Baht or Dollars

Old May 16th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Baht or Dollars

In some countries we have traveled to, we get a better bargaining deal when we pay with dollars versus local currency- especially in the markets. This was due to the fact that they wanted dollars. How is it in Thailand? We are trying to decide how much Baht we should buy versus dollars. Do most places want dollars or baht?
Old May 16th, 2005, 02:00 PM

Baht.

Merchants want USD usually for two reasons:

1. In that country, people cannot exchange money to foreign dollars easily; and it's impossible or hard to get foreign goods. That was the case in Eastern Europe and China before around 1990.

2. The country is experiencing rapid depreciation. Like Hong Kong in 1983, Thailand and elsewhere in Asia in 1997. People want Dollars becuase their local currencies are worth less and less every second.

Thailand is neither right now. Therefore, Baht.
Old May 16th, 2005, 03:00 PM

I agree. In Thailand, you'll want to use baht. Some vendors will take US$, but you won't get a better price (and may get worse). There are some places in SE Asia where you need US$ - Cambodia especially.
Old May 16th, 2005, 04:37 PM

i have never used dollars in thailand nor have i seen them used...

don't get money before you leave home...you will get a better rate in thailand....maybe get $50 before if you feel uncomfortable...

use an atm card....its the best way and get it directly from your account at home...there may be a service charge from your bank, but not generally from any thai machine...
there are banks at the airport and also atms...

many money changers do not charge any fee for exchanging dollars or trav. checks...i like the window next to the gas station at the corner of sukhumvit and soi 4.....no fee and open late...
Old May 17th, 2005, 07:11 AM

In Thailand you use Baht, no vendor wants dollars, it's a hassle having to change it and most unless dealing with tourists wouldn't know the rates, it's Thai baht.
Old May 17th, 2005, 07:45 AM

Just exchange some money at the airport in Bangkok. There are machines in the baggage claim area where you can just insert a U.S. bill...I think 10s and 20s work best... and then out come Baht. I use these machines all the time upon arrival. While I'm waiting for the luggage to come down the carousel, I just go over to the machine first and exchange my money and then get my luggage and I'm all set. Once you leave baggage claim, there are also banks in the airport...in case the machines are out of cash which I've only experienced once. It's very convenient.When I was in Bangkok, in August 2004, I used the airport bank...since I wanted to exchange a larger amount... and there was no one in line ahead of me.The exchange rate was quite decent...higher than if I had bought baht at home...which I have never done. Since most long-haul international flights arrive late at night,the airport banks are still open. Happy Travels!
Old May 17th, 2005, 08:40 PM

guen---never seen those machines...i shall look for them tomorrow...
Old May 18th, 2005, 07:52 AM

The machines are right across from the baggage carousel...against the wall. They've been there for years.Happy Travels!