Hong Kong + ???

Search

Hong Kong + ???

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2008, 04:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hong Kong + ???

Hi all - My husband will be taking a business trip to Hong Kong in February - he will be there for four days. He just offered me the opportunity to join him on the trip, suggesting that we spend 2 weeks in the region (4 days in Hong Kong, 2 days traveling to/from the U.S., 8 days somewhere else). Do you have any suggestions about where the "somewhere else" should be? I'd like to keep it close to Hong Kong to minimize the travel time. I've already been to Nepal. He's already been to Singapore and Korea. I'm thinking Vietnam or Thailand.... Any other suggestions??
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

Sorry - I should mention that we enjoy museums, cities, hiking, snorkeling, eating..... we're not picky!! Just wondering if there are any suggestions that more experienced travelers might have.
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 05:32 AM

Bali is my suggestion. Fairly short (and non-stop) flight from Hong Kong, culture coming out the wazoo, fantastic food, good beaches and hiking opportunities. If I had 8 days there, I'd spend 5 in Ubud (inland, center of culture/crafts), 3 days in a nice beach place. If it's in the budget, you can get a reasonable deal splitting time at the 2 Four Seasons properties: 4 Seasons Sayan near Ubud, and the 4 seasons at the beach.
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 06:32 AM

Bali is an excellent suggestion. People who haven't been there think of it as a beach destination, but the beaches are just ok. What is amazing the the accessability of Bali's unique culture. I agree with rizz, if you go divide your time between a beach location and an inland (near Ubud) location to get a broad experience of the island. The only thing you don't get on Bali that you've listed is cities.

Thailand is certianly a good destination, and within Thailand you have lots of options. Bangkok is my favorite city in the world. There is so much to see and do - visitng wats (Buddlist temples), old house museums, eating fabulous food, and staying in wonderful hotels for the price of a Holiday Inn in the US. With your interests, I expect you'd enjoy a visit to the private Prasart Museum near Bangkok.

You are welcome to take a look at our SE Asia photos at www.marlandc.com If you are interested in bangkok, there are series of photos from a number of Bangkok trips (we visit almost every year).
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 07:12 PM

Really your options are almost unlimited as Hong Kong is a major air hub and it is easy to get to many places. See weatherbase.com for rain and temps for various places you are considering, that may help with decisions. Also look into an “open jaw” ticket which will allow you to fly back to the US from wherever you go after Hong Kong, this should save time backtracking to Hong Kong, or maybe rule on places with no non-stops to the US, thus making the choices easier.

You do mention cities and museums, so Bangkok would certainly offer that in spades, and you may also be able to work out a short trip to Angkor Wat, which is a museum in itself, or Luang Prabang. You could do a triangle like Hong Kong, Angkor/Luang Prabang and then Bangkok. Vietnam may have less in terms of actual museums, but has some interesting cities like Hue (again sort of a museum in itself) and Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh. You could also fit in some beach time in both Thailand and Vietnam (although with 8 days all total, perhaps at the sacrifice of Angkor or Luang Prabang).

Bali has no real cities and few museums, but is a marvelous and magical place in terms of art and culture and physical beauty, and then would offer snorkeling too. February is not the greatest time weather-wise, especially for snorkeling, as it is the rainy season and can be overcast all day, so colours of coral and fish will be affected. That is one thing to bear in mind. But other activities are not really affected and they don’t get huge downpours like monsoon in other countries. Although 8 days would be wonderful on Bali alone, you might also with good flights be able to combine this with a stop-over someplace like Yogyajarkata on the island of Java just to the west and see Borbadour and Prambanan.

Although it is cold in February, all of the PRC would be open to you too, and far less crowds in February than other months. Assuming you are dressed for it, Beijing and other places would be quite interesting (and loads of museums and sights of historical interest).

You could go to Japan, which could include skiing in northern Japan. I know little about the skiing, but have do have friends who have been and raved, and others may be able to post with precise information.

Have to throw a spanner into the works and just mention that the Maldives are only 9 hours away by air from Hong Kong. No hiking, museums or cities (OK, one city and it has a museum, please don’t bother with either), but my, my, my the beaches. Nothing like them anywhere. And snorkeling like you cannot believe. And good food. And marvelous people. (Although friendly natives abound in these regions, the Maldivians take the prize IMO.) Just something to think about….closer in would be the Philippines, easy 2-hour flight from Hong Kong. Also some marvelous beaches and snorkeling and in great weather in February, virtually no rain. Not sure Manila is worth much time, perhaps a day as a layover to get to beaches, otherwise see someplace like El Nido resort in Palawan see http://www.elnidoresorts.com/. You can hike in interior parts of Mindanao, I know little about it, but you could research that aspect. The Philippines are not on the main tourist track so may be enjoyable from that aspect.

Finally, I would mention that although 8 days is a brief time, the weather in India is fantastic in February and you can fly from Hong Kong to Delhi non-stop in 7 hours on Cathay during the day, a very nice easy flight (night flight possible too, but fairly awful arrival time; you can get to Bangalore non stop in about the same time for a south Indian trip; other cities are possible too with connections). You could see Delhi and Agra and with good use of flights or trains, one other place in the area, or possibly a beach location like Goa. 8 days would be somewhat rushed and you would have to pick your places carefully, but would be doable. And from India there are non-stops back to the US from Delhi and Mumbai on Continental.

I live in Hong Kong and February weather tends towards overcast and cool, with the occasional damp fog. Little rain, but not a lot of sun. The good news is that this weather makes the hiking much more pleasant than in the summer when it is over 90F with humidity to match. So please bring your hiking boots and use them here as you will have many opportunities! For suggestions on walks and hikes on Hong Kong Island, see my postings called “Cicerone’s Favourite Hong Kong Walks: Severn Road, the Peak”., “Cicerone’s Favourite Hong Kong Walks II: Paradise Found! From Happy Valley to Stanley in High Heels! (Almost) The Tsz Lo Lan Shan Path” and Cicerone's Favourite Hong Kong Walks III: The Dragon's Back ". Finally, check the Hong Kong Tourism Board website at discoverhongkong.com.
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Wow - great ideas - I'd never have thought of these on my own. Thanks so much!
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 03:37 PM

We stayed there before. It was great.
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 04:05 PM

Thailand is only a few hours away by air.

Thailand hotels will be cheaper than Hong Kong, Tokyo and Singapore.

Thai food is delicious. You can check out old temples and other historical points of interest.

You can visit some of the excellent beaches too!

Transportation within Thailand is cheap and efficient. Thailand is very tourist friendly!

http://www.asiatraveltips.com/ThingstodoinBangkok.shtml

http://www.worldtravelguide.net/coun.../Thailand.html

Good luck.
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 06:06 PM

bali is a fantastic idea, but quite a ways really....thailand would be much closer...many more options in thailand and lovely and warm...great hotels at bargain prices in bangkok: peninsula, hyatt, marriott resort and spa, hilton, conrad, 4 seasons...many of us love to stay on the river so check out those hotels..

food: bangkok is a food paradise with cuisines from all over well represented at bargain prices in comparison to the west...

beach resorts, city life, great buildings, shopping etc...
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 01:24 PM

The flight from HK to Bali will be about 5 hrs. But with the exchange rate from US$ to Indonesian Rupiah, your trip will be very inexpensive compared to HK.

Another option is the 1:45 flight to Taipei. The National Museum is huge, and since you mentioned eating, the Taipei night markets are cheap and entertaining. A short day trip to the Taiwan coast city of Hualien is an added attraction with Taroko National Park and its marble mountains.