Hotel De La Paix changing to Park Hyatt

Mar 28th, 2012, 09:13 PM
Original Poster

Hotel De La Paix changing to Park Hyatt

I just thought I'd post a quick update on this bit of news. The Hotel De La Paix in Siem Reap will close in June for a big refit, then open early next year (2013) as a Park Hyatt. Full story here:

http://www.examiner.com/luxury-hotel...yatt-siem-reap

Hyatt seems to be on the move in Asia. There's another one opening in Bangkok later this year, near The Emporium.
Mar 29th, 2012, 05:37 AM

Very interesting. Thanks for the info, Michael. I'll also be interested in reports on the new Park Hyatt in Bangkok. The area near Emporium is a good location.
Mar 31st, 2012, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

It's going to be another one of those big years for hotels in Bangkok.

The Hyatt under construction is a Grand, not a Park, I think. It's just a few doors down from Lemongrass.

Just up Sukhumvit at around Soi 22 (or 20? Right on the corner of one) is a new Holiday Inn that's just topped out. It looks like it's going to have a roof-top swimming pool that hangs over the edge. Holiday Inn is also opening its first Express hotel in Bangkok, right smack at the National Stadium Skytrain station. They're advertising the heck out of it locally, even though I don't think it will open until late this year.

Sofitel's first 'So' in Asia just opened, catty corner to where the Suan Lum night bazaar used to be. It's quite swank, and there's a 'chocolate bar' in the lobby that's worth checking out. Sofitel opens another, 'just Sofitel' branch at Sukhumvit 15 Next month.

Regent is planning a comeback to Bangkok soon, and we'll get a Waldorf Astoria next year, I think.
Mar 31st, 2012, 04:09 AM
Original Poster

Oops, forgot about the Okura, a luxury Japanese hotel opening soon next to the Ploenchit Skytrain station, utilizing the top floors of a high-rise building just opened. There's another branch (the third in Bangkok) of Dean & Delucca in the building's shopping arcade.

There are probably more I've forgotten.
Mar 31st, 2012, 07:31 AM

I thought the Hyatt in Bangkok now was a Grand Hyatt? I'd love to see them open a Park Hyatt in Bangkok.

Well, lots of new options for hotels in Bangkok. This will be the first year many years that we won't be in Bangkok in Nov/Dec. But when we are in Bangkok next year it may be time to try a new hotel.
Mar 31st, 2012, 07:48 AM

Planning to be in Bangkok for a brief visit in September, hopefully there will be some soft opening rates around!
Mar 31st, 2012, 07:50 AM

Kathie, save those Hyatt points this Park Hyatt won't be cheap.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/...d-on-the-cards

Aloha!
Mar 31st, 2012, 08:08 AM

Shame to hear about HDLP. I thought what made that place so unique was that it wasn't a chain. That, and how much they invested back into the community with their programs, trained locals, etc. Guess that'll all be going out the window as soon as corporate America comes beckoning.
Mar 31st, 2012, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

The Park Hyatt hawaiiantraveler linked to is in the project going up on the old British Embassy grounds on Ploenchit, not the one going up near the Emporium. I'm pretty sure the one opening this year is not a Park Hyatt, but it may not be a Grand either, although the existing Grand must be getting close to the 30-year mark, so the land lease will be up one of these years.

There's a huge construction project going on across Sukhumvit from the Emporium. I have no idea what it is yet, but it looks almost certain to include a mall and more than one tower block.
Mar 31st, 2012, 11:52 PM

Another mall in Bangkok??
I too really liked the HDLP when we stayed a couple of years ago and I hope that the Park Hyatt keep up the community projects, I guess it's a watch this space....
Apr 3rd, 2012, 02:01 AM
Original Poster

Just read somewhere today that the massive project across from Emporium is "Emporium II".

In other hotel news, the Eastin Grand opened yesterday. It has a bridge connecting it directly to the Surasak BTS station.
Apr 4th, 2012, 03:23 PM

>>>It's going to be another one of those big years for hotels in Bangkok.<<<

(indeed)

Many thanks Michael for the updates; always appreciated.

My last Bangkok business trip (last month, St. Regis, for a few days of meetings) entailed a bit of evening hotel management/staff conversation and conjecture regarding a certain Siam hotel down by the river. (Website : thesiamhotel dot com) Thoughts on her progress/prospects, you, and those dwelling full-time in the beloved City of Angels? I'll be returning to BKK early next week for some pre-Songkran meetings -- perhaps will have more to share.

Thanks again (and for briefly hijacking a Cambodia-based opening post) -- and for what it's worth, some truly fine Bangkok hotel openings and deals over the past several months. (And some fine SQ flights, SIN-BKK -- and well beyond.)

Warm and early Easter greetings to all from a warm and pleasant Singapore morning.

macintosh (robert)

... Singapore Airlines, You're a Great Way to Fly ...
Apr 4th, 2012, 09:22 PM
Original Poster

Ah, The Siam, that one has been dragging on for so long I'd forgotten about it. No idea what's happening right now.

Speaking of projects that have been dragging on, I've been meaning to check if Aman still has a sign up outside the old customs house. As anyone who takes the river boat knows, there's still no sign of the harbor police moving out, and I think Aman signed the agreement to develop that site nearly 10 years ago.

One more upcoming opening that comes to mind is the W, built around the old Soviet embassy. The tower block looks rather ugly from the Skytrain (as does the St Regis for that matter) but that's probably just because you're looking at the parking garage.
Apr 5th, 2012, 05:34 AM

Yes, every time I go past the old customs house, I wonder when they are going to do something with it!

Where on the river is The Siam?
Apr 5th, 2012, 03:23 PM

>>>Where on the river is The Siam?<<<

Location is rather near the Krung Thon bridge, a *bit* north of my main riverside work/leisure hotels. (However, The Siam is touting its very own luxury speedboat to whisk guests to and fro; gotta love that effort and marketing.)

And, rather recent news to report re The Siam. Received a missive, informing the property will commence welcoming guests this 11 June, with 'soft opening' rates for the first several weeks. And yes, yours truly has taken the bait (with a *bit* of prompting from the mrs.) for a July weekend stay. Plan is to stay a few nights at The Siam upon completion of my scheduled July Bangkok business trip.

(And Michael, understand your impressions of the St. Regis exterior. Perfect world, I would be staying at that sentimental Four Seasons for in-town meetings. Various professional reasons will have me at the St. Regis for the foreseeable future -- and no complaints; special staff and friends with most agreeable corporate rates, perks and new-found 'special room'.)

All for now; warm morning Good Friday greetings from warm Singapore. Soon, this rather fallen Episcopalian will be attending a Buddhist ceremony with certain family members. Man, I love living and working in SIN. Fly on over sometime, fodorites. (And you know the airline.)

robert

... Singapore Girl, You're a Great Way to Fly ...
Apr 5th, 2012, 03:52 PM

I do hope you'll give us a full report on your stay at The Siam.