Reasonable hotel in Singapore for single lady

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2008, 10:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all, I am visiting my son in Singapore in a couple of months and would like a hotel in any location that would be recommended for a 5 days stay en route to Bali. If possible could I get a nice hotel for 100 singapore $ a night.? My son is unable to put me up as he is just in a tiny serviced apartment for a couple of weeks. Obviously a hotel near transport would be a plus. This is my first trip to Singapore and from my search I can see lots of wonderful things during the day on my own. Many thanks.
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 01:15 AM

Unfortunately, hotels in Singapore have been getting rather dear. The International House (YMCA) gets mentioned here quite frequently. You might also try the Strand.
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 02:06 AM

It will not be easy for S$ 100 at all. You have Frangrance Hotels and Hotel 81's but I would not recommend, rooms are tiny and I just do 'not' think you would like at all.
As Michael said the rates continue to go up, I saw some amazing statistics on price increases !
I used to budget around S$ 130-150 but nowadays same hotels are in the S$200 range easily

About the cheapest would be perhaps Royal peacock Chinatown, probably around S$125

Had you though asking your son to look around nearby for somewhere ?
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 02:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help. Funny I had The Royal Peacock and the Summer View Hotel as 2 possibilities. And yes my son will do some research for me as well. Singapore is more expensive then what I anticipated. i thought it would be around the same prices as hotels in Bangkok. But Singapore is a lot safer and cleaner.Much appeciate your help.

Fenima
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 02:53 AM

New 7th Storey is a place that gets good reviews. I haven't stayed there, but location looks good.
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 02:58 AM

Here's their website. http://www.nsshotel..com
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 02:59 AM

www.nss.com
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 03:01 AM

I am a spaz. Can't get it right, can't edit.
Last try...
www.nsshotel.com

Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 07:22 AM

We are currently staying at the South East Asia hotel on Waterloo Road, next to Bugis Street. Decent sized rooms, clean, safe and breakfast included for S$100 per night for a standard double for 2 inc Chinese breakfast. My one complaint is that the aircon is a bit noisy.
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 03:42 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Hi Fenima -

I live in Asia and travel to Singapore frequently. Hotel rates have increased by 38-42% for 2008, as there's currently a hotel shortage in Singapore. I've recently done quite a bit of research on Singapore hotels for myself and I've found some decent deals, but they're all above S$100.

I've stayed at the YMCA International (2*) mentioned above. I paid a corporate rate of S$135++, but by the time I paid the taxes, it was more expensive than some much nicer 3-4* hotels I found through online booking sites, which often include all taxes AND breakfast.

Here are a few places you might look into -

Bayview Hotel on Bencollen Street -

I recently paid US $117 for a double room, inclusive of all taxes and breakfast for two - modern, simple, clean, appeared newly refurbished. Hotel is a 5 minute walk from the Dhoby Ghant MRT station, and there's a great food hall around the corner for cheap eats. I'd happily return to this hotel. I booked through www.lastminute.com, but many booking sites have the same deal.

Parkroyal on Kitchener Road -

I recently paid US $126 including all taxes and a great breakfast for two, had a room with KS bed, flat screen TV, great service. Really liked this hotel and plan to return. It's located in Little India, right across the street from the MRT station. There's a good, inexpensive Indian restaurant in the basement too - Jewel of India.

I booked Parkroyal on Kitchener Road through www.hotelclub.com

Lots of deals to be had if you do your homework - be sure to check cancellation polices, as most of these are non-refundable or have stiff cancellation policies.

Here are a few more sites to check:

www.hotelscombine.com
www.agoda.com
www.wotif.com

Good luck.
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 12:33 PM

We used to consider Singapore a great deal for high end hotels, particularly on the weekends. We recently looked at the rates for an upcoming trip and were surprised at how much they've increased. We decided to opt for a night in Bangkok instead.
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 02:22 PM

Though I've not stayed there, we have reservations at The Perak Inn, also in Little India, for later this year. Wouldn't you fodorites who know Singapore better than I include that hotel on this list?
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 05:29 PM

Fenima - have you tried booking a package (airline/hotel) with whom ever your flying with to Singapore?
The reason I say that, I have booked a 7 night flight/hotel package with Qantas Holidays here in Australia, and it worked out cheaper than me emailing the hotel for accommodation, or booking my flight on the net. I normally do the latter, but my Travel Agent showed & booked both for me, beter than what I could do, so sometime packages do work out better.
I will be there in June, not to shop but to see some relatives from the UK, we decided to meet half way, between UK & Oz. I guess Singapore has changed a little bit, it was about 25 years ago, that I was stayed there.
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 10:38 PM

Tropo makes a good point. For some reason, Singapore has a lot of fly/stay combo deals. If you're flying from the US, a hotel for a few nights might be practically free. SQ uses the Carlton, and others, all nice hotels.
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 01:34 AM

check out this http://www.hangouthotels.com/
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Original Poster

Many thank you's for all your help. I have now a choice of 5 hotels to choose from within that $100-$110 per night range. The reason I am not doing a package is that my sister flies with Qantas and I am her nominated family member, so I am eligible for the staff discount. This makes it easy if I see a few empty seats a couple of days in advance. I then try to get on that flight. But gosh everyone seems to want to visit Singapore, or stop over on the way to Europe. Look forward to visiting for the first time.
Old Apr 4th, 2008, 09:48 PM

So many of the cheapest are around Geylang and I doubt that would suit you.

I also some something about Singapore hotel rates 34-35% up on 1 year ago! I see places we used to pay SGD 138-158 now well over 200/220 a night.

Do also factor in other costs, although SMRT is cheap being walking distance to SMRT is going to benefit you and also being in an area that suits where your son will be.
My humble opinion is to make sure you 'enjoy' the visit and perhaps think about saving a little here and there and then making sure you stay somewhere nice/reasonable, convenient for SMRT and where you son is.