HK Hotels with View

Old Jul 8th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HK Hotels with View

Have done quite a bit of research on the upper end hotels with harbor views. The front runners seems to be IC, Penn, W and Sheraton in Kowloon, then 4 Seasons, MO in Central any others I am missing? I read recently in Trip Advisor that views from MO are now marred by a large construction site. Is this the case with any of the others? I know Hong Kong is a dynamically growing city but don't want to book and be disappointed. Thanks.
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 09:15 AM

For a slightly less expensive option but with great views, check out the Excelsior in Causeway Bay. I recall walking into my room last year for the first time, and staring out the window at the amazing harbor view.
www.mandarinoriental.com/excelsior/
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 10:41 AM

I have stayed at the Peninsula in a full harbour view room which (IMHO) is the quintessential HK view so would suggest there or the IC (as its cheaper and nearer to the harbour)
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 12:22 PM

We were at the Sheraton Kowloon just 2 days ago and had a very good view of Central from our room. I suggest you get the towers rooms which have a very very good view.
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 01:59 PM

Inter-Continental Tsim Sha Tsui has spectacular harbor view.
The hotel was the former Regent hotel, once rated as the best of the world.
The bathtubs are hugh size.
One year I stayed in one of its harbor rooms and watched the October 1st fireworks on Victoria Harbor.
They sent me email Feb. this year, standard room for HK$1,200 w/ breakfast inclusive, great deal.
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 06:01 PM

If you don't want to spend $500 a night get a harbor view room at the YMCA Salisbury - same view as the Peninsula (right next door) and a fraction of the price. Decent rooms - then again, for the money the Peninsula should be a lot nicer than it is.
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 07:19 PM

Asia's colonial past has left many of its cities with a wealth of historic buildings & architectural gems.

Pennisula Hotel in Hongkong represents the old world charm & elegance.

It was the Japanese occupied force headquarter in ww2.

The Repulse Bay hotel, another old elegance in Hongkong, was demolished in early 1980s.
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 09:09 PM

I am not sure about the Japanese HQ in WWII part. At least after the Japanese took the whole HK, the HQ was the old Hong Kong & Shanghai Bank building in Central.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 01:48 AM

Also Metropark, Causeway bay.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 02:02 AM

Most recently stayed all in one visit, the Island Shang, IC Grand Stanford and the W.

The Island Shang didn't have a great view. Always better looking at Hong Kong Island from Kowloon than the other way round.

The IC Grand Stanford and W provided the harbour views but both had views of the "wrong" side of the harbour. In front of the IC Grand Stanford was a dismal jetty port and worse for the W, I had rusty tankers. And to think both of them were upgraded rooms.

The views at the IC Hong Kong (not Grand Stanford) remains spectacular (together with their rates) followed by the higher floor rooms at the Pen (so as not to be blocked by the hideous building in front of it.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 02:40 AM

Cat12345: Inter-Continental Tsim Sha Tsui has spectacular harbor view...They sent me email Feb. this year, standard room for HK$1,200 w/ breakfast inclusive, great deal.

Caution!! Many rooms at the IC, probably including the 'standard' one mentioned here, do not have harbor views. And there is really no good reason to stay at the IC unless you have a harbor view.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 08:07 AM

December 25, 1941, Sir Mark Aitchison Young, Governor of Hongkong, surrendered in person at the Japanese headquarters on the 3/floor of the Peninsula Hong Kong Hotel.

High tea at the Pennisula lobby lounge is alway popular.

Its Top floor dining room Felix serves dinner from 6:00pm to 10:30pm.

If I recollect properly, Felix offers big discount for diners who come at early hours.
They must finish the dinner and leave before 8 pm.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 11:53 AM

Cat12345 - They then moved across the harbour and use the HSBC building:

Photo of the plaque that hangs outside (from Museum of History):
http://rkkwan.zenfolio.com/p163727794/e1ce7a25b

And information about it:
http://rkkwan.zenfolio.com/p163727794/e1f6912f0
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 01:09 PM

rkkwan,
Live and learn, thanks.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 04:53 PM

In February, I stayed at Langham Place in Mong Kok. The room, a suite on the 36th floor, had great views of the city and harbor. Their "Club L" is a great place to absorb the view while eating, drinking, and/or chatting with other guests.

I loved the Mong Kok location. I did a LOT of comparison shopping, and Langham Place had the same service and amenities as comparable hotels on Hong Kong Island for a third of the price.
Old Jul 9th, 2009, 07:46 PM

The Mandarin Oriental does not have any construction going on in front of it (there is some reclamation work going on at the water level, but this does not affect overall views esp if you are on the higher floors). However, while it’s a wonderful hotel, it has never had fantastic views. It’s full on “harbour views” along Connaught Road are perfectly fine, but are not spectacular for several reasons (i) they are of the “wrong” side of the harbour and (2) they are on the low side as the building is a not that tall and (3) they are a little bit marred by some of the nearby buildings like Jardine House. I would pick the MO for the excellent location, great service and staff and lovely rooms, but would say the view is secondary. (I think I would also choose a Chater Garden side room for a bit of green with a water view and a quieter side of the building.)

For the great picture-postcard views you really need to be at the Peninsula, and then the IC or the Salisbury YMCA. With the right room at the Sheraton, you would also have a good view. (Need a highish floor for that one, as again it is not a very tall building.) However, then you are in Kowloon….

I also like the views from the Four Seasons, esp the higher floors. Again, this is the “wrong” side of the harbour, but they have a higher elevation and a more open view than the MO, so they are better. The view from their pool deck is also quite good. The view from their mountain view rooms of the Peak is actually very good too IMO. The rooms at the Four Seasons are very large, which is a nice plus. The location is great for walking to Central or to Hollywood Road/Soho and you can get to the tram line easily as well. Overall IMO if view in a luxury hotel is really important, and you don’t want the Peninsula I would probably pick the Four Seasons, although the IC would probably work too (I just don’t like it as much since it stopped being a Regent).

The views from the JW Marriott are actually quite good if you get a harbour view room on a high floor and the Conrad has some decent views as well. (The Island Shangri La as noted above is mostly mountain view rooms.) I would agree that the Excelsior harbour view rooms would offer some good views as well; I am not such a fan of the Causeway Bay location however. Not sure when your trip is, but the new Swire 5-star hotel called the Upper House is going to open in October in Pacific Place and should offer some good views. Not sure if you want to be a guinea pig for a brand new hotel, but take a look at http://www.upperhouse.com/

The W is quite problematic IMO. The building in which the hotel is located is obstructed by the ICC tower in front of it. The views which the rooms have are of eastern and western harbour areas and can be interesting, but you won’t get the full harbour view (you cannot see the Peak for example). This hotel also has a very odd location in that it is almost impossible to walk anywhere from the hotel, you have to take the subway, Airport Express or taxi or bus to get anywhere. It’s surrounded by highways and busy streets. Very odd. (The Ritz-Carlton, which is under construction in the ICC building in front to the W, will have the view which is the bomb in Hong Kong when it opens sometime in 2011. The hotel lobby is on like the 90th floor, so will look down onto Hong Kong. Stay tuned for that one.)
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

cicerone, thanks. We will go in November. Probably split with FS and Penn. I tried to email for your comprehensive dining list but the address was blocked. Could you please send to scfphoto@charterdotnet. No rush. Thanks.
Old Jul 12th, 2009, 06:35 PM

scfphoto, I have sent you the restaurant list, let me know if you don't receive it. November is such a great time weather-wise in Hong Kong! While there is usually more smog in winter than summer, the nice temps and sunny days make up for it, IMO. Views at night are also still good as you don't notice the air pollution.