Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Message for Bob re;Bangkok Mariott Resort.

Aug 10th, 2005, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Hi bob,I have been following your posts closely over the past few months and have decided to book the Marriott for 6 nights to start our 3 week trip to Thailand.It will be our 9th visit to Thailand in the last 15 years but the first time since 1990 that I will be spending any extended time in BKK.I read on a previous thread about some photos that you have of the Marriott that you have offered to email to other fodorites and I was hoping that you may also not mind sending theses to me? My email address is [email protected].
I am travelling into BKK on the 10/10 with my wife and two young children(4 and 6)and I am dreaming of Thailand day and night(it may be an unhealthy obsession)Cant wait to try some of the fabulous restaraunts that you and others have recommended.I hope to hear from you soon....shane from oz.
p.s I did actually make the same request on another thread but I thought you may have missed it.I dont want to sound too pushy by asking again but I would love to see your photos..
Aug 10th, 2005, 06:39 PM

they will be on their way shortly...someone else sent me a request today and i just sent them...they are not fabulous...my best ones are here in my photobooks...why don't you drop by and see them...OZ---too far to come for a drink i think...

i will be glad to assist with anything you want ....i have a rough restaurant list which i will send to you also...

don't believe the posting about tongue thai...it is excellent, imo...

also there is a pic of the marriott mini mall and the next pic or so is of a thai restaurant in the mall...go there it is very cheap and not bad...easy with the kids...also mcdonalds and burger king and sizzler (ugh) and pizza hut in the mall and swenson's ice cream which is very good...
Aug 10th, 2005, 06:52 PM

done
Aug 11th, 2005, 07:46 PM

Shanek- your kids will love the Marriott. We stayed 4 nights in July with our 6 and 8 year olds. Try to get a Deluxe 1 bed suite if possible. It was fabulous for our family. The kids couldn't get enough of the pool and the river taxi!
Aug 11th, 2005, 08:21 PM

tnnc---did you need to use the life jackets for the kids???
Aug 12th, 2005, 12:57 AM
Original Poster

Bob,thanks so much for the photos.It all looks so fabulous.Only 58 sleeps to go!Tnnc,did you upgrade to the suite when you got to the hotel? If so,how much did they charge?We are booked into a junior suite which i believe is just a larger room with a partition of sorts between the bed and the sitting area.I might look into joining the marriott club as we may be back next june to celebrate my 40th.We stayed at the marriott in Hua-Hin 2 years ago,I should have joined up then.Thanks also Bob for the restaraunt list.It will certainly come in handy.
Aug 12th, 2005, 07:13 PM

I booked the Marriott through Bob's favorite site huahin.20m and they were offering free upgrade to the next level if you stay min. 4 nights. I had booked a Jr. Suite for about $140/night including taxes, and that allowed us to be upgraded to the Del. corner suite. It was the best room we had in Thailand and we stayed at the Conrad and Rachamanka also. I actually have picts of the suite, but haven't figured out how to put them on the computer. Basically its a huge corner room divided into long entry hallway at the end of which is a wet bar and dining table, then short hallway with 1/2 bath into living room, and then 1 bedroom with full bath next to that. Also has a wrap around porch/balcony. It was great for the beginnning of the trip as our kids were very jet-lagged and waking in the middle of the night, and I was still able to sleep while they were in the other rooms.
Bob- I did bring and use the life jackets. I noticed only adult ones on the boat and all the other children wore nothing. I did write a comment on the Marriott's survey that they should have children's life jackets on their boats. I felt better having them, but I have to say as the trip went on I became more lax about safety issues-for example in my in-laws' village my kids rode on a motorcycle(scooter) and rode in the back of a covered pick-up truck, just like all the Thai kids.
Aug 12th, 2005, 07:43 PM

tnnc---i wondered how it all worked out...with your next kid you probably will buy him/her their own motorcycle at age 15...