hotels siem reap

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 06:47 AM
Ruth

hotels siem reap

Has anyone been to a 5 star hotel in
Siem Reap other that the Grand that
was very nice and clean.?
Any excellent gurides that you would recommend?

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 08:43 AM
Mary Anne Cook

Our guide was a young woman Chrek Savon(first name) who was great.email address [email protected]
Telephone012 83 41 82
She is English and French speaking.
This hotel in which we stayed is 4 star but it was right in the town of Siem Reap and we found it very nice-small with a good restaurant. The name is Ta Prohn Hotel
email:[email protected]
Fax: (855-63) 380 116 We were there in Feb.

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 09:11 AM
plummie

We also stayed at the Ta Prahn and found it completely acceptable. We had booked through Diethelm Tours and our guide was through them. Don't have his name but he was outstanding.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 05:50 AM
Mary Anne Cook

The info I gave was off business cards I received while there. You will find the hotel Ta Prohm but the phone and fax no. I notice are different than the internet. I did not find on the internet the tour guide that I mentioned to you,but Savon is excellent. The Vongratna Uch is not listed on the internet. Sorry about that.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 09:06 PM
mari

ruth--

a strong recommendation for angkor village. stayed there last january after fleeing hotel stung across the river. it was an absolute oasis, and at $120-$150 much more reasonable than the grand. also had them arrange car and driver for me, tho driver didn't spk english. u can ck out photos, rates, amenities at

http://www.cambodia-travel.com/hotel...age/index.html

good luck!

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 09:34 AM
Kathie

Mari, I'm glad to hear your review of the Angkor Village. I have reservations there for December. I've heard wonderful things about it through the travelers grapevine.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 06:03 PM
Judy

I wasn't too thrilled with Angkor Village when I stayed there last year. It came highly recommended by a travel agent friend, but we were very disappointed in our room. Very basic accomodmations and the walls were thin (unfortunate since there was construction going on during our stay). I suppose there's a certain charm to the style of the place -- little bungalows surrounded by gardens -- but I thought they could have done more to make the rooms more comfortable, especially since they were charging so much compared with other hotels (not including the Grand). Also, be sure to bring your mosquito repellent since they didn't have any mosquito netting around the bed (and it was needed -- I got multiple bites!). The hotel was building a new addition, so those rooms may be better. Also, they may have renovated the older rooms. I have to say, though, that the staff was wonderful and charming.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 06:05 PM
Judy

Also, I heard the Sofitel is supposed to be nice. It was being built when I was there, and I hear it has opened already. Good luck and have a great time!

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 07:13 PM
Kathie

Judy, Which room type did you stay in? I understand there is a regular, a deluxe and the suites (which sleep 4). I've heard from others that the regular rooms are pretty basic, but that the deluxe were nicer.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 08:23 PM
mari

kathie/judy--

our disparate experiences might have something to do w/ the type of room. i was w/ a friend and my parents, so we had a two-storey bungalow--very spacious, w/ beautiful traditional and modern teak furniture, a lounge/tv area, two beds upstairs and two down. only drawback was that there was one bathroom. overall it was a lovely suite (i assume this was the 'suite'), and since we were 4 people, the $150 rate seemed a bargain.

i sympathize w/ judy, tho--any mosquito in any room in southeast asia is cause for major stress!