Shopping in Hong Kong

Sep 21st, 2002, 07:50 AM
mary

Shopping in Hong Kong

Does Hong Kong offer good buys on digital cameras...or are the prices in the States better?
what would you recommend buying in HOng Kong that would be a great buy vs. here? Thanks!

Sep 21st, 2002, 10:41 AM
Marilyn

If you are going to buy anything electronic in HK you need to do some serious homework. I have heard too many tales of people being ripped off in ways you can't imagine. Either get a recommendation for a reputable dealer or pick up a book on HK shopping that addresses this problem. (I know there are several.) Remember, if it seems to good to be true, it probably is.

Clothing can be a great buy in HK, not necessarily the designer shops which I have always found to have prices much like the US. But there used to be a lot of hole-in-the-wall shops in Tsim Sha Tsui that had overruns from factories, etc. Always found fabulous treasure there! Also gorgeous silks everywhere --shirts, robes, etc. at excellent prices.

For kids/teens there are a bunch of inexpensive chain stores (you'll see them on every block)much like Old Navy or Gap. They carry good quality merchandise at excellent prices (though not necessarily better than you can do in the US during a good sale).

Eyeglasses and sunglasses can be 1/2 to 2/3 the US cost but be sure to go to a reputable place that will make the lenses correctly.

Sep 22nd, 2002, 08:53 PM
hk girl

Broadway and Fortress are the big chain-store dealers in Hong Kong.

Sep 23rd, 2002, 03:44 AM
Larry

There are good bargains on digital cameras, but beware that when you get the camera back home, the warranty may not be valid in the US. This may require sending the camera to a repair shop in Hong Kong. I found this out the hard way!!

Sep 23rd, 2002, 08:16 AM
mary

Thanks for the good information. will look for a book on shopping there as well.

Sep 23rd, 2002, 09:55 AM
asialover

As I'm travelling to HK in the next few months I have a question about shopping too: are there Friendship Stores in HK? During my visit to the mainland I liked the Friendship Stores because I'm uncomfortable with haggling, and there's no haggling there. Also these stores are well organized and have wonderful crafts in a single location. I like to buy Chinese cloisonne, silk and art while over there. If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them. Thanks!

Oct 2nd, 2002, 04:38 PM
dko3tgk

I have done camera shopping in HK on three separate trips this past year. 35 MM but my advice applies to digital as well.
1. DOn't shop in Central. It's touristy with tourist prices. Shop in Kowloon. To make it easier, go to Mongkok. There is a street named Sai Yeung Choi street which is known as the electronics shopping district. There are four or five blocks of just electronic stores. Pretty overwhelming at first. This is where locals do alot of their electronic shopping.
2. Know your prices. Back in the 80's and early 90's HK had prices on electronics that were sometimes half of US prices. Now, you might only save $20-50 USD. FOr a fairly good gauge of what average street price is in the US, go to B and H photo's website. Not the cheapest, but an accurate representation of US street price.
3. Know your models. HK sells electronics by putting hundreds of silver shelled electronics in a window with a price sticker hanging beneath them. You need to know what you are looking at. Also, since it is Asia, some models may not be available in the US. Some might be alot smaller and more advanced, but that's preference.
4. You might not get a US valid warranty. This may effect price. Some places have worldwide warranties, some have CHina only or Japan only. This will effect price. Prices are always a little lower on the asian warranty models. But if you don't care about warranties, just go for the cheapest price.
5. Negotiate. Many places will say fixed price. That in some cases are true, but if you sound knowledgeable about your products and your prices, you might be able to get another $10-40 off. Maybe not, it's not Thailand so don't get into a fight over it.
You may be able to get a little off if you buy soemhting else at the same time, like a bigger memory card. Then if you push, they might shave off a few bucks.

In the end, you may find that it is only $40 cheaper than the US. And to have a US warranty and to be able to return to a US store might be better than the few dollars you might save. However, to get a good deal is a possible thing too. I bought my father a $650 camera in HK for $450. Still bragging about that one.
Hope this helps.

Oct 3rd, 2002, 02:04 AM
V

you can do some research on the internet first. you may find some good deals on the net with rebate and warranty. My brother just bought a konica digital camera on the net which is cheaper than the same one i saw in hk.