Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

San Francisco - Holiday Inn Express vs Cow Hollow Motor Inn??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2003, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, We currently have reservations at the Cow Hollow Motor Inn (no car) because we could get a good rate for 2 rooms. However, we really wanted to stay at Fisherman's Wharf. This morning I found a good rate at the Holiday Inn Express. Has anyone stayed here recently and would like to share their experience? The continental breakfast would help out the budget too. Thanks so much for any advice....... Vacationmom
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 10:36 AM

How much are you paying? Have you ever tried Priceline. I got a 4**** Hilton for $65.00 and with tax & fees, comes to $75 a night for 4 nights over the Memorial Day weekend.

You could probably get a nice 3*** in the Fisherman's Wharf area for half of what you are going to pay for the Holiday Inn Express. Then, you would have plenty of money for a real nice breakfast, and maybe even afford a nice lunch & dinner with the savings.

Before you bid, check out biddingfortravel.com, read their FAQ's about bidding for hotels (that's very important), look at what others have gotten their hotels for, and have a nice trip to SF
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 10:39 AM

Through Priceline I've gotten the Sheraton FW for $55/night and the Marriot FW for $62/night - both are 3*.
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 11:36 AM

Agree with other posters. We stayed there last April, but we had free rooms with Priority Club. It was crowded,many Asian tourists, the continental breakfast was pretty sparse. However, we liked the location, our room was nice and clean and I had no complaints.
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies..... No, I have never tried Priceline. Due to sleeping arrangments we must have 2 beds in each room, and due to allergies we must have a non-smoking room... I believe Priceline can't guarantee those things so I have never looked into that..... Kinda scared to. We only get to vacation once a year and would hate for the sleeping arrangement, or getting sick from a smoking room, put a crimp in vacation.......... If it were just my husband and I travling I would do it in a second... However, with needing two rooms I probably should look into it. Also, we are traveling in July - peak period....... I felt really good with $109 rate I was getting at Holiday Inn Express........ I'll have to think about this...... Thanks again.
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 07:21 PM

We stayed in one of the kitchen units at the Cow Hollow. We liked it a lot and enjoyed the surrounding area. We felt more like locals than tourists staying there. But I'd have to say we didn't feel all that close to most of the attractions we wanted to visit, and made heavy use of our car. (Also, we were travelling with kids too young to be good walkers....) Since we didn't need it, we didn't use public transportation, so I don't know how good it is from the Cow Hollow. Since you say you have no car, this could be a key issue for you.
Old Apr 11th, 2003, 08:38 PM

Hi vacationmom,

Check the Columbus Motor Inn. Its within walking distance to Fisherman's Wharf, has FREE PARKING attached, and was clean and quiet. I read about it HERE and think its a great option. The bus stop is also right outside the door! Just another idea to consider.

Have a great trip!
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 11:55 AM

Vacationmom, I've never traveled to SF but are planning our first trip in June and even though we will have a car, location is very important to us. I vote for staying close to all the attractions. I've read in another posts that you could possibly have extended wait time for public transportation during the summer months if that is when you're planning to visit. Go ahead and reserve the Holiday Inn at the special rate and continue to research it. We're staying at the Royal Pacific Motor Inn $96 and is right in the smack between North Beach and Chinatown. Doesn't offer breakfast but plenty of places within walking distance. Face it, you have to pay $$$ in order to get a nice continental breakfast.
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 01:00 PM

I've stayed at the Cow Hollow Suites,part of Cow Hollow Motor Inn, and although I've always had a car there, the car generally stayed parked while we took the bus to Fisherman's wharf, North Beach, Chinatown, Union Square,etc. It couldn't be easier, and frankly I think the Cow Hollow area is a whole lot nicer and has much better restaurants (including economical ones). The busses run frequently (every 10 to 20 minutes from Chestnut, right behind Cow Hollow Motor Inn and will take you to nearly any of the major sites you will be looking for).
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 01:55 PM

Patrick, I am taking your advice and am reserving the Cow Hollow Suites for 2 nights in August. Now (being as I respect your fine taste), where would you stop for 2 nights on the way to Santa Barbara. I am really having a tough time with this one. You know my likes. Ever been...?

Hope all is great in my favorite town, and with you and yours,
Paul
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 03:39 PM

Hello, Paul. Hmmm. I'm not sure where you've been along there? Have you done the drive before? My usual stop between LA and SF is Carmel -- so "Naples" but even more quaint and refined. In August we'll be staying again at The Normandy Inn.(www.normandyinncarmel.com) We opt for a fireplace room. It's walking distance to all the great restaurants.

Have you done Hearst Castle? If not, you could spend a night and most of a day at Carmel, then drive to Cambria arriving in the late afternoon, spend the night there, do an early morning tour, then drive on down to Santa Barbara.

I'm not a big fan of Morro Bay, the other place some recommend.
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 08:33 PM

I think the columbus has some larger, 2 bedroom family units.

The Radisson is the only hotel that is right ON Fisherman's Wharf.

The Best Western Tuscan Inn is very nice. Check out boulevards.com for good information on San Francisco.
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 02:53 AM

Looks like the perfect stop, Patrick. Thanks - and no, I have not toured this area before. Thanks so much!

Paul