Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Hong Kong and ? What other cities should I visit?

Apr 28th, 2004, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

I'm in the beginning stages of planning a trip to Hong Kong. I would like to visit one or two other cities during my trip (probably 7-10 days total).

I like large cities, and tend to stay in 3 star hotels. I would like to see museums, monuments, unusual architecture, plazas, and maybe some theater. I like to ride public transit just for the fun of it. A place that has at least a few signs in English would be nice.

I'm leaning towards Singapore, Taipei, Bangkok, maybe even Beijing. I will be travelling alone (I'm a guy if that will help with your thought process), and I don't speak any Asian language fluently. I've been to Japan, and I loved Tokyo, enjoyed the history of Kyoto and Nara, but thought Osaka was a bit harsh.

Any and all reccomendations are welcome!
Thanks!
Apr 28th, 2004, 10:13 AM

first i would comment that the time is not long and i would think that only one other place would fit comfortably for you if you intend to get to know HK at all....i think that 5 days in HK is really a minimum...look at the kowloon hotel and the salisbury YMCA as great locations to stay and affordable... singapore must be a 4 hour plane ride away i think?? bangkok is my favorite city in asia so i suggest it to you...in 4 days you could get an overview of what it is about...sex, drugs and fun for all....just kidding...
Apr 28th, 2004, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I was going to only stay 3 days in Hong Kong, but if you think it's worth 5 days, I may reconsider. Is Bangkok fun for us boring people who don't like to party?
Apr 28th, 2004, 02:44 PM

I would suggest you stay longer in Hong Kong rather than going elsewhere ( but then again I would say that being a Hong Kong junkie)...There is just so much to do. However if you must move on I would suggest Bangkok...no there is plenty to do and see even if you are not interested in raging!
Apr 28th, 2004, 03:09 PM

7-10 days is way too much for Hong Kong. Even if you go to Macau for a couple of days, that's still too much. Definitely go somewhere else.

Of the places you've mentioned, there's most to see in Beijing. Singapore is most like Hong Kong (and other modern Western cities), though it does have its own multi-cultural charm.

Taipei is mainly a concrete forest, but there are mountains and hotsprings, etc outside Taipei. Personally, I think it's probably the least interesting cities on your list.

Bangkok is fun and cheap. It's also very crowded, but great place for a visit.

It really depends on what you feel like...
Apr 28th, 2004, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Wow. Thanks for all the info. I think my first priority is to extend my vacation by a few days. I'll try for 10-12 days instead of 7-10.

Beijing would be exciting, but I'm nervous about going there alone. I can't imagine there's much English spoken (or written). Am I wrong about that?

If I do add Bangkok to the itinerary, how many days should I give it?

I put Singapore on the list because of the modern architecture. I like tall buildings

Any thoughts on Kuala Lampur? How about Manila?

I guess I'm getting ahead of myself... I haven't even gotten the Hong Kong details down yet!

Thanks again!

Apr 28th, 2004, 04:39 PM

Yeah, I read in your original post about interest in architecture. Well, if you like modern highrise, I think Shanghai will be a better choice than Beijing. There are many really modern skyscrapers from significant architects in the Pudong district of that city.

Taipei has "Taipei 101", which is the current tallest building in the world. I don't like its look (from picture and TV), but the counter-balance near the top is really interesting. It is definitely needed on that island with very frequent and very strong earthquakes. But otherwise, I don't think the other buildings are that interesting.

Of course Kuala Lumpur has the Petronas Towers. And it's a very nice and decent to travel too.

I don't think it should be problem travelling to Beijing or Shanghai. Many Chinese in those cities speak good English, and you can read on this board that many people go there on their own with no problem at all.
Apr 28th, 2004, 06:12 PM

I think Bangkok and Shanghai are more interesting and more entertaining, although Beijing is also a "must-see" in the area and yet completely different from the others.

Language is not likely to be a problem in those two Chinese cities.

Definitely make a side trip to Macau when you're in HK. For your information, Air Asia will be flying between Macau and Bangkok for USD25 one way, starting 25 June this year.
Apr 28th, 2004, 06:21 PM

i disagree that 7-10 days is too much for HK..i have been there several times and never seem to run out of things to do....i don't do too many museums either...

bangkok has some lovely old and new buildings....not many really tall onces, but some very interesting ones...

extending your time would be worthwhile as the flights are so long ad expensive...i usually try to go for a month, but i know many people do not have that time luxuary...

i always think of HK as being vertical so you will like that and there are many tall buildings to look at as well as lovely asian style buildings...HK is truely amazing...

you will have very little language problem...don't even think about it...there is always someone in cities who can help you ....in the country that is another thing...

i would split my time between HK and Bkk and you will be very pleased...
Apr 28th, 2004, 11:22 PM

HK is a great city but one of the expensive in the world. a three star hotel will run you what a good 4 in most cities.. (hotel star systems are subjective and not regulated)

where are you flying from..this will greatly help in determaning if 7 or 12 days is appropriet and which routing to take.

Apr 29th, 2004, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for all the info. I've only been planning for two days, and I've already gotten a lot of great advice.

I'll be travelling from Washington DC, and I may stop in Tokyo on the way there (or maybe on the way back) to visit a friend for one day. I know that my original 7-10 is not do-able. It will have to be a 14 day minimum trip.

I can do up to $150/night for a hotel. As long as the location is good, and it's clean and quiet, I'll be happy.

I will do more research on another city to visit. Bangkok seems to be a favorite of a lot of people. I hadn't thought about Shanghai, so I will look into that as well. I've crossed Taipei off the list.

Thanks again everyone.

Apr 29th, 2004, 06:47 AM

Hi

I think it is a bit much trying to cover 3 cities in 10 days...so I would recommend that you do Bangkok in addition to Hong Kong...and spend more days in Bangkok than Hong Kong Bangkok is fun...it is cheap, there is stuff to see, the shopping is great, the food is good etc. I have posted trip reports from my trips to Hong Kong, Beijing, Bangkok, Singapore etc on my homepage gardkarlsen.com Maybe you can find some useful information there. Have a great trip...I hope to get to Japan next year

Regards
Gard
Stavanger, Norway
Apr 29th, 2004, 07:50 AM

My vote is also for Hong Kong and Bangkok.
Apr 29th, 2004, 05:52 PM

Glad someone else agrees about 7-10 days in Hong Kong not being too long. There is more to Hong Kong than shops!!!!!On Kowloon you have bird & flower markets, trips to Ancient City, New Territories, an absolutely fabulous newish museun covering the history of Hong Kong,A wonderful Kowloon park (catch the locals doing Tai Chi), great harbour trips, on the island itself you have the Peak, the escalators and surrounding areas, Aberdeen, Repulse Bay, Stanley and its markets,Causeway Bay not to mention day trips to Cheung Chau, Lamma and Lantau islands plus Macau and lots more.Sorry to rave on but I hate it when people down play my favourite city. Bangkok is great too. Leave it at those two but do a bit of research first re what to do while there. Have a great holiday what ever you decide.
Apr 29th, 2004, 07:26 PM
Lia

I vote for Hong Kong, Shanghai and Beijing (in that order) though it might be a stretch to only spend 3 days or so in each. Four days in each city gives you time to take in the main sightseeing as well as some museums or theatre and possibly a side trip to Macau (from HK) or Suzhou (from Shanghai). Flights between these cities are about 2-3 hours so you need to factor in travel time. That said, there's a nice selection of hotels, lots to do and see, cheap and clean subways/taxis, friendly people, and these big cities are easy to manage on your own. I've also heard good things about Singapore but haven't been there. You don't mention when you plan to go though $150 night for hotel should be more than enough. I've noticed the prices really escalate during holiday seasons, especially around National Day in the first week of October. Probably not a good time to go anyway. Have fun!
Apr 30th, 2004, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

My original plan was to go in early November. Is there a better time of year? I wanted to avoid the hot summer weather. I may postpone my trip until early next year if it will allow me more time (we Americans get so little time off!).

I'm leaning towards 5 full days in Hong Kong, but my second/third cities are still undecided.

Thanks to everyone for sharing your expertise.

Apr 30th, 2004, 05:49 PM

November would be a good time for both Hong Kong and Bangkok. Earlier in the following year would be still ok for Bangkok but getting a little cool for Hong kong.
Apr 30th, 2004, 08:36 PM

Peteralan - I wasn't trying to downplay Hong Kong. I grew up there, and love the place, and if someone hires me to be a guide for a full 2 weeks there, I can still think of places to go - like hiking around the High Island Reservoir to "Long Keh" beach, boat trip to East Peng Chau, hike to the obscure Man Cheung Pok plateau on Lantau or watch sunrise on Lantau Peak, tours of walled cities in Yuen Long, archaeology dig on Tung Lung and Po Toi islands, etc etc... Gosh, I can think of enough places to go for a whole month!

But face it, Hong Kong is not a very large place, and many of those sites I mentioned aren't really world-class "Must Sees". That's why I think time is better spent in another city.
May 1st, 2004, 05:47 PM

OK point taken. I still stick to my opinion but can see yours too. Cheers!