry. I have always been happy with Gateway's service. They try their best looking for the best rate. On my next trip to the Phil this April, we went back & forth working on different dates & a possible upgradeable fare etc. I found NWA's online rate cash plus miles @ $400 plus 20K, the best value though. The full fare was running around $1200++. Our agent Yuko advised me to take it ASAP since she said that rate can't be beaten. If she says so, I am assured she did all she could to help me.
Glad it worked out for you.
Old Feb 28th, 2008, 12:16 PM

For a good decade, my sister has used skyauction.com...but not for Bangkok...but for a lot of other places and she's had no problems with them. Good luck.
Airfares are up. I just bought my ticket to BK (LAX-BK) last week and a ticket in regular economy was $200. more than the exact same ticket was for just this past Dec/Jan. I ended up buying a ticket in premium economy since it was less than $300. more than regular economy due to me booking so early...10 months in advance. Happy Travels!