Hong Kong for 3 days

Oct 19th, 2005, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

Hong Kong for 3 days

My daughter and I are stopping in Hong Kong on the way back from Perth, Australia and would like some advice on hotels and activities. We would like to pay $100-150 for a hotel. After reading the message boards, I will try out Priceline. Which are would be best? Are shuttles available from the airport to the hotels? What are the best spots to see in 3 days? We would like to see some of the surrounding area and wondered if we should take a tour for one day, if so what would be the best area to visit for a day (the temples, villages, countryside type of tour) or should we just go it alone (quite comfortable doing this!)Thanks for the help. Looking forward to visiting this city!
Oct 19th, 2005, 05:58 AM

When i went to Hk last year my friend and i got the express train from the airport, super efficient. We then got a cab from the station to the hotel, again all very easy. (Although i really cant remember how much we paid i was very very jetlagged)
As a side trip we caught the ferry to Macau, again very easy and when we got to Macau we just got a guide (his name was Jimmy very good) and he tooks us to all the sights of Macau. It really wasnt very expensive at all. (i will check abd see if i can find his card)

Can't help you with Hotels, we stayed at the Ritz-Carlton (very nice)got a deal through a friend
Make sure you do the peak tram, fabulous views and you MUST get the STAR ferry across to Kowloon (about 75p!!)
If we had had one more day i think we would have gone to Lanna (sp?) island again you can take a ferry from the terminal. (check out the times on the net prior so you can plan accordingly)
I seem to remeber findings cabs quite dear in HK but we did use them alot to save time as we only had 2 nights/ 3 days.
In Aberdeen i seem to remember this is where we got on a sampan and they tooks us round the floating villages and by the HUGE Jumbo restuarant

I REALLY enjoyed afternoon tea at the Madarin Oriental very nice and rather civilised....

Hope the above has been some help.
Smeagol
Oct 19th, 2005, 06:27 AM

If you can spend $100-150, you can bid on Priceline for this two area/categories:

- 5* Tsim Sha Tsui. Most people get the Sheraton for $100.

- 5* West Hong Kong Island. Most people get the JW Marriott for $120.

The 4* hotels and the other areas are much less desirable, and I'd recommend bidding those as a last resort.

From airport to hotel, you can take a taxi (~US$40, more for Hong Kong Island); hotel shuttle (~$15-17 per person); Airport Express train that Smeagol mentioned (~$13 per person), connected to a taxi or free shuttle; or a airport bus (~$4-5 per person). Figure out your hotel first, and worry about transport later.

For three days, I wouldn't recommend going to Macau. Here's what I'd do:

- One day Hong Kong Island. The Peak, Repulse Bay, Stanley, and Aberdeen.

- One day New Territories and Kowloon. Go see some older walled villages and Taoist temples in New Territories. Spend the afternoon and evening in the street markets in crowded Kowloon.

- One day Lantau. See the big buddha at Po Lin Monastery and the fishing viallge of Tai O. You can take the MTR for one way, the ferry for the other.

You don't need a tour. Easily doable by yourselves. Good information at the www.discoverhongkong.com. You can pick up brochures at the Tourism Board's office at the Kowloon Star Ferry and other locations.

Ask again for more specific logistic questions.
Oct 19th, 2005, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the info. I will try priceline. Can you get these deals a month before or do you need to wait and try closer to the travel date.
Your help is greatly appreciated. There seems like so much to see and do!
Oct 19th, 2005, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, one more question. How do you get to the New Territories and Kowloon?
Thanks again.
Oct 19th, 2005, 08:09 PM

chris - You can start bidding right now. There's no "right" or "wrong" time to bid. Since you can't bid the same zone and category for 72 hours after a failed bid, you should start early. If you can't get it, then wait 72 hours and try again.

Kowloon is part of the city. Many hotels are in Kowloon. You can go between Kowloon and Hong Kong Island by ferry, MTR (subway), buses, taxi, etc...

New Territories is kind of like the suburbs. You can go there by buses and by commuter trains. It's very close.

[The geography and modes of transport is unlike most cities in the US, so it's hard to give you a good comparison. But don't worry about where you're staying - as long as it's in northern part of Hong Kong Island or southern part of Kowloon.]
Oct 19th, 2005, 09:19 PM

Good advice above. Hong Kong consists mainly of Hong Kong Island and Kowloon. They are about 10 minutes ferry ride apart and both are fun. My preference is Kowloon but there are differing opinions. In the three days you will visit both. On Hong Kong side definitely go up to the Peak by tram. have a look at Stanley Market and perhaps Aberdeen. On Kowloon side general shopping , Kowloon Park and make sure you look at the fabulous view from the waterfont in front or inside of Intercontinental Hotel ( especially at night). One thing which is really worthwhile doing In Kowloon is the Museum Of the History of Hong Kong....much more interesting than it sounds. I would normally recommend a trip to Macau and/ one of the islands such as Cheung Chau but with only three days maybe not. Enjoy that fabulous city!
Oct 20th, 2005, 04:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for the info. I will start bidding today. Cheers Chris
Oct 20th, 2005, 06:31 AM

Before making Priceline bids, spend a few hours reading at www.biddingfortravel.com

Another option is the Salisbury YMCA: despite its name, this is a good hotel with a perfect location. The rates are excellent: www.ymcahk.org.hk/sales/html/hst001e.htm
Oct 20th, 2005, 09:24 AM

There are 4 Priceline zones in Hong Kong. All 4 have 4*, and three of them have 5*s (exception: East HK Island).

If you decide to bid 5* Tsim Sha Tsui for the Sheraton, and don't mind the JW Marriott just in case, you can bid three times. For example, $100 for 5* TST, if rejected, add a few dollars for West HK Island, and if still rejected add E. HK Island.

If you want just the Marriott, then you can start with $120 5* W HK Island, and if rejected, add a few bucks for E HK Isalnd.
Oct 21st, 2005, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again. I just checked my Cathay ticket and realize I have 14 hours in Hong Kong on the way to Australia (as well as the 4 nights on the return) What would you recommend to do for say 6-8 hours on the way--shopping for example? I will be travelling alone at this point. C.
Oct 21st, 2005, 06:10 AM

You can just take the Airport Express train to the Hong Kong station (HK$100; make sure you get the same-day r/t ticket from a manned counter. It costs the same as a one-way ticket). Plenty of highend shops & restaurants in the ifc mall. Since you'll be back later on, you can skip the sightseeing.

Another thing you can do is to go to the Big Buddha on Lantau, if you think your daughter won't be interested to go later on. You can take a couple of buses from the airport. [And if you're going later next year, there's a new cable car.]

If you're flying business or first class on CX, make sure you spend A LOT OF TIME at its lounges at HKG. I've never been to them, but everybody says they are the best airport lounges in the world.
Oct 21st, 2005, 10:22 AM

I concur with the last comment about the CX lounge... There are shower stalls, lots of food (free), and places to sit.

I've only been there once and made the mistake of getting there after a full meal. The food served in the lounge looked very good...This was 2 yrs ago for me so I don't know what's changed since then. I remember a noodle stall where someone cooks your cantonese style noodle to order, buffet of Dim Sum, as well as other choices (can't remember all of them). There's no charge to the food, so definitely arrive early and hungry.

I remember it being crowded when I went (this was 2 yrs ago), but since the lounge is so big, there wasn't a shortage of seats.
Oct 21st, 2005, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

I booked my daughter for the lounge in June on her way over. It was quite cheap and included a shower, food etc. just like you said. She flew economy but you were able to pay for it --quite cheap at around $35.00 per day Canadian. I may take a bus or train and do a little shopping. How are prices in HK---prices in Canada always seem so much cheaper than Europe, Australia etc. these days.
Oct 22nd, 2005, 12:07 AM

For a trip to Lantau, I agree that you're better off organising it yourself independently rather than taking a tour. However, for the New Territories, I'd recommend the Land Between tour organised by the HKTB -
http://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/...y_138726.jhtml

This will give you an overall view of the temples, villages and countryside much more easily than trying to do it alone and is probably the only organised tour I would recommend taking in Hong Kong.

The HKTB's website also has some ideas for itineraries for first-timers which you might find useful -
http://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/...ary/index.html