Hotel Choice Luang Prabang

Old Oct 12th, 2005, 08:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel Choice Luang Prabang

We are planning a trip to Laos in early March. From what we are reading, we'd better book hotels soon. There are a few very pricey (but nice) choices, and some "mansions" that have been referred to. Kathie, and everyone else, what are your choices for this area.
Thanks
Joyce
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 11:08 PM

Take a look at www.pansea.com - the Residence Phou Vao is a gorgeous property. We stayed there and it was marred quite a bit for us by an arrogant manager but subsequent posters have said brilliant stuff about it. You need to think about whether you want a city experience or a resort experience - I would suggest city but the Pansea provides a great balance. COnde Nast's Gold list this year recoed another. Villa Santi is a 3rd. For a more resort outside town experience options are the Santi Resort and the Grand.
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 03:58 AM
ccc

We stayed at the Pansea this summer and couldn't recommend it more highly. On the other hand, we were traveling with our children and needed/wanted a place with a pool, of which there are limited options. If a pool were not a prerequisite, I think it might be nice to stay in town.
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 05:49 AM

rumor has it that the search function is working again. Try a search on Luang Prabang and see if you find some of the recent reviews. Someone reviewed several in-town places. I loved the Pansea - the French manager there when I was there could not have been more accommodating or helpful. (Since it's a French company, I think all the managers are French, so likely not the same person as hobbes encountered.)
Old Oct 13th, 2005, 06:11 AM

we also stayed at the pansea and consider it the best hotel in LP...we did look at villa santi in town and at the resort (sort of far out of town), the grand is directly next door to the villa santi resort....the resort was nice....the maison s_______ is very close to town and is newly redone....we did not visit it....the 3 nagas is right in town and has one of the best restaurants....

if you can get it and if you want to pay that much you would be very happy with pansea and its restaurant and pool are very nice as well...it is on the edge of town and it takes 5 minutes to center of town...they have complimentary shuttle service or a taxi costs one dollar per person...

i used this ny agency for my discount reservation---1/3 cheaper than the hotel direct:

chip cooper is his name

[email protected]
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the input..We also are going to Siem Reap..any hotel choices you all have would be helpful. (how many nights in Luang Prabang do you reckon?)
We also have flight issues you might be able to help us with....We start out in HCMC...our flight back goes through BKK, so we can visit Siem Reap and Luang Probang from Vietnam or BKK (we have to go back HCMC to BKK as part of our flight) We haven't had much luck getting reasonable flights from the US...I'll check out FirstClassLounge, but maybe they just do hotels.
Any other suggestions greatly appreciated
Joyce and Don
hence jodo
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 08:01 AM

first class will do hotels and flights...he had a good deal on all nippon air last spring...

there are many hotels in SR....i think if i went back i would stay at the sofitel....the victoria has gotten some good press as has the fcc ....there are many others...i stayed at the angkor village, which was very attractive but the rooms were not so nice and the beds rock hard...

bkk air is good to both SR and LP from bkk using their air pass...$80 each way...

i found 4 nites in LP to be perfect
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Did First Class do the flights internally (ie: Bangkok to Siem Reap)or do we have to do that with a BKK travel agent?
Also, we are flying All Nippon overseas business class. (courtesy of ff miles) Never flown that airline before....any input, suggestions etc? Thanks!
joyce
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 10:03 AM

they are an excellent airline by all reports...

you are best to do the bkk-Sr yourself using the bkk air 800 # from usa

866-226-4565