Hotel Help in Kyoto

Aug 11th, 2005, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

Hotel Help in Kyoto

I am going to Kyoto for the first time in September. I am looking for a nice (four or five star)hotel in a good location. I am traveling alone, and would like to be able to walk to and from my hotel. I love walking, and I like taxis; I do not usually take subways when I travel - I like to stay above ground.

I just reserved the Westin Miyako, but I am concerned that it seems to be a little out of the way. Can someone please enlighten me? How does The Westin compare to The Granvia, The Okura, The Brighton?

Thank you.
Aug 12th, 2005, 01:39 AM

Bonjour Fishskis,

I've only stayed at the Granvia, which was really good. Others have also praised it on this board. It is a bit far from city center and a number of the "must see", but its location above the station means you're at the best place to take advantage of Kyoto's excellent bus system and taxis. In addition, you might consider renting a bicycle, one of the best way to move in Kyoto IMO. The tourist office (inside the station) can help you locate bike rental offices.

OTOH, ground transportation to anywhere in the city is very good and provided you're ready to walk or bike, the location of your hotel will not make a trememdous difference.
Aug 12th, 2005, 06:41 AM
mjs

Most of Kyoto's attractions are spread out in the city. The Westin location is fine and the hotel is quite agreeable. They also have a hourly shuttle bus to the train station which is convenient.
Aug 12th, 2005, 07:35 AM
emd

Stayed there and loved the location. You can walk to Higashiyama area easily, and in the other direcion from the hotel you can walk the path of philosphy and go to the good restaurants known for their tofu dishes. And Keage subway station is next to the hotel. And the view form the hotel observation deck is stunning. And lastly, don't make the mistake I made and think that taxis are as expensive in Kyoto as you hear about in Tokyo. I didn't take taxis in Kyoto til the last two days when I realized that it was only an $18 fare from the Westin to Kyoto Station- a 25 min. drive across the city. From what I'd heard about taxis I thought it was going to be $100 or more- but that is TOKYO taxis, not Kyoto taxis, that people complain about.
DO get a bus map. As Florence said, buses are great to Kyoto and usually drop you off right were you need to go, usually on a straight shot.
Aug 12th, 2005, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

It sounds like maybe there really is no "center" of Kyoto. I still have not heard anyone say "the _______ hotel is in the perfect location".

Thanks for the help everyone. The Westin it is.