Hiroshima/ Miyajima Lodging

Jun 3rd, 2004, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

Hiroshima/ Miyajima Lodging

Hello! Can anyone recommend a place to stay for one night in Hiroshima in August? Or, is it worth spending the night in Miyajima instead of Hiroshima? If so, any recommendation on where to stay there?

We will be taking the train to Hiroshima from Kyoto in the morning, and sightseeing that day. We plan to stay overnight and head to Osaka the next day to catch a 6PM international flight.
Thanks!
Jun 3rd, 2004, 11:34 PM

Monday night, I stayed at the Hotel Granvia in Hiroshima. It is on the shinkansen side of Hiroshima station and so was quite convenient as it actually connects to the station. Got a rate of under 10,000 for the night after I showed my JR Pass. There is a computer for use (500 yen/hr right next to the front desk.

Tuesday night I stayed at the Rihga Royal hotel. It is just a few stops down the streetcar line from the station and then a block or so north. Only a block from the Hiroshima Carp baseball stadium (the got shelled by the Bay Stars that night and the following night. About two blocks from the Genbaku dome. The dome left standing after the a-bomb. Very good hotel, very nice room at rack [email protected]

On Wednesday, I stayed on Miyajima at Momiji-so ryokan. It is part way up the mountain, nestled in the woods. They picked me up at the ferry station and it was a bit of an adventure riding up there. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

You would have no trouble catching that flight if you stayed overnight on Miyajima. JR ferry goes every 15 minutes. Local train from Miyajimaguchi is frequent and only 30 min or so to Hiroshima. Quite easy to make it from that train to the shinkansen. I suggest getting your shinkansen seats the night before.
Jun 4th, 2004, 06:26 AM

We stayed at the Iwaso ryokan on Miyajima and loved it.
Jun 4th, 2004, 07:46 AM

Last month, we stayed at the Ryoso Kawaguchi and really enjoyed it. Lovely ryokan with two public baths than can be used privately. Not luxurious, but very comfortable, charming, and clean. The food was also excellent.

We had five people in two rooms--both with ensuite toilet (no bath). Two-person room was about 10 tatami mat in size with huge windows. 3-person room was actually two rooms--small 6 tatami mat room for sitting and 8 tatatmi mat room for sleeping. You can visit their website: http://www.gambo-ad.com/english/hote...guchi/info.htm
Jun 4th, 2004, 07:47 AM

Sorry, I should also say that the Kawaguchi is on Miyajima.

We also stayed at the Serra Bekkan in Hiroshima for one night, but we would not recommend it.
Jun 4th, 2004, 05:59 PM

Not surprisingly, how you feel about accommodations is influenced by what you expect.

We stayed at Serra Bekkan in Hiroshima in April and very much enjoyed it. The rooms were slightly worn, but the staff was extremely helpful and the dinner was fantastic. The baths (shared by other guests) were above average for the ryokans we stayed in. But we don't expect luxury when we don't pay luxury prices, and the Serra Bekkan was good, not fine.

On Miyajima (yes! stay the night!) we stayed in the Kinsuikan, and it was indeed a higher standard. (But we paid about $300 a night for the two of us, including breakfast and dinner). Beautiful room, fabulous view onto the water (including the torii), and accommodating service. The baths were outstanding. Highly recommended. And the sunset walk to view the setting sun across the torii was priceless.

Given the choice, if you want to pay the extra $$, I would visit Hiroshima in the morning and then take the boat to Miyajima in the late afternoon. Have dinner, go for an evening walk, and spend the morning on Mihyajima. Then cross back to the mainland and take the train to Osaka. No problem! Have a blast.
Jun 10th, 2004, 04:17 AM

We stayed at the Guest House Kikugawa in 2002 and really enjoyed the place. It is close the ferry station and the dinner prepared by the owner is very good. We are looking forward to visiting again next year.

Tsutomu
Jan 22nd, 2005, 02:11 AM
emd

I have been researching the accomodations listed in this email for my own night on Miyajima. I found this site that is very useful. It lists accomodations on Miyajima and has alot of other Miyajima info.
www.miyajima/or/jp/miyakan2/
Jan 24th, 2005, 04:38 PM

I stayed at the Toyoko Inn when I was in Hiroshima August 2004. It was 8190 yen for a double room, inc tax, basic breakfast, private bathroom, free internet, and free shuttle to/from JR station. It's only a few tram stops from the hotel to the peace park. I highly recommend this place if you are after basic, budget accommodation.