HK: Cheap electronics

Sep 23rd, 2005, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

HK: Cheap electronics

I've only heard that electronics can be found at a bargain in Hong Kong. My wife will be there on business and we're really in need of a new digital camera.

Well, she knows nothing about cameras, and I have no idea what she'll see and at what price.

Are there deals across the board on such things? If I suggest that she looks for a(insert well known digtal camera brand here), do we have a chance to score a good deal? Realize that we're in the market right now for a new camera. So even if we end up with something that we save a little $$ on then we'll come out ahead.

For the tech/geek types out there - aside from the AC charger difference, do cameras overseas use a totally different removable media that's not available?

Thanks for any tips!
Sep 23rd, 2005, 07:21 AM

Cameras are not cheap in Hong Kong, and you will not get warranty work here in the US. Don't buy a camera there.

On the other hand, accessories like batteries, filters, etc, can be cheap. Memory cards not too cheap as there are cheap online merchants here in the US too - like ecost.com.

Buy your camera online here in the US. Save you money and trouble.
Sep 23rd, 2005, 05:10 PM

I second the previous posters advice. There was a time (80's?) where electronics were a bargain in HK.
Now, with the Chinese copying everything imaginable, you don't know what you're getting. I have heard that the outside of a camera may be the brand name, but all internal workings are of an inferior quality. Buy your electronics stateside.
Sep 23rd, 2005, 05:17 PM

Last September I bought a camera at Circuit City and when I arrived in Hong Kong a week later, the same camera was $100 US more expensive. Buy electronics in the US and save money and headaches. I am going to Hong Kong tomorrow and only plan to buy "junk electronic toys" for the grandchildren.
Sep 25th, 2005, 11:23 PM

I agree. We didn't find cameras to be cheap at all, even on the infamous street (forgot the name now) that has all the electronic stores. The only thing is you CAN bargain with them, so you MIGHT be able to get a camera a bit cheaper there.
Sep 28th, 2005, 06:58 PM

BigJim- I think you mean Nathan Road...
Sep 28th, 2005, 07:30 PM

Sai Yeung Choi Street South.

[Sai Yeung Choi = Watercrest]
Sep 29th, 2005, 07:25 AM

Nathan Rd. does have some electronic/camera stores, but yes, Sai Yeung Choi St. was the one I was thinking of.
Sep 29th, 2005, 06:21 PM
tcd

Sai Yeung Choi Street & Nathan Road are located in Mongkok. There're lots of electronic shops along the street. Take the MTR & stop at Mongkok station.