Hotel @ the BKK Airport

Jul 21st, 2011, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Hotel @ the BKK Airport

We will fly into BKK from Krabi and arrive around 2 pm. We leave the following morning at 6:50 am for VN. I was thinking it might be easier to stay at the airport then in the city and have to get to the BKK airport so early in the am. We will have already spent a week in BKK. Is that a good idea to stay at the airport? Any suggestions for an airport hotel? Thanks!
Jul 21st, 2011, 12:05 PM

With that much time, I'd stay in the city where you can do some shopping and have a great dinner. There is nothing of interest out by the airport. The hotel at the airport is a Novotel, and tends to be pricy. Agoda often has good rates, but they are still often in the $150 range. The hotel itself is fine, nothing special. You could certainly get a much better room for the same price in the city.

At the hour you would need to leave for teh airport, there is very little traffic. Normally that early I can get to the airport in 20-25 minutes from my hotel by the river. You should allow 30 minutes just to be safe. Form the Novotel, the shuttle runs twice an hour, so you won't really save yourself much (if any) sleep by staying at the airport.

There are a couple of newer hotels near the airport - though it takes 20 minutes to get there - a Best Westerm and I think a Comfort Inn. Neither are as nice as the Novotel, nor as expensive. They do still have the disadvantage of being in the airport area where there is nothing to do of intereest.
Jul 21st, 2011, 12:40 PM

we never stay at the airport even with 5:35AM flts... go in town, have a nice swim and a good dinner and get up early....
Jul 21st, 2011, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Ok, thanks...u've convinced me. suggestions for a one night stay in BKK?
Jul 21st, 2011, 02:25 PM

>>>suggestions for a one night stay in BKK?<<<

Ahhh, one night in the City of Angels...where to begin..

Now, warm greetings yestravel (great handle). Not knowing your ultimate budget (and nocturnal lifestyle), will still suggest some of my all-time cherished Bangkok business (and occasional pleasure) travel properties.

Big time budget: some sweet suites at the Mandarin Oriental or Peninsula. I've loved my occasional times in said suites; quite enjoyable with a loved one.

Can't resist mentioning two sentimental favourites: a certain cabana lodging at the Four Seasons and my 'special room' in the Krungthep Wing at the Shangri-La. Memorable moments at both places.

Finally, my latest 'find', the St. Regis. Have stayed just once with her (last month) and will return next week for more meetings. BKK business travel bliss.

If had to choose, will suggest the river for you. Just timeless. (Especially if you are fortunate enough to land my special room at the Shangri-La. Don't get me wrong; I love the Oriental and Peninsula rooms/suites, but for my work in Bangkok, that room, corporate promos, balcony, staff and friends and yes, those late-night masseuses...well, hope you get the picture.)

Would love to mention more but it's another Friday flying day for me (guess that all-time cherished Asian airline), so will close with best early weekend wishes to you and all.

macintosh (robert)

... Singapore Girl, You're a Great Way to Fly ...
Jul 21st, 2011, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions, macintosh. I should have mentioned budget -- nowhere near the Peninsula or St. Regis. We'd like a moderately priced hotel (~$150 or so) in a good location for a nice dinner and making an easy getaway to the airport in the early am.
Jul 24th, 2011, 06:01 PM

We stayed at The Century Park Hotel in Nov. which would be in your price range. It is in a good location for transport to the airport early in the morning. It's a fairly decent old-syle Asian hotel (i.e. not really modern looking) but clean and comfortable.
Jul 24th, 2011, 06:41 PM

i've stayed at the novotel at the airport. excellent. skip the chinese restaurant. awful food.
Jul 25th, 2011, 05:44 AM

>>>Thanks for your suggestions, macintosh. I should have mentioned budget -- nowhere near the Peninsula or St. Regis. We'd like a moderately priced hotel (~$150 or so) in a good location for a nice dinner and making an easy getaway to the airport in the early am.<<<

You are most welcome, yestravel; pleasure.

Re your quoted budget, will also suggest another fine riverside hotel, the Royal Orchid Sheraton; worth checking her website for rates/deals. (Of late, I haven't stayed at the property all that often for work - mostly Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit and now the St. Regis for my BKK Starwood business travel stays.)

The ROS has always been a delight. In particular, Floor 25 and the always appreciated 'lounge benefits'. (I wrote a brief review of the ROS for Fodor's a few years back and a search on this and other boards will reveal some truly fine ROS reviews with pictures.)

I'll be back in Bangkok for meetings later this week, so perhaps will have more suggestions for you. Until then, enjoy your planning.

robert
Jul 25th, 2011, 12:48 PM

chatrium riverside
majestic grande
marriott courtyard
marriott mayfair---best choice
marriott sukhumvit park
Jul 25th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

Thank you -- I booked the marriott mayfair. IN terms of time needed to get to the airport, check in. Kathie said 30 minutes drive to airport. How much is needed to check in and get to gate? We're on Air Asia.
Jul 25th, 2011, 08:10 PM

air asia is a long walk and usually they have bus gates so that takes longer...

kathie's estimate is for the min. drive door to door and i would double or triple that for safety... actually i would allow almost 2.5 hours total for myself... remember air asia is very strict...

you will love the marriott mayfair and its street is very nice with tons of places to eat... the roof pool is the best roof pool in bkk imo...
Jul 26th, 2011, 05:43 AM

Yes, my 20-25 minute estimate is the drive time, door to door from the Royal Orchid Sheraton to the Airport. Even in the middle of the day or in the early evening I haven't had it take more than 30 minutes, perhaps due to the proximity of the expressway.
Jul 26th, 2011, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Yes, thanks, I realized 30 minutes was the drive time. So you're saying total time from the Marriott Mayfair to airport, check in with Air Asia and get to gate that we should figure on 2.5 hours?