hotel for last night in Bangkok

Old Oct 26th, 2017, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hotel for last night in Bangkok

Looking for advice re where to stay our last night in Thailand. Our flight home doesn't leave until 3:30 in the afternoon, and I know us well enough to know that on our last day we won't be in the mood for any serious sight seeing. So the hotel doesn't have to be right at the airport. What I'm looking for is something no more than an hours drive away from the airport, but where we can linger and feel pampered on our last morning. If there was a Wat or museum or park right next door then we might wander over, but mostly looking for something with atmosphere for our final night. Don't worry about cost in making recommendations, we'll figure that out as we search. Thanks
Old Oct 26th, 2017, 05:58 PM

Our guide recommended either Novotel or best western by the airport. Booked the BW, but haven’t stayed there yet.
Old Oct 26th, 2017, 06:01 PM

SO Sofitel near Lumpini Park. Most Downtown hotels are less than an hour from the airport.
Old Oct 26th, 2017, 06:56 PM

Just about all the Downtown and riverfront Bangkok hotels are an hour or less from the airport if you need to be there around noon. If you want someplace atmospheric, the Anantara Bangkok(formerly Four Seasons), St Regis, Sofitel, Sukhothai, Peninsula,Oriental etc are all good and in neighborhoods where you can enjoy wandering. Two less pricey ones that I like are the Hansar hotel and the Anantara Baan Rajprasong (sp?), both in the same neighborhood as the Anantara Bangkok and the St Regis. There is a skytrain stop near these and you are very close to the shops and great food options at Siam Paragon.

The Novotel is at the airport, walking distance. Nothing to do in the immediate area area that I'd call remotely atmospheric, and not really a great hotel either. Overpriced due to it's airport location with mediocre food options and a boring pool.
Old Oct 26th, 2017, 09:42 PM

I agree with lcuy and also with the Anantara Siam (formerly Four Seasons and Regents Hotel), my favorite, as that hotel structure has been a regular of mine since the early 2000s. It's a beautiful, low-rise structure (rare for Bangkok) and with some really good restaurants. I eat breakfast there nearly daily and also eat regularly at Biscotti which I love. There's also a Thai restaurant, Japanese restaurant, and Madison Restaurant inside. Plus, that neighborhood is great as it's in the heart of things and with plenty of low-key wandering around to do and the Rajadamri sky train station is a 2-minute walk away if that.

I also like the Hansar, about a 1-minute walk around the corner from the Anantara Siam. I've stayed there quite a bit. Very zen-like and relaxing. It's on a very quiet, residential, cut-de-sac.

As for the Anantara Rajaprasong, haven't tried it yet, but am booked into it for 2 weeks, along with 5 nights at the Anantara Siam. They are one street over from each other.

The St. Regis is nearly next to the Anantara Siam and I've also stayed there and drop in regularly for a snack before either going back to my regular nearby condo in back of the St. Regis, when I have a condo, or either going back to either the Hansar or Anantara Siam.

As for the Pen, have also stayed there, but personally am not a river fan and especially the opposite side of the river. But, I will have a stay there on the upcoming trip as it was free on Expedia. I'll probably use it as a spa day and relaxation day and won't be crossing the river until I check out the next day. I personally dread having to get on a boat to cross the river. I dread having to get on a boat period and taking the river taxi to get to the place that makes my custom clothing is enough and is only one stop. Many times I just get off the sky train at Saphan Taksin and walk instead of taking the river taxi.

I really liked the Oriental Hotel and hope to someday return there for 1 night. Plus, the company that makes my custom-made clothes is 1 minute in back of it. I tried to get The Oriental over The Pen, for one night, but it wasn't available for when I wanted to book it. Maybe I should check again.

As for the Sukhothai, I've eaten there, but haven't stayed there but was given a thorough walk through of a lot of its rooms about 15 years back. Beautiful hotel. But, personally, I don't like that neighborhood as I find it dull. But, I do go to that neighborhood to eat at Nahm Restaurant inside of the Metropolitan Hotel and also where I stayed once, to try it out, back when it opened about 17 years ago, I think it was. I was at Nahm both this year and also in 2016.

As for the Sofitel, mentioned by lcuy, I haven't tried it out.

So, those are my thoughts. Happy hotel shopping.

Happy Travels!
Old Oct 27th, 2017, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

thanks all, exactly the information we need!
Old Oct 27th, 2017, 02:39 PM

You're welcome. Good luck in finding a place that suits you. Smiles.

Happy Travels!
Old Oct 27th, 2017, 05:41 PM

I forgot to add that the Anantara Siam provides a cell phone, for guests, and free calls to the U.S. and some other countries. Very helpful.

Happy Travels!
Old Oct 28th, 2017, 10:20 AM

we love the anantara riverside, or any hotel along the river. we love taking the free shuttle boats that the riverside hotels offer. all of these hotels have excellent restaurants: anantara riverside, Shangri-La, royal orchid Sheraton (least fav), peninsula, chatrium riverside, Hilton, Oriental and more lesser hotels. anyone of these would make for a lovely last night's stay and an easy getaway to the airport.

if ir were me, I would just hang out my last AM at a wonderful hotel pool.. at the latest you need to be on your way before noon.