Japan Rail Pass

Mar 6th, 2017, 10:28 PM
Original Poster

Japan Rail Pass

Hello

I will be using the bullet train once from Tokyo to Kyoto and then I may use the subways in Tokyo few times. My whole trip is 10 days. I asked the hotel in Tokyo and they said no need for advance purchases of passes. However my colleague who recently visited there stated that he got a Japan Rail Pass in USA and thought it was cheaper than buying the bullet train ticket in Japan.

What has your experience been?

Thanks a lot
Mar 6th, 2017, 10:42 PM

Is your only train trip (excluding local metro systems) from Yokyo to Kyoto and back? If so, you will be unlikely to need a JR Pass.

Check the cost of your planned train journeys on Hyperdia.com against the cost of a JR Pass (you can find the prices online for 7, 14 or 21 day passes) and you'll quickly see how the maths works.
Mar 6th, 2017, 10:49 PM

Should be "from Tokyo to Kyoto and back?"
Mar 6th, 2017, 10:50 PM
Original Poster

It actually is a one way bullet train trip to kyoto. I will be flying back to tokyo then seattle.

I will look at that link when i have a chance but it appears to me that it will not be worth JR pass.

Thanks a lot
Mar 7th, 2017, 07:21 AM

Agree with Kavey. Japan Rail pass works on some but not all of the subways in Tokyo. There are three different subway systems in Tokyo and the Japan Rail pass works only on one of them. If you only need to take one inter-city train then the Japan Rail pass probably would not be for you.
Mar 7th, 2017, 07:24 AM

Based on the small amount of information you've revealed, you don't need a JR pass and a point-to-point ticket from Tokyo to Kyoto will (1) be cheaper than the JR pass (11K yen v. 29K), (2) allow you to ride the fastest train, the Nozomi express (which is not available with the JR pass).

If you have additional rides on the rail system, look at www.hyperdia.com for fare information and schedules. Make sure to INCLUDE the seat fee in your ticketing costs when budgeting.

There is no need for advance purchase of TICKETS. Generally you need to buy JR pass vouchers in the US and then exchange them for the actual pass in Tokyo (this arrangement has been updated so that in some places you can buy a JR pass in Japan). Once again, based on your information above, you will be WASTING MONEY if you buy a JR pass.
Mar 7th, 2017, 10:29 AM

You definitely don't need a JR Pass for what you have described.

A one-way ticket & hotel package is offered here:
http://www.japanican.com/en/tour/detail/SUN2GVON2/