Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Malaria in China - should we be concerned?

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 04:59 PM
Anat

We are traveling to China at the end of September for a month. Should we take Lariam if we will be in Hong Kong, Gulin, Kunming, Xian, Kathmandu, Tibet and Beijing?
Anat

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 05:44 PM
Kathie

Check the cdc website. It has the best info on areas where you need anti-malarials and the best drug to use.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 06:01 PM
andrew

No.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 06:55 PM
Andrea

I agree with both of the above posters. First, you need to check with the CDC website and/or your local travel clinic, since they are the best sources for evaluating travel risks (they will know if there has been an outbreak somewhere). But in general, no, it won't be necessary in any of those places.

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 09:38 PM
John G

I have been to all of these places save Kunming and Tibet. I never took any anti-malaria medication. I was in the jungle of Nepal and I used mosquito repellant. I think I was bit once. I think it depends how long you are going to be there and the season. I would take the anti-malaria medication if I was going to be there for a couple months, or if I was there during the Monsoon. Although I chose not to use Lariam, I do know that a gay couple I knew did go to Africa three years ago and they BOTH DIED from contracting malaria. But, this was Africa. How lucky do you feel, sweetie??? Love, John G.