HK v. Kowloon Hotel Choice

Old Oct 26th, 2003, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HK v. Kowloon Hotel Choice

I've been reading many of the posts re: which side is "better" for the first time visitor to HK. We are leaning towards YMCA Salisbury based on all the raves. Though I still have some unanswered questions.

I know that many of the tourist destinations and departures for trips to outlying islands are from the HK side. Do the MTR and Star Ferry operate late into the night? If so, is it safe?

Also, if we do decide to stay on the Kowloon side, is there better/more options for nightlife on that side? We are not big partiers, but would probably like to experience the nightlife in Hong Kong, but would not want to have to travel too far at night.

Thanks for your help.
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 02:31 PM

The MTR and ferry go on till late. It is so easy to get anywhere within the city within minutes that I don't really think the hotel location is a big problem. They are both very safe.
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 08:21 PM

i always stay on the kowloon side...transportation is easy throughout hk...we often go to hk side for dinner and touring and have easily done islands by taking star ferry to other side --it lands near the other docks---5-15 minute walk...

have stayed at y and it is fine---like a mid-class holiday inn.....couldn't get a better location....last time we stayed across the street at the kowloon hotel (owned by peninsula group)--very small room but adequate...great dim-sum restaurant on lower level....

HK seems to ber very safe....

lots of restaurants and shopping on kowloon side...open late, open early, always open in some cases...

i find some of the HK side is deserted when the business people leave and it is a bit eery.....but this does not hole true to all sections....

great restaurant at Wanchai: Amaroni's Little Italy, cousin of the burger pub, Dan Ryan's....
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to you both for your helpful info and suggestions for restaurants.

Followup on the Y - is partial harbour view adequate or should we go for full harbour view?? We always regret spending too much on hotels because we are always touring and never spend time in the room except for sleeping. On the other hand, everyone seems to be talking about this VIEW. We are from nyc so we do appreciate skylines....
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 07:42 PM

in that location i would not pay a penny extra for a view...you are not right on the water so it would be limited i believe....others may know better....the rooms are nothing special so you will not spend extra time in them like you might across the street at the peninsula....

make sure you go up to felix (restaurant) in the penn...both of you go to the bathrooms which are right near the elevators....remind your male partner to do the standing thing....