hotels with balcony in KL/Singapore

Old Feb 18th, 2007, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

hotels with balcony in KL/Singapore

Hello, I'm looking for hotels in Kl and Singapore that have a balcony. We're travelling with a little one and would like an evening retreat. Can anyone help?
In KL budget about £40, but singapore, we're prepared to spend up to £90ish if worth it.
Thanks, I have searched various agents but hard to specify balcony, and most don't mention it as a feature.
Ruth.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 05:37 AM

I can't think of any right off though I have stayed at plenty, others may come in, but many hotels in Singapore and KL are very high rise and personaly I would not want to sit on a balcony high up, you might well find that they are not allowed anyway because of the risks, I think very possible that they are not allowed above a certain number of floors high. I think a balcony high up in a high rise hotel can be pretty dangerous, especialy if you have a toddler, that would be a real worry with any kids being in a high room with a balcony.
Add to that the humidity/heat, I would go another weay about it and that is find a place that gives you more space, if you are there for a week a serviced apartment might be a much better idea.
Even if anyone knows of any I would in my personal opinion not do it because of the safety aspect with a toddler.
There are quite a few serviced apartments and that would give you extra space.
There were comments a while back detailing some and I will top them if I find them, perhaps somewhere with extra space or perhaps a ground floor room with access to a verandah area would be good.
Also do tell us your budget, no point suggesting a high end suite if you want 3 star.
In KL about USD 100-130 would get you a Junior Suite in a good class hotel, I don't know what that is in Euros but quite reasonable,m a studio at the Ascot KL about USD 130 , that gives you kitchentte also , a real bargain the Allson about USD 65 for an Executive Suite.
http://www.moveandstay.com/singapore/ has serviced apartments in the USD 150 a night range.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 05:41 AM

Ruth, look at the thread I have topped 'place to stay ingapore' and it mentions Frasier apartments and some other ideas. For KL I think it is easier, just get a Junior Suite at a 3 star as the rates are so cheap there.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 06:15 AM

One hotel that immediately comes to my mind with balcony in Singapore is the Swissotel Grand Stamford. Not sure if £90 can get it though.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 06:22 AM

For KL have a look at Lanson Place. I think that some of their rooms had balconies, but I would share Jame's concerns.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 08:38 AM

rkkwan is correct that the rooms at the Swisshotel the Stamford (did they add Grand to that? I'm not sure) has balconies. The balconies are very small, just enough space for two of you to stand and be amazed by the view. This is the tallest hotel in Singapore, so the views are spectacular. But if you have any fear of heights, you won't be able to tolerate going out on the miniscule balcony if you are on a high floor.

That said, I agree with James, that a balcony will not give you a retreat from the little one. Get yourself a suite at a lesser hotel and you'll appreciate the extra space. It is very hot and humid in both KL and Singapore, and even at night, a balcony is not especially hospitable.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks guys, you may be right. I do agree about the toddler+heights scenario, though we'd only use it after she was asleep. I'll defo look into a suite or appartment thanks.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 12:39 PM

Kathie - Sorry, you are right. Just Stamford, no "Grand". I was thinking about something else.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 03:00 PM

ruth, We traveled to Singapore frequently when our son was young and we always chose the Garden Wing at the Shangrila for exactly the same reason that you describe. The balcony functioned as another room, a place to relax, talk, have room service when the little one was (at last) asleep.

I happen to like heat and humidity especially those languid tropical nights, so the weather didn't bother me, but I thoroughly agree that toddlers and highrise balconies don't mix. The Garden Wing is low rise and if I recall properly seemed to be child-safe.

The rate at the Shangrila may not be within your budget, but if you do consider it make sure you request Garden Wing, pool view.