Search

Kashgar

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2023, 08:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kashgar

I was considering travel to Kashgar. A tour operator whom I had contacted pre-covid, contacted me and we exchanged emails. Then, no more communications. I tried contacting other Kashgar, local tour companies, and either no response or dropped communications. Does anyone know if there are problems on the USA side or the China side. Anyinsight would be aopporeciated.
Old Jun 9th, 2023, 04:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I visited Kashgar in 2001. I loved it, although the heavy hand of the Han Chinese was already in evidence.

There is no way I would visit Kashgar, or anywhere else in Xinjiang province, today. Are you not aware of the extreme repression, possibly genocide, to which the population is being subjected?

https://www.cfr.org/backgrounder/chi...e-human-rights
Old Jun 9th, 2023, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply.
Old Jun 9th, 2023, 11:55 PM

Frankly, i do not believe the Chinese authorities want any strangers visiting Xinjiang now. Those pesky human rights, probable weapons development, religious repression are all present in western china.
The interesting mosques i saw in Hotan, now gone?
More on the CCP dislike of religions here:
https://www.npr.org/2021/10/24/10470...s-sinicization

But the christians too has been told to remove the cross from the steeple. Coz only ONE thought is permitted in china.

Suggest you take the train from Beijing to Ulan Battor and visit Mongolia for an off-the-track escape.
Old Jun 10th, 2023, 12:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for insight. If not a pandemic, then geo-politics. I understand why some people might not opt to visit this area (due to latter).
Old Jun 10th, 2023, 01:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Suggest you take the train from Beijing to Ulan Battor and visit Mongolia for an off-the-track escape.
​​​​​​​Or go up the Karakorum Highway on the other side of the border in Pakistan.