Hong Kong & Shenzhen

Search

Hong Kong & Shenzhen

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2005, 01:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hong Kong & Shenzhen

Going to H.K. planning a day or two in Shenzhen shopping - never been before, any helpful suggestions and places to recommend? Also I gather you can get there by ferry or train can anyone comment on which is best and when you get off, where do you go?
Old May 14th, 2005, 03:47 PM

I strongly recommend Ellen McNally's book, "Shop in Shenzhen - An Insider's Guide." It's inexpensive and up-to-date, easiest way to find it is at www.shopinshenzhen.com.

The train is much more convenient for a day trip, especially now that the train line is extended to Tsim Sha Tsui. When you get off the train, you'll go through customs/immigration, and you will be right at the Lo Wu Shopping Center, where you can spend days shopping.
Old May 14th, 2005, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

thank you I have heard of the book and plan to but it. I have read conflicting responses to Shenzhen on different forums. Some say the trip is not worth it because the quality is poor, with purchases only lasting few months - and shopping in H.K. is just as cheap and better quality. Do you have an opinion?
Old May 14th, 2005, 07:28 PM

What kind of goods are you looking for? Real brand names, fake brand names, no name? Clothings, bags, electronics, or what?

It really depends on what you're getting.

You probably also need a visa, but I don't know about the cost for Australian citizens (if you're one). Check with your local Chinese embassy. If you need to go to Shenzhen twice from Hong Kong, you'll need a two-entry or multiple-entry visa. Depending on what you're going to buy, it may not be worth it.
Old May 15th, 2005, 12:10 AM
Original Poster

good fakes and some real ones if they are around and not too pricey. Basically clothes shoes dvd cd but not electronics. Will probably stay 1 or 2 nights - got any recommendations for hotels?
Old May 15th, 2005, 03:05 AM

I enjoyed going to Shenzhen just for the fun of the shopping at Lo Wu; I bought some glass pieces, a few copy watches, and had some custom slacks and shirts made.

All were significantly lower cost than in HK. The glass and copy watches were the same quality; the custom-made clothes were not as good as in HK (though they show no signs of falling apart 6 months later). Made-to-measure slacks were about US$25 and shirts US$11. The tailor (recommended in the McNally book) was able to deliver the clothes to my hotel in HK in 3 days, so I didn't need a double-entry visa.
Old May 15th, 2005, 03:38 AM
Original Poster

thanks so much
Old May 15th, 2005, 06:35 AM

Most stuff are cheaper in Shenzhen than in Hong Kong, but I would not buy authentic luxury brand name stuff there.

And do not buy pirate DVDs in Shenzhen. The contents of most are copied from VCDs, so you get much lower picture quality, no surround sound, etc... And depending on your own DVD player, these discs may not play. The labelling means <b>absolutely nothing.</b>

On the other hand, there are real licensed DVDs for the Chinese markets, sold in real stores. These will cost many times the fake ones, but are still a bit cheaper than if you buy it in Hong Kong or your own country.
Old May 16th, 2005, 06:47 AM

real licensed DVDs for the Chinese markets,
Old May 16th, 2005, 06:52 AM

Sorry for the incomplete post above.

I meant to put a word of caution for those licensed DVDs for the Chinese markets as they are intended ONLY for the Chinese market, meaning that they are in fact illegal to be brought into Hong Kong. The penalty for each is at an astronomical price which I won't risk taking. And these licensed DVDs are actually easily found in Hong Kong like Causeway Bay. The quality does vary a lot though.

Talking about DVDs, if you're a real fan and am considering to buy one back to your country, you would probably like to go for one made in Hong Kong or China which could practically read ALL DVDs in the world. The price is very low now at about HKD600 which is a very good deal as compared with famous brand name ones.
Old May 16th, 2005, 07:46 AM

I don't see how the Hong Kong customs can fine a US or Australian citizen for bringing in authentic licensed DVDs from another country, through Hong Kong for personal use in his/her own country, with no intention to sell them in Hong Kong? Makes no sense to me.

Anyways, you can pick up all-region, all-code DVD players from many online stores. And from what I understand, DVD players sold in Australia are region-free anyways. But there's still the issue of the format, and the manufacturing quality if you're buying fakes.
Old May 16th, 2005, 07:58 PM

Those DVDs are licensed to be sold and used in China only. It is explicitly stated so at the back cover. It is illegal to bring even one for personal use. Perhaps the fine is imposed by China, not Hong Kong?! This I do not know (haven't tried and haven't got a friend who tried).
Old May 16th, 2005, 09:22 PM

We have some operas and classical concert DVDs here, which were purchased in China. These are licensed products. Some of them don't say anything about restricted sale, while others say it's &quot;licensed to be sold in China only&quot;.

None says it's to be &quot;consumed&quot; or &quot;played&quot; in China only. It makes no sense and is enforcable, anyways. Are you telling me that a China citizen who bought his own licensed DVD cannot bring it on a plane to watch it on his own portable DVD player? Or he cannot play it during his vacation in Hong Kong or the US?

Now, if someone is caught distributing them outside of China, then they are in violation of the rights. Or the shop that sells the disc in Hong Kong is also violating the rights of the Hong Kong distributor of the same movie.

But how can it be illegal for a consumer to buy the product, and use it for personal use?

Same thing with drugs. If I go up to Canada to buy drugs for my own personal use, it's definitely not illegal even if I bring some home to the US. There's a big difference between the end consumer bringing something across the border, and a distributor doing the same in order to sell the product in a different country.