Huangshan - How Long?

Search

Huangshan - How Long?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2004, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Huangshan - How Long?

We would be arriving into Tunxi from Beijing at 6 pm, which precludes going up to Huangshan the same day.

My first question: any recommendations for a place to stay? My dad is picky about accomodations and is used to 5-star hotels. But, if accomodations are limited, then a clean room with a private bath and hot water would be adequate.

My other question: how long should we spend at the summit? Our current plan is to spend one night at Tunxi, head up to the summit the next morning, have the afternoon to explore, stay overnight at the summit, see the sunrise, and head down. Any recommendations?

Thanks.
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 10:16 AM

Most people stay just one night up in the mountain, but when I was there a few years ago I wish I had stayed another night. Whereas, some people did it as day trip, so it will depend on how keen you are with the mountain scenery.

Sunrise or sunset cannot be guranteed as the mist drifts in and out all the time. But you'll never know, you may be lucky.

If I am not mistaken there are three hotels in Huanghan: Beihai, Baiyin and Xihai. They are all of 2-3 star standard.

Most people take the cable car up and hike down which I think the best way of doing it. I hiked both ways but thought the way up was not as beautiful as the way down (I suppose it was because we took the easier and less scenic path up).

Do a search on 'Huangshan' there are quite a few threads on this subject. Enjoy your trip for me Huangshan is a magical place.
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Naturaltan. How long did it take you to hike down? I like your idea of taking the cable car up and hiking down. But we'll be there mid-November - so maybe it will be too cold to hike down if it takes too long.

Old Sep 17th, 2004, 04:34 PM

Congratulations! Huangshan is really beautiful. It is also very remote.

On the summit, I stayed in Shilin Hotel (4-stars) for one night and the rooms were excellent (white linen, twin beds, European style decor) and the best part, clean drinking water in the sink to take a nice shower. The food at the hotel restaurant was wonderful and excellent service. I think I had lunch at Baihai hotel, it was suppose to be a five star establishment. I wish I saved my money and ate somewhere cheaper. My boyfriend was not impressed with the dried blood at the hot pot bar (blood anyone?). I highly recommend Shilin hotel for the summit.

As for Tunxi, that is where you have to worry about clean rooms, heat in November and good food. But what Tunxi lacks, it makes it up to you on the way to Huangshan. I promise.

I did the tour with one night in Huangshan and I missed the sunrise, therefore, if I had to do it again, I would stay two nights, but I would try two different hotels (there were 72 other peaks I didn't hike).

Hiking in Huangshan in the middle of November is going to be cold. You NEED a heavy winter coat for both you and your father. People go to Huangshan because it is beautiful, the mountain in the clouds. But if you are standing in the middle of a cloud, you might not appreciate the beauty. Nevertheless, you can prepare yourself.

Old Sep 20th, 2004, 09:24 AM

Casey, we did it in mid-September so it was very pleasant walking down and taking in the beautiful scenery. It took us around three and half hours (I think) to get down. It was peak period, there were quite a few people around so it was a bit slow at some sections of the path. If you wrap yourself warm and wear good walking shoes, you should be okay. The locals told me if it snows, there will be workers sweeping the snow away so that the main paths won't be treacherous for the tourists. Those who go both ways by cable car will miss some stunningly beautiful sceneries IMHO.
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, SBoBao and Naturaltan, for the info!
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 08:08 PM

Casey: I typed "Huangshan" on MSN. This website (http://www.huangshan
china.com/english/planning.htm)is about planning a trip to Huangshan. It even highlights the fact that Huangshan City is also home to AnHui Ancient Villages (showcased in the opening scene of Crouching Tiger). Worth checking out. If you don't speak a lot of Chinese, make it a point to list the main destinations (ShiLin) in Chinese and English in case you need directions. No one in Tunxi speaks any English.
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the pointer on the website.

Do hotels in Tunxi allow people to leave their luggage while they stay overnight on the summit? Or is there a place to lock up luggage at the bottom of the mountain?

Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 06:00 PM

I wish I could anwser that question. I knew an American desperately trying to lock up his luggage at the train station and no one understood what he was talking about. To save yourself some frustration, I would leave my luggage in a Shanghai or Beijing hotel, but not in Tunxi (which is what I did). Tunxi is not international at all. It is very scenic, but it is in a very poor and remote part of China. My travel van tailgated a farmer walking his pig on the road between Tunxi and Huangshan. Not a problem, not that many cars in Tunxi anyway.