how much $ should I bring to Thailand?

Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how much $ should I bring to Thailand?

I know everyone spends a different amount, but does anyone have any suggestions on how much I should bring in $ to Thailand. We will be there for 11 days and will split time between BKK and Phuket. We have done the backpack budget thing before (to Europe) but now dont mind spending some money to have a good time. Also should we bring it in trav. checks or use ATM's?-Thanks!
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 08:16 AM

I would take a minimum of $1500 per person so as tro ensure a good time.

I would just take some ATM cards as they are easy to use and you can get cash back when on an island where there is no ATM.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 02:51 PM
sandi

I can't give you a figure as to how much you'll need, but I assume your breakfast's will be included in your room rate. So that leaves lunch and dinner and neither are expensive even at the best restaurants (dinner).

But you only need ATM card(s) - suggest each of you bring your own card in case one is eaten or damaged in a machine - you never know. And it's best if they come from two different banks, but if not, don't worry.*

Use credit cards for hotel bills or major purchases or a large dinner bill.

Otherwise, we used a combination of Thai Baht and USD when making souvenir purchases, especially on the street if buying small inexpensive items it was easier to negotiate with USD.

If you feel comfortable with travelers checks, use them only in case of an emergency - it will cost you to cash them in - a small fee on each. Keep them safe, then redeposit them when you get home.

Personally, I spent my full allowance of $400 duty free (has since been increased to $800 person) on souvenirs and then on extra meals, drinks and didn't come anywhere near the $1500 mentioned by the previous poster. Maybe another $400, maybe. But then, all our tours and activities had been prepaid and with the exception of massages and some something??? didn't need to spend much. Except for tips and we paid these in USD - bellmen, drivers, guides, etc., but tuk-tuk and taxis in local currency.

*put aside 500 Baht (about USD$12-13), which you'll need upon exiting Thailand - must be paid in local currency. Go onto one of the currency exchange sites (a day or two before you leave to Thailand) and request a "cheat-sheet" Thai Baht/USD that you can keep in your wallet.

Have a great trip.

Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 03:56 PM

To consume anything close to $1,500 per person in spending money would be to squander one of the great benefits of traveling in Thailand, which is that it's a real bargain. Unless you're planning to load up on high-end purchases such as gold, sandi's take is far more in line with what we've experienced in several visits.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the insight. I guess I was a bit shocked by the $1500 amount thrown out. $1500 per person seemed a bit much, but as I said, I know that everyone has different spending habits. One of our reasons for going to Thailand (one of many) was that we felt that our Dollar would go further and as flyboy said, to enjoy a country that is a real bargain.
Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 08:08 PM

Ok let's rough it and go a little over the top to be safe.
B 1,000 a day will get you an a/con room with color tv, shower etc with breakfast easily. B 500 per day will get you sufficinet food, B 200 a day for a couple of beers, say B 300 for sundries, that's B 2,000 a day for 2 which is US$ 25 each x 11 days is $275.

Return flight to Phuket $ 130 each.

Transfers say $20

So far that is $ 425 each.

You can reduce that by spending B 600 a night for more basic accommodation, you can reduce the trip to Phuket down to $38 return by VIP a/con bus ( 13+ hrs though ).

If you went by bus you could increase accommodation level on Phuket.

Including spare money etc $750 would cover easily.

If yuo pay $25 a night each even for accommodation expect a perfectly OK hotel/accommodation.

$ 1,500 taking away transfers and Phuket flight leave $1,350 which is B 4,500 ++ per day which is way over the top.

High spend tourists from Taiwan/Korea spent officially about $90 a day including shopping! So $1,500 is way off the board.

Remember, $35-38 a night for 2 get's you a hotel in Bangkok with room service and all the extras, in Phuket in a beach area you can get a/con hotel room for $25 for 2, pay $40 for 2 and you are well ok.

I personally would not go for the bus to Phuket, Phuket Air and Bangkok Airways are a little less than Thai but far less flights.

Try this for links for cheap accommodation and you will see how easy to get good but cheap accommodation

http://www.balithai.homestead.com

Old Sep 3rd, 2003, 09:12 PM

i prefer a combination of trav. checks and atm...largely it depends on the service charge you will pay to cash the check (often disguised in the rate or at the hotel desk) and any fee your bank may charge for atm withdrawals overseas (sometimes as much as $10 each)...
example: at the marriott bkk, when i change $300 u.s. in trav cks, i save about $25 by going to the bank in the plaza over cashing them in the hotel lobby---that buys a thai dinner for 2 or several breakfasts or a downpayment on a piece of jewerly or 2 shirts custom made????

bring extra $$ to allow for the unexpected...larger purchases can be had cheaper with cash vs. credit cards--often they will tack on 3-5% fee for use of a card in a store (not in hotels or restaurants)...
make sure you have extra money in your checking account to cover atm w/d's for unexpected finds....and you will find lots of things
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 07:44 PM

Thailand is pretty inexpensive. We bring USD ($500 each) as an emergency back up in our money belts (we had a problem once with traveler's checks) and use our ATM card to get Thai baht as needed. Not including hotels, my husband and I didn't scrimp and never spent more than $50-100 per day on meals, entertainment, etc, most of the time it was much less than that. You can live live high on the hog in Thailand on a European backpackers budget. We're always surprised at how long our money lasts in Thailand. I went crazy buying jewelry and purses in BKK, the shopping there is incredible.
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 08:23 PM

Anna probably put it better than I did. You can travel and stay on a budget without having to accept poor accommodation. We sometimes for get that Thai people themselves travel so transport is available cheap and reliable.You certainly do not have to go for backpacker hostel or the likes for good accommodation. $10-15 a night in most places gets a you a 'hotel room', ok it's 2 star but bed, air con, h/c shower, breakfast, no problem.
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 03:27 AM

I spend considerably more than you lot on Singha beer.

But I am surprised Sandi gets by on so little nipping off for massages and the like...!!!
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 05:26 AM
sandi

I also spent on Singha beer (pretty good beer), but they're so inexpensive.

And as far as the massages - at approx $6-$7 each - pleeeeese! Even if I had a massage every day (which I didn't), it was less than $100 total.

Old Sep 5th, 2003, 09:43 AM

What sort of massages were you getting Sandi? Those are very cheap ones.
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 02:29 PM
sandi

UKUKUK -

The first massage was at Wat Po, 1/2-hr for 150-Baht. Thereafter, for 1-hr massages the prices averaged 350-Baht - at 42B/USD$1 - you figure the price.

And I specifically remember our last day in Phuket at the Laguna resort I had 300-Baht remaining and figured I spend it on my last massage.*

I do believe the price at the Peninsula in BKK was more, but we never did get around to the massages there, though my friend did have a fingernail repaired ($10), which cost as much as a full manicure ($9)in NYC and where on Mon-Wed/Thu a manicure and pedicure cost only $22.

Of course, didn't have massages at the Lisu (trekking) Lodge we stayed at north of Chiang Mai. But at the Baan Boran in Chiang Sean, the price was about 350-Baht.

* I had already put aside the 500-Baht needed to leave the country.