Reload this Page >

Hotel in Hong Kong

Search

Hotel in Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 04:43 PM
alleyne

Hotel in Hong Kong

I am flying into Hong Kong in May 2003 for 2 day stopover enroute to Vancouver.Any tips on inexpensive hotels to stay at. is Hong Kong or Kowloon better? What is the cheapest way to get to and from the airport? Do any of the hotels have shuttles. <BR>Thanks alleyne

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 05:33 PM
Michael From New York

Inexpensive doesn't quite fit Hong Kong unless you stay at the Chungking Mansions on Nathan Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon. However you might cheaper accomodation outside the city if you go further up into the New Territories Cheapest way to get into the City is likely the Airport Express. Try looking at Shatin. Sure, the nicer hotels have shuttle bus firms that they work with - but that wouldn't be a cheap hotel.<BR><BR>M

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 08:43 PM
karen

If you know the date already, you could try priceline.com.hk<BR><BR>A 3 star hotel in Kowloon should cost no more than US $50 per night.

Old Oct 25th, 2002, 06:27 AM
Kris

www.Priceline.com.hk is a good idea but I think I would wait until the dates got closer as the hotel is nonrefundable and should your plans change you'd be out the money. I imagine that the prices drop as the dates get closer. Go to www.biddingfortravel.com, at the bottom there is a link for Priceline Asia that may help you.<BR><BR>You might also try www.asiahotels.com or www.asiatravel.com or www.circleofasia.com for discounted rooms.<BR><BR>I think the airport express is the best way to get into HK from the airport, here's a link that describes the service<BR>http://www.hkairport.com/eng/aguide/airportex.html<BR><BR>There's also a bus service that is cheaper but it might add to your time and wouldn't provide the free shuttle from the stop like the Airport Express does.<BR>http://www.hkairport.com/eng/aguide/bus.html

Old Oct 26th, 2002, 03:31 PM
alleyne

Thanks for the information.

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 02:01 PM
ali

I will be spending 2 nights in HK on february 12-13 and I also wonder if I should stay at HK island or kawloon .my trip is mostly for touristic reasons shopping and dining recomendations appreciated!!I have already reserved a room at shereton kawloon for 1000 hkd..any comments?? thanks already

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 03:25 PM
Kris

Ali, we're staying one night at the Sheraton next week, I'll post when I get back and let you know how it is and how convenient it is.<BR><BR>I booked it through www.priceline.com.hk for 650HK per night, a good rate considering it's high season.

Old Nov 5th, 2002, 09:36 AM
Ann

I'd try the YMCA next to the Pennisula in Tsim Sha Tsui for a GREAT location cheaper facility. If you got really lucky you could even get a Harbor view room. If location is not so much a factor I'm sure others have good suggestions.

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 12:19 PM
Kris

Ali, I was pretty underwhelmed by the Sheraton and was very glad I only paid 650HK for it. However, I assume since I was a Priceline customer that I got one of the less desirable rooms in the hotel. It looked like it could use some sprucing up-the bedspread was a bit dated, the carpet a little worn, the bathroom definitely could use some renovation. Perhaps it will be one of the rooms on the current renovation plan. Parts of the hotel were under renovation (workers didn't start until after 9 am), the pool was closed and the weight/exercise room relocated.<BR><BR>On the positive side, the location was pretty good, just a few minutes away from the Star Ferry/harbor, on Nathan Road near all the pricey shopping. And I asked another guest who was a Starwood preferred guest what he thought of the hotel and he said he loved his room, perhaps this is a &quot;you get what you pay for&quot; incident.<BR><BR>We spent time on both sides, the Star Ferry is very cheap (2.2 HK or 1.7HK), quick and frequent and you can also use the MTR to get across.<BR><BR>We enjoyed the other hotel we stayed at, The Eaton Hotel, also on Nathan Road but about a mile from the harbor. We paid $97US per night including breakfast for a superior room and I thought it was much nicer than the room we had at the Sheraton. I booked it through www.asia-hotels.com. It's close to the Jordan MTR station, the Temple Street night market and the jade market.<BR><BR>A couple of dining recommendations-Yung Kee on Wellington Street on the Central side for Dim Sum and Jade Garden on the Kowloon side for Dim Sum.

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 12:23 PM
a

Another vote for the Y. Same location as the Peninsula but far different tariffs.

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 09:04 AM
ali

Thanks for the information,and the recomendations Kris.