High Season Trip!

Sep 30th, 2005, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

High Season Trip!

I want to go to Thailand (BKK,chiang mai,koh samui) for 15-20 days. OK I looked at prices myself and going in Dec. 10 compared to Feb.10 makes no difference as far as cost saving on flights(international & local) and accomodations. So I'm thinking Dec. is better for going since I can add x-mass holidays to stay more.
1)What do you experts think? is this a good time to go for having fun (ie. learn scuba diving, meet new friends (local & tourists), party a bit, etc.)????

Please help; I have to book ASAP.
Thanks so much.
Emerald
Sep 30th, 2005, 06:51 PM

Yes, the holidays are a great time to go -can you get reservations for air and hotel? Remember that Koh Samui will be rainier than Phuket at that time.
Sep 30th, 2005, 06:59 PM

my immediate comment is that hotel will be at their most expensive and least available of the entire year from dec 20- jan 5....hotels also require some mandatory extras like dinners on holidays....so you might want to wait until feb...or could you go in mid jan??
\
so the prices will all be the same except for that 10-15 days of holiday time....availability will not be great either...

i think there might be a samui weather issue but others know better about that
Sep 30th, 2005, 07:03 PM

If you can go for longer go in Dec but book your hotels now! Yes it will be more expensive but I always go when I can maximize vacation time. Those extra days can make a big difference.
Sep 30th, 2005, 07:22 PM

I would opt for Phuket for the beach portion of the trip. You might be able to find something there as tourism is down. There is a lot of reconstruction and renovation on the island, since the Tsunami, but it should not disturb your vacation.
Sep 30th, 2005, 10:04 PM

The weather issue is not so much that Samui gets rain at that time more so that Phuket doesn't ( does that make sense? )
Just a reminder of the stats for monthly rainfall:

Dec/Jan/Feb/Mar

Phuket: 2.0 / 1.4 / 1.2 / 1.5

Samui: 3.9 / 1.5 / 0.3 / 0.5

So except for December when Samui has heavier rain, Jan is about the same and from then onwards Samui is drier.

Dec rates are always a lot more and the rates drop often quite dramaticaly from mid January onwards.

Where you go depends on what you wasnt to see and do and what experiences you want to gain from the trip.

I am late....now 1 o'clock and driving off now for a 'free' dinner and night at a new resort down the Gulf coast ( Wora Bura Resort and Spa opening )..they are not interested in my views but brother-in-law did some of the furniture.
Oct 1st, 2005, 08:51 AM

It's a great time to go. I went to Bangkok and CM over the holidays last year. I booked a Bangkok hotel via priceline and got a good rate at the HI Silom. Got a good rate in Sheraton. I boooked the rooms at the beginning of October.

Marriott R&S was running $120 to $140, IIRC, which I think is pretty reasonable (I did get that hotel for one night in Jan. via priceline for $50).

When I was shopping for hotels I did notice what Bob mentioned: hotels requiring that you sign up for a pricey New Year's Eve dinner. But I think that those places were at beach resorts. There was no such requirement at the HI Silom in Bangkok.

I think it is a no-brainer: you can save some money ($40 or $50 a night?) by going off-peak but you will have to SPEND paid vacation days to do it. Or you can go there during peak season, spend a little more $ but save the vacation days by using the holiday days off.

If you are going to go anywhere during peak season, then Bangkok and CM are the place to go because the cost of being there is pretty reasonable to begin with (and the weather is very good).
Oct 1st, 2005, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so far. Your comment about using vacation days make sense. But I don't understand when you say prices are higher in Dec. I checked few online sites, the hotel prices are the same AND even higher in Feb./March!!
Oct 1st, 2005, 09:22 AM

Emerald -- it all depends on the hotels. Many of the top hotels have much higher rates for the few days around New Years but in my experience the rest of the time the rates in bangkok and chiang Mai are relatively the same from November thru February.
Frankly, I go when the weather is best, it's the most convenient work wise, and whenever I can I try to maximize vacation time. if I end up spending a little bit more, so be it.
Oct 1st, 2005, 09:28 AM

At the top places you may pay more for the few days around New Years, and some places have both mandatory Christmas and New Years dinners/parties that are rather pricey. But in the overall scheme of things, it typically isn't that much more.
Oct 1st, 2005, 09:30 AM

oops - I hit post too soon.

All of the time you are considering is high season. It's not like you are comparing to June...
Oct 1st, 2005, 10:09 AM

I just did a check of the Marriott Resort and Spa at marriott.com. For Dec. 27th, during the peak of high season, the offered rates are $240 to $375 for one night (the other two Marriott properties were $130+). For Dec 20th, high season but off-peak, the rates are $155 to $295. That is what I mean. YMMV.
Oct 5th, 2005, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your replies. You know what, the ticket prices are ridiculously high (around $1500-1600) for early Dec. So I thought since I have to be in San Diego for a wedding in Feb. I combine my long-awaited Thailand trip with it and leave from LA. Seems like better strategy to me. And hopefully weather would be nice in Feb. Appreciate your help. But I have to come back with itinerary help soon!!!
Oct 5th, 2005, 07:03 PM

feb will be fine
Oct 5th, 2005, 11:04 PM

Good idea, Feb will be cheaper and easier all round.