Money in Thailand

Search

Money in Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Money in Thailand

Hi all, we are leaving in a few days for BKK and I’m not sure how I should be dealing with money. We fly out of Vancouver so should I convert Canadian to U.S. dollars then convert to Thai baht or can I just use my bank card at the atms and get what we need? Is carrying some U.S dollars a good idea or does it matter? I have pre paid all our hotels and domestic flights and will use my Visa where possible but will need some walking around and shopping money. Thanks….er
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 04:10 PM

Just get Thai baht from an ATM machine at the airport. No need to take American $$
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 04:26 PM

ATM is the most convenient way to go, BUT check your bank charges first. Some US banks charge a pretty hefty fee for using an ATM overseas (B of A charges $5 + 1%), so you pay for convenience. The local banks do not charge you anything.

For 'safety', even if you decide to use your ATM, you might bring a couple C$100 notes with you, which can be exchanged at any of the currency exchange booths around Thailand.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 06:18 PM

Another tip is to make sure you have 'more than 1' card that can be used in ATM, I usualy work on the leave 1 in the safe and 1 in the pocket.
I also in fact carry more cash that most simply because not much chance of loosing cash from a pocket and even if I did lose a note or 2 personal opinion is I can live easier with loosing a note that panic of loosing a card(!)
Eash to their own though, but whenever I travel I find keeping ready cash easy and so far so good(!)

Another point which some remberber but some also 'forget' is to remember to note down those all 'vital' call numbers for lost cards, sounds a minor thing but many people travel and forget to actualy 'write down' those numbers you need to call in the unfortunate circumstance of loosing a card !!
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 06:20 PM

Just adding probably what others have said, C$ easily exchangeable, pointless converting to USD, you can reaily change Canadian Dollars no worries.
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, very valid points....er
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 06:57 PM

I actually have an email that I sent to myself that includes the phone numbers of any card I use overseas plus a scan of my passport and alien registration card.

If I lose anything I have all the info readily available at any internet cafe!
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 04:04 AM

Eurotraveller. Thats just about the greatest tip i've got in a long time! Thanks! i'll b sure to use that next time i travel.
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

WOW would never have thought of that, Thank You very much....er
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 08:35 AM

Besides the email to myself with vital information, I put the phone numbers for my ATM and credit cards in my cell phone.