Hong Kong Hotels

Old Aug 27th, 2005, 12:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hong Kong Hotels

I am planning a vacation in Hong Kong. I have traveled there on business many times but many years ago so, I thought I would stay at my old favorite, the Sheraton, in a towers room. However how things have changed ! From what I can see where there used to be an open view of the harbor now appears many more buildings.
So now I need help. I have narrowed the search down to the following;-
Sheraton (Towers Harbor View) It still has great memories attached to it for me.
Intercontinental (Exec Club Floor) This looks like the best view of the island.
Shangri-La Island (Harbor View) I just like the hotels but Kowloon side has no pool.

Help would be appreciated

Mike
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 06:00 AM

When did you last stay at the Sheraton? The buildings in front of it - the Intercontinental (ex-Regent) & New World Center - have been there for 20+ years, and the Cultural Center buildings 15+.
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 06:02 AM

BTW, the Kowloon Shangri-La has an indoor pool, according to its website.
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 06:47 AM

In spring 2000, we stayed at the Sheraton in a non tower, harbor view room on the 10th floor (pretty sure, but not 100% sure of the floor level), we had a good view of the island of HK and its skylines.
Old Aug 27th, 2005, 08:25 AM

I've stayed at all 3 hotels you mention. The Shangri-La and IC have the best views, significantly better than the Sheraton because you get to see the harbour from shore to shore (as well, of course, as the HK Island skyline).

Both the Shang and IC are excellent, but I slightly prefer the IC because of the location and club lounge. (However, I have not stayed at the Shang since they refurbished their lounge last year.) The IC's lounge offers wireless laptops, a fantastic breakfast buffet and evening cocktails and appetizers, and is simply a wonderful place to hang out. I actually like the Shang's reataurants a bit more; Napa is one of the more underrated places in HK for a pleasant meal overlooking the harbour. The Ic does also have a slightly better location, although the new developments on Mody Rd and the KCR station make the Shang's location just about as good.

BTW, the IC doesn't have an exec floor per se -- if you have club privs, you get club access, upgraded toiletries (Bvlgari), and maybe a few other extras.
Old Aug 28th, 2005, 12:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help. It must have been 15 or so years ago when I last stayed there as the Cultural Center was just bamboo scaffolding then I seem to recall !!