Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Seen Hong Kong, Bangkok and Singapore, need I bother taking another trip to Asia to see the big cities in China?

Seen Hong Kong, Bangkok and Singapore, need I bother taking another trip to Asia to see the big cities in China?

Sep 9th, 2002, 01:46 PM
Jerry

I have been to Asia four times and have seen Bangkok, Hong Kong, Singapore and KL.

Now my wife wants to visit China. My response, I have seen the Chinese scene. Am I wrong? It is such a long trip to China!

Sep 9th, 2002, 01:55 PM
Emily

China is not big cities. Don't come here for that. Come to see history and culture in smaller places. View antiquities, minority cultures, mountains, etc. Check with www.jc-tours.com for some ideas.

Sep 9th, 2002, 06:44 PM
Andrea

While the cities you've mentioned are great, they're not at all "the Chinese scene". I think Ho Chi Minh (Saigon) is much more similar to a Chinese city than Hong Kong. Hong Kong is its own unique universe & I don't think there's anything like it in the world. But it's not "China".

I agree with the above poster, too, and wouldn't recommend coming to China for the big cities. Tourists go to Beijing not BECAUSE it's a large city, but because it happens to be home to so many cultural treasures.

My favorite tourist moments in China have been exploring smaller neighborhoods or the countryside, which is very different from any other country (and I am NOT typically an outdoorsy/scenery person).

I find China a fascinating place, not just for the typical tourist sights, but because of its role in the world. China has had a long and remarkable history, and for me holds an irresistable appeal. I think it's incredible to be here, in a country that was closed for so long, to see the progress that this country has made in such a short time, and to see how people live.

I suppose it depends on the level of appeal China has for you and your wife. If she wants to see the Great Wall, Tienanmen Square, the Forbidden City, and to see how people in China live today, she won't be disappointed. And I think you'll enjoy it once you get over the long flight, too!

Sep 9th, 2002, 06:45 PM
Michael

Jerry,

You all have seen a British Colony (Hong Kong - been there 30+ times) commercial Thailand (Bangkok - also been there lots), another British Colony in Singapore and KL. (haven't been to KL)

Agree with Emily in that you have still to see the culture of China. One can not even get close to experiencing the Great Wall, Terracota Warriors, Guilin/Yangshuo river scenery, the many mountains, rivers, etc. in China (let alone the people) that you have experienced in the places you have visited.

Michael

Sep 11th, 2002, 04:33 AM
Kerry

THe two big cities in China are almost identical to Hong Kong.

Sep 11th, 2002, 06:55 AM
Anna

I agree that all the big cities are not the same. Beijing has incredible history. Definitely enough to see to spend 7 days there. The Great Wall, Forbidden City, Tianamen (sp) Square just to name a few. I would also spend a day or two visiting the countryside or better known as the village to see how the people of China really live.

Sep 11th, 2002, 01:28 PM
Ada

I agree with the previous posters. I have been to all those places, and I have to say China, or I should say mainland China is very different. All those places you have mentioned are very modern/ developed cities, while most of China is still in a developing stage. Many places in China are definitely worth seeing, given its long history, cultures, diversity within the country. Please keep in mind that there will be 'more work' visiting China because less people speak English there, toilets might not be as clean, have to watch out more for pickpcokets and people trying to swindle you to buy Chinese art... but they are not things that should stop someone from visiting, just have to be prepared for a different kind of experience. Have a great trip!

Sep 11th, 2002, 01:45 PM
Patty

"have to watch out more for pickpcokets"

Ada,
In my experience, China has relatively little petty crime, unless you are talking about a specific location in China where I haven't been. At least, I don't think that comment applies to the country as a whole. Just want to keep things balanced as it may give readers who haven't traveled to China the impression that pickpocketing is a major problem there. I've encountered many more problems with petty crime in Europe than I have in China.

Sep 11th, 2002, 03:24 PM
Ada

Hi Patty,
Sorry about the typo and generalisation! I don't mean there is a huge petty crime problem in China, just perhaps some places more so than Singapore or Hong Kong, the places Jerry has mentioned. I just would like Jerry or others who have not been to China has an understanding of what to expect at times, as I have seen people on this board complaining about going to Asia and seeing dirty streets, poor people, 'third world conditions'... All I wanna say is many places in China is very much worth seeing, just have to know what to and what not to expect!

Sep 11th, 2002, 08:04 PM
chinachow

Singapore is not like a chinese city. It is more like...Orlando. China is the most beautiful country in the world..believe it or not.

Sep 11th, 2002, 11:27 PM
Carrie

I have been to China three times and will go back at the drop of a hat( that is if someone is paying for my fare).

Sep 12th, 2002, 01:04 AM
cindy

i'm a singaporean and have been to HKG, BKK, many parts of Malaysia, and many other parts of Asian. My reply is: yes, you should make another trip to Asia just to visit China. You can travel 6 months in China and not see even half of it.

Sep 12th, 2002, 03:07 PM
Roberta

Recommend you take Korean Airlines to Beijing. You will find the service great and flight time tolerable. Stay at Holiday Inn in Beijing. Book on internet and get weekend deal. Have airport shuttle and shuttle to city.
Must see the Wall and Tienamen Sq. Highly recommend you fly to Xi'an to see the warriors and to Guilin to take boat down Li River, the latter being true China. Depending on how much time you have include Suzhou and Hangzou outside of Shanghai which are heritage villages depicting ancient Chinese life style. Also if you have time go to Lijiang in south another heritage site that has spectacular scenery and perfect for walking about. Stay there in the Grand Hotel in center right opposite heritage site. You will not be sorry you went to China. I have travelled to many Asian countries never on a tour.

Nov 12th, 2002, 10:17 AM
xx

STAY HOME ! The world doesn't need more bored/boring travelers like you. You've seen it all, right? Seen the scene? Did the do? You're just too cool already. I pity your wife.