HOLIDAY INN SILOM

Search

HOLIDAY INN SILOM

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2005, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HOLIDAY INN SILOM

well we are here and will see what it brings....so far not impressed at all....made my priceline res in january and asked and received an upgrade on feb 5....when we arrived they had no record of the upgrade nor that i wanted a king bed and non smoking, nor could they seem to find one for almost one half hour....

finally a higher, but rude, supervisor appeared on the scene to help....we got a nice room on the 22nd floor but almost 40 minutes had elapsed..

the room is quite nice, large and well furnished....much nicer than the rooms i saw on my mini tour last june.....so i think i have paid $45 + from priceline and then another $24 upon arrival for the upgrade....the registration person asked me for $40 for the upgrade but deep in my suitcase i had the feb 5 letter stating $24....so $24 it is...

BACK TO THE MARRIOTT RESORT AND SPA WHEN WE RETURN FROM PHUKET LATER IN THE WEEK...

kathie: we enjoyed the open bar and hors d'oeuvres in the lounge and skipped dinner tonight....would not want to do it every day as i would miss the great bkk restaurants too much...

carol/simpson 510----had a beer at the sky bar tonight (state building at base of silom road) until a thunder storm drove us out.....great view....682B for 2 singha beers however....OUTRAGEOUS....i left 1/2 of mine too because it was warm....great view and glad we did it...
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 08:18 AM

Bob, I admire your willingness to try out different hotels... I have to admit I'm not so willing to spend even part of my vacation in a hotel I don't like.

It sounds like you are having a great trip. I'm enjoying your reports.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 08:24 AM

Too bad about the hassle at check in. I had no problem like that last December. Hope you enjoy your "nice, large, and well furnished" room w/Exec Club for $69. If the computer on the club floor is busy then you can go to the one on the first floor for free. Or, the restaurant next door on Silom Road has pretty good internet service for a fee.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 09:19 AM

Bob:
Do you think they hassled you because it was a Priceline reservation? Or did they honestly not have it? Enjoying your reports on scene...sounds like you guys are having a ball...wishing we were in bkk right now.
Aloha!
Peter
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 09:22 AM

Sorry posted previous question too soon. Meant to add that it's the reason I hesitate to use Priceline. I would hate to get somewhere and have any hassles when checking in.
Aloha!
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 09:43 AM

Good for you in trying new hotels and neighborhoods! You all know that I'm the queen of hotel hopping although I always fit in a good 3-5 days, at least, for the favorite one and then hop the other days...depending on how many days I have. Variety is the spice of life! Keep on having a great trip. Happy Travels!
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 12:25 PM

Hmmm, US$8.50 a pop for warm beer. Are you sure you are in Bangkok? I don't think they even charge that much at Fenway. Keep up the great reports.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 12:53 PM

craig; that sounds like the same amount i paid for a glass of chilean wine at sirocco. btw, a friend said it cost $8 for beer at raider nation home games.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

HI---i asked if priceline was the problem and they quickly replied no...i think that is accurate...the problem is lack of organization and the fact the hotel is having lobby refurbubishment...they have a very young staff in the lobby...
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

the large room lacks any asian influence except for one sort of asian picture on the wall...stripe grey wallpaper....good bed and very nice bath with seperate shower enclosure..

a/c only so so...

would stay here again...pool looks nicer than what i had remembered

more from bkk later in the week when we return from phuket...

more detailed info in a trip report after june 20

bob & karen
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 07:46 PM

Dear Bob,
You might want to try the restaurant next door that someone said had computers. I believe it is called Maria's and we eat there all the time when we are in BKK. Great prices and variety, plus you can email while waiting for your food.