how much cash?

Search

how much cash?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2006, 08:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how much cash?

I'll be in Tokyo for a week from April 1st to the 8th. How much cash should I bring (US dollars)? I'll have my credit card, of course, but I hear the smaller stores, resturants, etc...only accept cash. Should I bring $500? $1000? Is it hard to get cash from an ATM with my debit card? Any sort of guideline would be appreciated. thanks!
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 08:42 PM

I am also wondering about this since friends have had their debit cards maxed out while in Japan...
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 09:49 PM

Our US bank ATM card has a $500.00 limit per day. Yours may differ, of course. I'm always wary of travelling with a large amount of cash, even in Japan where theft as such isn't so big a problem. It does happen though, and it still could be accidentally lost. Traveller's checks are safer, and can be cashed into yen during banking hours (usually 9 am until 3 pm, M - F) at banks with foreign exchange counters...no shortage of them in Tokyo. You have to use the same banks to exchange cash, so traveller's checks vs cash is no different in terms of where you can exchange. The rate for each is similar. Your hotel can do exchange in all likelihood...but their rate will be lousy.

It is not hard to use ATM's. The post office system is set up for international cards. The machines have an English menu if you choose English on the initial menu. The machine will talk to you..kind of neat. http://www.yu-cho.japanpost.jp/e_a0000000/aa200000.htm The machines are easy to find...post offices, of course, as well as many department stores, some convenience stores, shopping centers, street corners, hospitals...many, many.

Bank ATM machines, with the exception of Citibank, will not likely accept your foreign ATM card for cash withdrawals.

Credit cards are widely accepted. Because I get lots of points for using my Japanese credit card, I literally buy everything with it...groceries, pay phone bill, gas for the car...The places that won't take cards are fewer and fewer. Stalls that sell food, for example, won't...but most restaurants do. Most stores do, even the smaller ones.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 10:40 PM

It is pretty easy to find the Citibank ATM at Tokyo Narita airport.

When I arrive at Nagoya airport on April 9, for an 8-night visit, I will have two $100 bills tucked away in my wallet and about 12000 yen. I'll go to the ATM at the airport and get 50,000 yen. Will use a cc for lodging for the first four nights, and then will use cash for the last couple of nights lodging if I am not spending it. All my other spending will be cash. I expect to return home with the two $100 bills. I don't see any need for traveler's checks as the ATM is the way to go.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 10:59 PM

The card I use at the ATM is a Visa check card, like a debit card, and it won't be used for anything other than cash.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 11:22 PM

last minute disaster for me when I did my accounts last night -- my debit card may be maxed out while I'm in Japan IF a large payment I made in February is presented!?!

At least I can make back-up plans, but I hate not being in control and I don't fancy doing the backup*!&!
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 07:21 AM

What do you mean by a debit card "maxed out". A debit card deducts money from your bank account. It just depends on how much money you have!

The limit is the daily withdrawl that KimJapan has described in her reply.
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 11:12 AM
Lyd

Just keep in mind that your card (like all other conveniences of modern life) may suddenly decide not to work - like ours did in Japan for no obvious reason. We don't know if the strip got damaged or demagnetized or whatever happens to these things but it was a BIG drag as we didn't have enough cash or trav-checks w/ us. Just luckily had some friends in Tokoy to borrow from.

Lyd
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 11:59 AM

Good point, Lyd. I often bring along a second ATM card. My bank is always accommodating and glad to issue me a duplicate card.
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 05:38 PM

I just spent 5 days in Osaka area. I brought $450 US that I converted to Yen before I left and I had approx $250 left over (3000 yen). I paid for the hotel on my credit card and breakfast was provided at the hotel. My only expenses were train and subway and entrance fees (all reasonable) plus a light dinner.

I couldn't believe how little I had spent....
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 08:40 PM

That is Remarkable!!!! Five days in Osaka, and you only spent an average of $40 per day for entertainment, touring, and dining???? In Japan???!!!! Wow!!

FOr a five day stay in a major Japanese city, I would advise anyone else to have at least $100 per day/per person for expenses (excluding hotel).
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 09:47 PM

well rkkwan, maxed-out means that the limit (daily or sliding 30-day limit for purchases and 7-day for cash withdrawals) has been reached. We don't have credit cards where I live, only debit so although I have the ready funds I will not be able to use them.

Luckily I have other cards and I will bring some yen.
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 11:53 PM

One reason that your card could quit working is because your bank suspects fraud. If it is a new card or if you are using it diferently than in the past, then they might freeze your account until you call them and verify that it is ok.

Call in advance to tell them that you are going to be using the card in Japan (or any other foreign country) and the dates of your trip.
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 04:15 AM

Theresa: I assume you meant thirty thousand Yen not three thousand Yen which is more like $25.00 not $250.00.
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 05:03 AM

Interpred - yes, sorry. Part of jetlag. I had 30,000 yen left over.

I spent very little money - not purposely. I stayed at the Hilton/Executive Floor and had breakfast provided. Drinks and canapes were provided through out the day/evening.

Most of the train rides cost $5 each way (Hemeji was the exception). Most entrance fees were 500 - 700 yen. The exception was the aquarium and I probably could have done with out that. We did a tour in Kyoto which was approx $40 US.

I expected to have to use an ATM in Japan but didn't have to.

We went to Nara one day, Kyoto another, Hemiji and then toured around Osaka.
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 12:56 PM

Do the ATM's in Japan charge a fee just for using them, like they do in the US?
Old Jun 24th, 2006, 03:37 PM

If you use an actual post office machine, they do not assess a flat fee, just a currency buy/sell difference in exchange rate, which is the same as if you exchange traveller's checks. Your home bank may assess a fee for using machines other than their own. You need to ask your card issuing bank about that.
Old Jun 25th, 2006, 09:16 AM

Two bits of advice, one which has been mentioned already. If you are new to international travel, or a seasoned traveler with a newer debit/credit card let your card issuer know that you are traveling so they will not deny the charges as possible fraud.

Secondly be aware that retailers or banks in Japan are not very quick in posting charges. You might not get charges posted you your account for 2-3 weeks. This can provide some heartache when you get your statement later and find your account overdrawn and several over the limit fees charged.