Hotel recommendation

Search

Hotel recommendation

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2023, 09:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel recommendation

First time visitors to Tokyo as a transit stop. We arrive at 6 AM at Haneda on day 1 and depart at 11 PM on day 3 from Haneda. Is our best bet to get a hotel for 3 nights covering the night before day 1? On the last day, will hotels typically hold bags for a few hours after checkout?

What areas would you recommend? We are a family of 5 and typically end up staying in Airbnbs when we travel. Any thoughts on Airbnb vs hotel in Tokyo?
Old Jun 6th, 2023, 07:46 AM

As you arrive early on Day 1, reserving a hotel room the night before means that a room will be available to you as soon as you arrive. Alternatively, you can roll the dice and the hotel may assign you a room when you arrive early if one is available, although the hotel would be under no obligation to do so. Most hotels are able to store your bags, whether it's you arriving before check-in or if you check out and plan to stay in town afterwards. What type of accommodations and what areas to stay depends on your interests and needs.
Old Jun 7th, 2023, 01:35 AM

Unlike many countries, IME Japanese hotels seem to be very focused upon NOT letting you into a room before the allotted time. I would certainly book the nigh before but I would also make sure to advise them of your arrival time and and get their confirmation that it is ok and they will hold the room for you. As there are 5 of you and if you need adjoining rooms or multi bed rooms or similar, I would just go on to booking.com and set your filters accordingly. Not sure I would go AirBnb for such short period, if indeed it is possible.

It seems you will have one full day there so ia would probably look at somewhere around Shinjuku state. Last time there we stayed at Hotel Gracery which was convenient for the station and getting around the city and reasonably so for Haneda.
Old Jun 7th, 2023, 10:55 AM

What is your lodging budget? That could affect your ability to communicate with the hotel.

You are going to need to work this out with the hotel before you arrive because:
1) if you book for 3 nights and are a no-show for the first night then they very well may cancel your reservation (i.e. if you didn't communicate with them in advance). They may charge you for that night, as your reservation might be guaranteed for late arrival. The late arrival period will probably have ended by the time you get there.
2) you really want an early check-in and only pay for two nights. You need to ask if they can do this. They might say ok, but can't guarantee it. They might say ok, sure, no problem. You might want to get to your room at 8AM but they say you can't have it before 11AM. They might say no.
3) you want to ask about a day rate. They might have one at a significant discount from the overnight rate. You should be able to find a day rate at the hotels in/at the airport. I have some expectation that hotels in Shinagawa would offer a day rate.

Am thinking you might be arriving at 5:45 AM on the JAL flight from JFK (it is an AA codeshare).

Last edited by mrwunrfl; Jun 7th, 2023 at 11:28 AM.
Old Jun 7th, 2023, 11:21 AM

>> will hotels typically hold bags for a few hours after checkout?

Typically, yes. They will also hold your bags before check-in, if you want/need. I would expect it, that is, given that Japan has takkyubin and hotels would have storage space for that. Maybe not to be expected at a lower priced business hotel next to the station.

There is luggage storage at the airport. You could consider combinging only what the 5 of you need for those days into one or two pieces of luggage. Store the rest of the luggage at the airport. There are coin lockers at many railway stations.

Storing luggage is not a reason for getting a room before regular check-in time.
Old Jun 10th, 2023, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone!