Hong Kong stop over

Search

Hong Kong stop over

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hong Kong stop over

we are stopping over in Hong kong for 3 nights on our way home from Europe. Any suggestions for hotels/ areas to stay. Someone has suggested Kowloon??? Is the airport easy to get transfers from? Are there any must dos in 2 days? Thanks for any tips.
Old Jan 29th, 2010, 06:06 PM

HK is a great city... get yourself a guidebook...

i prefer kowloon to stay in....lots of hotels there....what is your price range? the salisbury YMCA is like a holiday inn and in a great location....not a usual Y...

take the star ferry is fun.....go to the peak on hong kong island on a clear day.... walk and shop...

easy access to the airport
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 08:36 PM

It would be helpful to know the date of your trip, as there may be a festival going on which you may want to see, or an activity which only takes place at certain times of year (like horseracing). Also weather might play a role in my reccos (e.g. you may not want to do a really long hike in July versus November). In addition, while having dim sum is fun, doing so on a Sunday when about 5 million other people here are also having Sunday lunch with the folks requires some advance planning, so that would be helpful to know your dates for that reason as well.

I think “must sees” are quite personal to the visitor, but of course would probably include things like a ride on the Star Ferry, a trip up on the Peak Tram, a walk along the Esplanade in Kowloon and a visit to a temple. Other than that, I would let your interests dictate, and possibly your travel dates. Please search this board for my very long list of reccos called “Cicerone’s Reccos for What the Locals Do for Fun in Hong Kong (Hint: We DON’T Go to those Awful Night Markets....)” at http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...l-night-ma.cfm this should give you some ideas for what to do, including a list of walks and some sources for more walks. For a description of another of my favourite very easy walks on Hong Kong Island, see my posting called “Cicerone’s Favourite Hong Kong Walks II: Paradise Found! From Happy Valley to Stanley in High Heels! (Almost) The Tsz Lo Lan Shan Path” and “Cicerone's Favourite Hong Kong Walks III: The Dragon's Back”. At http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...eels-alm-1.cfm
and http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...agons-back.cfm. Also check the Hong Kong Tourism Board website at discoverhongkong.com for other ideas as well as the Leisure and Cultural Services Department website at http://www.lcsd.gov.hk/en/home.php to see all events and museums offered by the government.

The debate over whether to stay on the Kowloon side versus Hong Kong Island side is as hotly debated on this board as the Positano versus Amalfi/Ravello/Sorrento debate on the Europe board. I live in Hong Kong, and here is my two cents on the subject: when you see a picture of Hong Kong it is invariably taken from the Kowloon side and is that wonderful shot of the harbour, the tall buildings on Hong Kong Island with the backdrop of the mountains behind the buildings. There is no doubt that that view is spectacular, both day and night. <i>However, very few people actually have that view from their hotel room</i>. In addition, you are going to do most of your sightseeing, most of your shopping and probably most of your eating on the Hong Kong side. The Hong Kong side has the Peak and the Peak Tram, Central, Stanley, Aberdeen, Wan Chai (Suzie Wong), Causeway Bay (for serious shoppers) the Hollywood Road antique area, some great local “wet” markets, and the bar and restaurant areas of Lan Kwai Fong, Soho, Hollywood Road and Star Street. It is also the starting point for ferries to outlying islands like Lamma an Lantau. Finally, there are some spectacular and easily-accessible walks, including several from the Peak and in the Stanley area. The Kowloon side has The View, the bird market, the flower market, the Hong Kong History Museum and a few other assorted sights, loads of tourist hotels and loads of tourists. However, other than the View, none of them are any reason to stay on the Kowloon side, as you can easily go over by the very scenic and pleasant Star Ferry.

So, what it comes down to for me would be this: <i>if you don’t have a harbour view room on the Kowloon side, then I would stay on the Hong Kong side</i>. I would go over to Kowloon for a walk along the Esplanade during the day and night, a visit to the Jade Market and/or Flower Market and possibly a meal at one of the view restaurants.

That being said, the Salisbury YMCA, mentioned above, IS one of the few hotels in Kowloon with THE VIEW and is definately worth considering. If your budget is really good, then consider the Penn next door for the same view from much more luxurious digs. For the Salisbury, see http://www.asiatravel.com/hongkong/y...ury/index.html or www.ymca-hotels.com.

Otherwise, if you can provide a budget, making reccos would be easier.
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 08:30 AM

Kowloon is great to stay in, as is West Hong Kong Island. All depends on your budget! I'd say the top must-do is eat lots of dim sum. So amazing! We had a fantastic meal at Tim Ho Wan, which incidentally is the cheapest Michelin-star rated restaurant in the world. Going up Victoria's Peak is lots of fun, and shopping at the many markets. More info and pics in our Hong Kong post at http://patrinadoestheglobe.blogspot.com/
Old Feb 5th, 2010, 05:31 PM

Hi JayneLB, sorry about hijacking your post but would suggest if you haven't already done so---look up Cicerone's posts above.
My main reason for hijack is email contact for Cicerone!! I have tried several times but always returned. I was trying to get your latest Restaurant Recommendations. Any chance of emailing me a copy?? ([email protected]) We are spending 4 days in HK in March then 3 more in April on our way in & out of Mainland China.
Cheers & apologizes to JayneLB
Supercattonk
Old Feb 7th, 2010, 07:57 PM

<b>supercattonk</b> I have sent you an e-mail with the restaurant list. Let me know if there is a problem receiving it. Don't know why you could not send me a message before.
Old Feb 8th, 2010, 04:23 PM

If on a tight budget, you could consider the Imperial Hotel at Tsim Sha Tsui, located very near the Peninsula. No frills or views though and rooms are small though.