Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Holiday Inn Financial District Sf Any info @ this hotel [email protected] night

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 02:29 AM
jan

This looks like a very nice central place can anyone tell me if it really is? Good/Great/bad
Thanks
Jan

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 08:49 AM
Betsy

Jan, check out Priceline. Go to www.biddingfortravel.com and scroll down to the hotel section. You'll find info in SF hotels there. Check out the prices that others are getting, like $50-$55 for the Park Hyatt or the Grand Hyatt, both close to the financial district and both probably better bets than the Holiday Inn. The helpful moderators at Bidding For Travel will help you construct your bid.

Good luck

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 09:06 AM
kam

The Financial District is mostly office building and business oriented hotels. It a safe area, but pretty deserted at night and doesn't have a lot of restaurants for dinner. It's a bit out of the way for what most tourists want. On the other hand, SF is a pretty small city and you can walk to many attractions.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 10:22 AM
kal

Jan,
Stayed there quite a few times. Nice for a typical HI.

We liked the location as it's short walk to C'town, No'Beach and F'Wharf.
As kam mentions SF can be a great walking city.

As Betsy sez, we got the PHyatt for $75 in April thru Hotwire.

The PHyatt room was a ton mo' bettah than HI. A bit "further out" (5 blocks?) to most of the good stuff.

Mahalo,
Kal

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 05:47 PM
jan

Well I took the plunge. Tried priceline, ended up with the PHyatt for $60. I think that is a great/excellent deal. Kind of scary as your not sure where you'll end up. Don't mind the walking that way I'll see it all. Was hoping for Union Square area after more research, but I think we'll be happy @ PHyatt. Do you know if when using priceline when you get to the hotel can you ask for room with a view or non-smoking or do you just take what you can get?
Thanks for your help everyone.
I wish I had tried priceline before too late now have @ three weeks booked in other locations. Oh Well next time.
Cheers
Jan

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 06:13 PM
mare

You take what you can get, but when they offer such low rates they usually have plenty of decent rooms open.

PHyatt probably charges as much for parking as you're paying for the room.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 07:31 PM
Betsy

Good news, Jan!

Now you should phone the PHyatt and confirm your reservation. Just give the PL confirmation number. You can then request your room type, view, etc. The hotel is beautiful and it's about a 15 min. walk to Union Square.

It may not be too late to bid for your other vacation locations. Do your PL research and check the cancellation policies of the hotels where you're already booked. If you're within your cancellation windows, go ahead and bid on PL and then cancel the reservations you've already made.

Just be sure to use the info on Bidding for Travel to guide your bids. By the way, I have no relationship with the site.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 08:08 PM
jan

Betsy,
Thanks for your help!
Working on some of the others now. I did so good at the PHyatt I think I am now being too cheap. Trying Santa Barbara now, but messed that up will try again 3 days. The biddingfor travel site is a godsend and all the Fodorites of course.
Thanks Again
Jan

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 08:14 PM
deb

jan,
I just stayed at the PH thru Priceline and it was terrific. Good for you for trying it! I called and confirmed my res and my reqquest and they were real nice about it. I also applied for a Hyatt Gold card and was told that helps get you a good room too. FYI, parking is $36 per night at the hotel, but we wee able to find parking on the street the whole weekend without too much trouble. Also, be sure to reserve the hotel car to take you to dinner. Just ask the concierge about it.

Have fun! deb

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 08:22 PM
joesorce

Easy now Jan! Don't forget that Priceline rooms are completely non-changeable and non-refundable. A flat tire outside of Vegas or an overheated car in Monterey is all it takes, and you will have paid for a room that you never even see!

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 08:22 PM
jan

Deb,
Another positive story that is what I like to hear. I figured the parking would be pretty pricey. I'll be there on a Sun/Mon Monday might be trickier with being a weekday unsure?? Is the street parking metered/ free after 6pm How does it work? I plan on parking it for the whole time I am there with the street parking do you have to move it around. Sorry so many ?'s One more How much is the Hyatt gold card??
Thanks A bunch
Jan

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 09:37 PM
deb

jan,
We had to move the car around. Meters are free on Saturday night and Sunday. You have to look for street cleaning- certain sides of the street on certain days, etc. Make sure you park on Sunday night on a street that doesn't clean the streets on Monday. On Monday you will have to feed the meters though. There is a parking lot at the Embarcadero right near by, but not sure how much it is. Hopefully a little less than the PH.

As for the Hyatt card, just get one at their website. It's free. The site explains how it works and it's benefits. Unfortunately with Priceline, you cannot accrue free nights on the card, but supposedly it gives you some preference for the room. We asked for a room with view, but got a room facing the construction site! They said the hotel was packed that night and that was the best they could do. I can't complain cause we got it for $46 a night and it was a gorgeous room. BTW, I wrote a trip report on here so you might try to find it. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Deb