Search

Hotel in HK

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2007, 03:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel in HK

To all of the experts out there...I am looking at my options for hotels Oct. 20-23 in Hong Kong. Just as I was going to settle on the Renaissance Harbour View (because of a decent price for the three days of 9763 HKD for a deluxe harbour view room), I saw that there is a very big convention during that time. I understand that this hotel is connected or close to the convention center and that it gets quite busy when folks are attending a convention. So I looked at the JW Marriott, Grand Hyatt, Metropark and Ritz Carlton. I would like a view of the harbor, so that is a factor, and I would like to pay less than 13300 HKD if at all possible. Can anyone tell me if they would recommend one of these hotels over another, or if there are others I should consider? Thanks for your help!
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 05:18 AM

Grand Hyatt is in the same complex as the Renaissance Harbour View.

Metropark is not in the same class of hotel as the Ritz Carlton or JWMarriott.

An alternative would be a Club Room at the Langham Place in Mongkok, including breakfast (Expedia $463), which has a panoramic view of Kowloon.

Or you can try something quirky like the Lan Kwan Fong Hotel at Kau U Fong. Their habour view suite is HK$4,000 a night, for total of HK$13,560 with taxes and fees. You have a suite at the top floor with private balcony.
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 05:22 AM

Anther choice with harborview:

Harbour Plaza in Hung Hom. Club floor harborview with breakfast ($438 all-in, asiahotels.com)
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 08:04 AM

we stayed at the island shangri- la two years ago, going back again in two weeks, fantastic hotel!!!!1
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your thoughts. Actually, Island Shangri-La was my first choice, but it is booked for those dates.
Old Sep 29th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Oops, sorry - I meant that the Kowloon Shangri-La was booked for those dates. I will check on the Island Shangri-La.
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 06:56 PM

I would not worry so much about the crowds at the Renaissance. The hotel is across the street from the convention centre, but as noted above, so is the Grand Hyatt (they share a pool deck). I don't think you would find the hotel overstretched or noisy during that time. The rooms have some nice harbour views (admittedly of the "wrong" side of the harbour but still can be interesting, and nice at night). I prefer the location of the JW Marriott/Island Shangri-La and Conrad (not a lot of harbour view rooms at the latter) just because you can walk to more things from there, and it is walkable to Central. You have a longish walk to the MTR from the Renaissance, and you may be queuing for taxis more than you want (that would possibly be more noticeable during a convention). But if the price if right for you, I would not worry too much about it.

I think the Ritz-Carlton is also a good choice, nice location in Central. You would have to specifically ask for a harbour view, as many of their rooms do not have one. The one thing about the Marriott is that the rooms can be small, so ask about this when making a reservation, some are larger than others. For a good view you need to go up as high as you can, and even then some of the views are going to be a little obscured by other building. You have to be in exact right spot for a good view from a room there, basically above the middle of the lobby.