Hiroshima Peace Park

Jan 19th, 2005, 05:19 AM
emd
Original Poster

Hiroshima Peace Park

Questions for those who have been there: Are the exhibits in the museum and around the Peace Park marked in English as well as Japanese? Is there an English casette audio tour or brochure available?
Thanks in advance.
Jan 19th, 2005, 05:43 AM

The exhibits in the museum are well marked in English. I don't remember if there were headphones, although we usually use them if available at museums, so I am thinking maybe not. As for the park I think we picked up a brochure with a map and explanation of the various memorials as there are quite a few. It is an excellent museum and park (as is a similar one in Nagasaki) with the focus on peace and not war, which is how it should be. Most museums these days have excellent web sites with lots of detail for visitors, so you might see if you can find one for this museum.
Jan 19th, 2005, 05:59 AM
emd
Original Poster

The excellent site is detailed and is at http://www.pcf.city.hiroshima.jp/
but it didn't tell me if the exhibits and museum are marked in English. Thank you for the info.
Jan 19th, 2005, 10:17 AM

The audio tour is available in English.
Jan 19th, 2005, 10:26 AM
emd
Original Poster

great. I like the audio tours for things like this. Then we will budget more time for the whole thing. That is why I asked, trying to budget time.

When you got to the area, where did you go to get/pay for the audio equipment, ngoedia?
Jan 20th, 2005, 11:39 AM

It's available at the same counter where you buy your museum tickets. We were there for about 2.5 hours total, but you can easily spend more time.
Jan 20th, 2005, 02:51 PM
emd
Original Poster

Thank you again for your response. I am surprised that the guide books do not include this type of info on translations and audio tours for major sites and museums.
Jan 21st, 2005, 08:10 AM

emd:
You are welcome. I find www.japan-guide.com quite helpful.