Search

Hotels nera Ratsada Pier

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2007, 02:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels nera Ratsada Pier

Hi,

We're flying from Chiang Mai to Phuket and will be trying to catch the last ferry to Phi Phi Island.In case we won't be lucky enough and miss it, please can someone recommend some decent hotel nearby the Ratsada Pier so that we can jump on the first ferry the next day?

Many thanks.
Katerina
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 02:53 AM

You 'can' stay in Phuket Town but although there are some average 3 star places if you are arriving around midday you might as well enjoy that time, perhaps one of the places just south of Phuket town would suit, what is your budget range ?
Also in this case do you simply want to overnight or do you want to use that night for shopping/eating out ?
If you stick to Phuket Town or south you are limiting yourself somewhat, personaly I would not spend that afternoon and evening in Phuket Town, it might save you 30 minutes but you might as well enjoy that afternoon and evening on Phuket. Cape Panwa south from Phuket Town would be a nice option, but you can broaden that out nicely by staying perhaps at Kata Beach.
This Maps also helps explain:
http://www.r24.org/phuket-luxury-hot...panwa/details/

Now look at where it says Phuket Town, now look left side of the island and 'down a bit' and you see Kata Beach, so it's not going to be a biggy to stay there, and any decent enough place will have you well sorted to make the first ferry.
You don't have to waste that time on Phuket, if you need to overnight why not 'enjoy it', somewhere like Kata Thani, but if you are mindset to stay that bit close then maybe the Cpae Panwa or the Evason.
Phuket Town is the provincial town on the island, so although has shopping I would 'strongly' suggest taking the chance to stay at a nice resort.
The resort will arrange nice comfortable transport to the ferry and quite probable you won't be the only ones going.

Are you taking the Thai non-stop Chiang Mai to Phuket ? That really is the flight to go for, just the one flight per day non stop.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 02:56 AM

The Thai flight is due to arrive ( if you are on the non stop ) at 1310.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 03:15 AM
Original Poster

Hallo JamesA,

Yes we are on the non-stop flight. We really are hoping to catch the ferry but if we don't, I don't want to get stuck without knowing our options... and if we do get 'stuck' we would love to see at least a little bit of Phuket so it would not be a problem at all to travel to Kata beach. My only concern is that the hotels in that area will be probably fully booked, what do you think?
We arrive at 13:10 as you mentioned, do you think we could hire a taxi after finding a hotel and see at least the Phromthep Cape and maybe the Kata View Point and maybe end at Rawai beach for some coctails/seafood... do you think this would be too much for half an afternoon?
Many thanks for your help.
Katerina
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 04:50 AM

You can get seafood at rawai but it's not like a swimming beach or anything, but good seafood down that way.
Which month are you traveling ?
That connection to the boat really is a race and it is cutting it just 'so tight'.
If you think about it, having that craze rush to get the boat with a high risk of missing it, you would end up probably loosing what you have paid for that night's accommodation, and anyhow getting there late afternoon.
My personal advise would be instead of risking to loose out on what you have paid for that first night on Phi Phi is to book yourself for that night on Phuket and avoid the race and the stress.
Then head over in the morning. You only need to get stuck behind some truck to totaly mess up your plans, and of course potentialy loose what you have paid for that hotel for that night.
I would think it more relaxing to change plan ( up to you naturaly ) and take a relaxing stress free journey down to Kata, relax, pool, beach or spa, have a nice meal and perhaps a little shopping.
Then early trip over in the morning.
That way you can book 1 night on Phuket ahead of time and cancel that rush.
Which month and time of month depends how busy but even now mid Jan onwards the absolute peak will drop somewhat though still busy, so when are you traveling?
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Hi JamesA,

thanks for your reply.

Well that's the thing, we're travelling exactly in 3 weeks, leaving for BKK on 2.2. and will arrive in Phuket on 12.2. ...
We haven't actually paid for our accommodation on Phi Phi yet, we have only put down a deposit for 1 night and we also explained the situation with the ferry to the lady who owns Phi Phi Villa Resort and she was very understanding and won't charge us for the 1 night and we won't loose our accommodation if we miss the ferry (which I thought was very nice of her)

I know what you mean about just relaxing on Phuket for that night but I think I would like Phuket too much and wouldn't want to leave! If I stop there I don't want to just stay for 1 night, that's why we will try and catch the ferry but if we don't it's ok too that's why I wanted to know where we could possibly stay and hotels we could just walk in and get a room... we're preparing for RTW trip so this might be a valuable experience! ;-)
Thanks and any input is welcome.
Katerina
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 05:08 PM

Ok in 3 weeks would be early Feb so that should not be too bad and good you have made that arrangement regarding Phi Phi.