Imported Alcohol and Confiscation

Aug 12th, 2005, 03:56 AM
Original Poster

Imported Alcohol and Confiscation

In the HK duty free shopping thread, the possibility of excess imported alcohol could be "confiscated" was mentioned. This is not done in the US and several other countries where I've had direct experience ... but are there countries where they confiscate? Anyone with direct experience with confiscation?
Aug 12th, 2005, 04:24 AM

When I went to Bali a couple of years ago, the customs agent saw that I had one more carton of cigarettes than was allowed in. He threatened to take them away. (I had purchased them at JFK duty free). I told him I would stand there and smoke them all before I would let him take them and my husband looked at him and said "she will, too". He let me and my cigarettes go.
Aug 12th, 2005, 07:42 AM

usually they just charge you duty
Aug 12th, 2005, 07:54 AM

I wouldn't have argues with that but it never was mentioned as an option. Maybe he was waiting for an offer of a bribe, umm, I mean tip?
Aug 12th, 2005, 10:24 AM

back-sheese---spelled wrong of course
Aug 12th, 2005, 10:40 AM

Bali customs agents are notorious for corruption. They are known to confiscate alcohol and cigarettes or shaking down those that exceed the limits for "duty".
Aug 12th, 2005, 07:13 PM

Malaysia/Singapore Road border was a problem for us in Mar 2005. I bought a bottle of Vodka in Mumbai with a 10US price tag on it. Sing official wanted to confiscate it until I insisted I had no knowledge of difference between road & air borders. You can bring in duty free liquor by air but not road! They let me keep it. It's common for Singaporeans to buy cheap grog in Malaysia where the duty is less.