how to reserve train tix in Japan

Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how to reserve train tix in Japan

We will be in Japan from December 19-January 2. We would like to go to Kyoto for at least a few days. We are currently looking at December 25-28. WE will use our Japan rail pass. I know train and accomodations are booked quite solidly at that time so we want to book now....we already have a hotel lined up but how does one reserve train tickets when you can only do this one month in advance? Is there another way?
Old Oct 22nd, 2003, 11:23 PM

Bonjour Orangeboy,

Don't worry. Making your train reservation on arrival in Tokyo will be early enough for the dates you have in mind. Do it at the same time you activate your railpass. The big rush out of Tokyo shouldn't start before Dec. 27 this year.
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 05:09 AM

https://www.world.eki-net.com/
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 07:27 AM

Just to note that if you have a JR Pass you cannot reserve your seats in advance of your arrival in Japan (and activating your pass). The sites for seat reservations commit you to buying rail tickets as well. So you have no choice but to do so in Japan. Provided you are flexible about which train to take (there's Hikari train every 30 min or so - you cannot use your pass on Nozomi, even though the price differentials have been removed from the beginning of October with the opening of new Shinagawa stop for Shinkansen; there was a hope that JR would allow passholders to travel on Nozomi, but it's been dashed; there are now more Nozomi and fewer Hikari trains, which doesn't help us much; at least JR Pass remains a bargain, much to the envy of Japanese residents).
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Okay thanks for the replies! I was under the impression that by reserving at this site
http://www.world.eki-net.com

I would get a refund (less reservation fee) when I produced my Japan rail pass...maybe not (in which case I'm glad to know now!!!)

I not as concerned about the train out of Tokyo to Kyoto, I'm more concerned about the train BACK to Tokyo on the 28th! Any comments on what seating availibility will be like?
Old Oct 23rd, 2003, 04:55 PM

On most Hikari, cars #1 through 5 are for those without reservation. If you cannot get reservation, then my suggestion is once you go to Shin-Osaka (just 15 minutes away by Shinkansen), then take Shinkansen originating from Shin-Osaka. That way, you'll have a better chance to be seated than trying to get a seat at Kyoto.