Hotels in Kyoto April1-5

Search

Hotels in Kyoto April1-5

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15th, 2016, 09:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels in Kyoto April1-5

I never thought that they would be all sold out. I have only found righa royal in Kyoto for the above dates so far and it is an overpriced rate. I like to be in a location that I can walk to most places. Any suggestions for hotels during these dates? Thank you very much
Old Dec 15th, 2016, 09:24 PM
kja

I just looked at Kyoto on booking.com and see a range of options. I don't know your budget, but you are aiming for one of the most popular times to be there, and am not surprised that you are finding that most available places are on the pricy side.

If you aren't willing to pay the prices being asked, consider staying in Osaka.
Old Dec 15th, 2016, 09:30 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>> and it is an overpriced rate<<

Probably not 'overpriced' - they charge what people will pay, and as kja says you are visiting at a popular time. Places will be booked solid before very long.
Old Dec 15th, 2016, 09:30 PM
Original Poster

Budget is not an issue my dear. I am an MD and have earned this vacation...
Simply put, the hotels that I am looking for are sold out.

Anyone out there has any favorites that are still available during this period? Thank you
Old Dec 15th, 2016, 09:40 PM
kja

BTW, "my dear," Kyoto is spread over a very large area. There is really no single district from which you (MD or not) can "walk to most places" that most people want to visit -- you will likely need to rely on public transportation. There are places that allow you to walk to some sites, to roam some interesting neighborhoods, and to reach public transpiration. I have no idea if any of them are still available.
Old Dec 15th, 2016, 09:41 PM
Original Poster

I am willing to pay up to 700 dollars a night for a single

room of a good hotel in a good location in Kyoto. The righa royal gave me a room with four single beds for that price because it was their only room left. On the other hand, TripAdvisor gives me more options. Are these alternative websites other than the hotel as reliable?

Thank you
Old Dec 15th, 2016, 09:44 PM
kja

I have used booking.com almost exclusively for more than 10 years. Many Fodorites and many other experienced travelers use it regularly. That is why we recommend it.
Old Dec 15th, 2016, 09:50 PM

When I visited Kyoto the last time, I had much of the same trouble. I opted to stay in Otsu City, Shiga Prefecture - it was only 2 stops by train to Kyoto Station, still had some good rooms, and the city is still unknown to most and doesn't sell out as fast.
Old Dec 15th, 2016, 11:45 PM

>>Budget is not an issue my dear . . .<<

Whoa -- why the snark?

<i>You</i> are the one that said they were over priced.
Old Dec 16th, 2016, 10:32 AM

LOL @ my buddy, kja!!
Old Dec 16th, 2016, 10:45 AM

We stayed at the Hyatt - get on the Hyatt site and see what is available.

I wouldn't use just any site that TripAdvisor sends you to (indeed, I wouldn't use TA), but booking.com works well.

As mentioned, the idea that you can walk to "most" things in Kyoto is simply incorrect. You'll need to use public transport or a taxi. We used taxis during our stay as we had limited time - just 5 days in Kyoto - and lots we wanted to see.
Old Dec 16th, 2016, 10:57 AM

Or get a vrbo or airbnb and put your high payments as a doctor to good use.
Old Dec 16th, 2016, 02:03 PM

Janis, ditto.
Old Dec 16th, 2016, 04:25 PM
kja

@ janisj & Kavey: For a moment, I thought it was snark, too – and then I decided that I must have misread the message. Perhaps it was "bed-side manner"? (Oh, my! )

@ MinnBeef: Thanks, buddy!
Old Dec 16th, 2016, 04:36 PM

Nah - it was snark
Old Dec 16th, 2016, 05:15 PM
kja

@ janisj: I’m not convinced that she meant to suggest that ONLY physicians earn their vacations. She just meant that as … whatever, right?
Old Dec 17th, 2016, 01:52 AM

I forget that MD in the USA usually means medical doctor - here I think the assumption would be Managing Director.

Either way, when a first post brings up price it's a very reasonable response to explain why prices are high, and not very nice to respond that price isn't an issue with a misplaced term of affection added on to the end. Just comes over as condescending.

To the topic...

Certainly, we found that hotels in Kyoto were unexpectedly expensive for the exact same period in April this year, and the one we ended up booking was particularly so, but all we could get in the location we wanted for our 7 night stay. But on the first night, we realised that even in such a busy period, it wasn't worth the price, especially given the unusually crappy staff attitude (not a norm in Japan) and the horrific foot traffic infront of the hotel making it hard to get in and out!

So we decided to move. That's when we actually realised there was a holiday coinciding with the first couple of days and if we stayed put for nights 1 and 2 but moved for the last 5 we could find a far bigger choice at a more reasonable rate. We cancelled the last 5 nights without cancellation charge (as per the cancellation terms) and booked the hotel we stayed at the previous time we were in Kyoto, for a far better rate. I bloody love booking.com!

But to be fair to hotel 1 - they were charging stupid money because they were well aware that there were very very few hotel rooms left available in Kyoto on that holiday weekend and the demand was absolutely there. Hotels are run for a profit and supply and demand pricing makes sense, much as we may not like it from our point of view.
Old Dec 17th, 2016, 05:35 AM

Well, the dear doctor has left the building...
Old Dec 18th, 2016, 02:18 PM

It would appear so. Perhaps she was paged to a "dear emergency".
Old Dec 19th, 2016, 06:42 AM

nah...the good Doc is being deposed in her malpractice suit (or is it suite?)I missed my chance for a direct post to her....I was merely going to say "La-de-dah"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -