Hong Kong Hotels

Search

Hong Kong Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2003, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hong Kong Hotels

Can anyone recommend a hotel in Hong Kong. We are visiting for 4 nights at the beginning of next April, and we have a maximum budget of USD 65 per room per night.

Can anyone give me any suggestions? All those I have looked at and then looked up on this board have not received good reviews.

Thanks in advance
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 08:54 AM

$65 a night in Hong Kong would generally be pretty tough, even given the tremendous down turn in tourism since SARS. Hard to tell what prices will be next April, you may end up in outlying areas of Kowloon. However, have you checked with any of the good 4-5 star hotels recently? They may still be offering specials that they would agree to carry to next year. Contact the hotels directly by fax or e-mail, don't go through chain websites or 800 numbers.

Also take a look at asia-hotels.com; a good source for hotels in Asia. You can search Hong Kong and then sort by price. I have never booked with them, so can't comment on their service, but if you aren't comfortable booking with them, get a quote from them, and then can contact the hotel directly and ask them to match or beat the price.

For $65 you may find very small rooms in old hotels in outlying areas. With the good subway and bus service, this may not bother you. Howeve, rI can suggest a few hotels on Hong Kong Island or across the harbour in Kowloon which I know personally or have stayed at. I checked with asia-hotels.com today and got the rates noted below (these are current rates, you may not be able to lock them in for next April):
Bishop Lei International House. The hotel is in midlevels which makes it very convenient. The rooms are small but very nice, and the location is good, in a residential neighborhood near the top of the escalator and on a bus route. Many of the rooms have great views over the city and the harbour. Their website is bishopleihtl.com. Their phone and fax are phone : 852-2868-0828 fax: 852-2525-1551. They are listed as starting at $42 a night from asia-hotels.com today.
YMCA Salisbury Road, 41 Salisbury Road Tsim Sha Tsui. This is a great place, fantastic location, it gets good reviews on this site. It is more like a 4 star hotel. They are quoting from US$51 dollars, very good rate for this hotel, although the room is probably a smallish one. Website for YMCA hotels in Asia is /www.ymca-hotels.com/

YMCA Garden View International House. Very-well located in midlevels at 1 Macdonnell Road. I believe they have a pool which is also a plus. They were quoted as starting at US$ 66 .

New World Renaissance hotel. A good hotel in a very good location. 22 Salisbury Road Tsim Sha Tsui (W), Kowloon, Hong Kong They are listed as from US$63. Phone: 852 2-3694111, Fax: 852 2-3699387.
Old Jul 16th, 2003, 02:05 PM

Grand Tower

It's located near the Ladies' Market and RIGHT smack next to the metro. That's why we like it. It's a basic, no frills place so don't expect fancy but the room is fine. A place to sleep.

Having the metro entrance 20 feet from the side door is SO nice after a full day of running around. Plus, it makes it very convenient to make stops during the day without having to hike around too much.
Old Jul 20th, 2003, 12:47 PM

I agree with cicerone re ths YMCS Salisbury - this is really a great hotel but with the added bonus of having the faacilities of a hostel, launderette etc

you get money off vouchers to eat at its 2 resturants and if you use them up reception will give you some more if necessary. Its only 5 mins walk from the star ferry and the bus terminal and just off Nathan Road and an MTR stop

Also its next to the Pennisula so you can get the same views if you pay extra for them - we paid for a partiual view which was worth it and the rooms are really nice. Just opposite the road is the harbour walk which is great for the evenings

I think we paid 500 per night per room in November but there is room tax to pay on top of this - if I remember correctly its 10 %

I would definitely stay there again - I have stayed at the New World and the Park some years ago but found the Salisbury to be better located and cheaper !

amandac
Old Jul 20th, 2003, 09:50 PM

Try Rosedale on the park, they sometimes offer special rates at around HKD 550. They are conveniently located and a pretty new hotel in the very busy area: Causeway Bay.

Daisy
Old Jul 21st, 2003, 01:57 AM

Hi

In March we stayed at the Kowloon hotel in the heart of Tsim Sha Tsui for 85$ pr night. A long review of the hotel (together with a trip report and pictures) can be found on my homepage www.gardkarlsen.com

Regards
Gard
Stavanger, Norway