Help with Varanasi to Agra

Old Dec 27th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Varanasi to Agra

Can anyone advise on the best way to make the trip please - train, fly or drive?
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 04:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Probably train. Mon, Wed & Sat leaving Varanasi at 17:20, arriving Agra Fort 06:05. Best class available is 2AC. I think there have been postings saying you can't fly in or out of Agra any more, and it would be a long trip by road.
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 02:46 AM

Sounds good to me - the train that is.
Not sure what you get with 2AC. I have travelled all over India on the train in second class (no a/c) and it was fine. But it sort of depends what you are comparing it to for a night's sleep!

If this is your only opportunity to travel in India by train then go for it!! Because if you go to India and never travel on a train - like it's all private drivers who ferry you around from one lux place to another; and are there in the morning to ferry you out to a particular slte or shop .. you may think you have "been" to India' but I would respectfully suggest that if that's all you do then you have had a nice sanitised "don't touch the sides" trip that you can brag about over dinner party tables back home.

You haven't really seen India at all. So take that train trip. You will remember it long after you have forgotten the name of the plush place you stayed at in xxxx,

Priceless. Don't miss.
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

I am definately up for the experience! Can I book tickets via the web or do I have to get them there?

Slightly concerned about safety on an overnight trip as I have read that the route into/out of Varanasi (and in fact in Varanasi itself)is a bit risky, although there are 3 of us travelling.

Planning 2 nights in Varanasi - will this be sufficient?
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 12:29 PM

Two nights = one day. I would say that's not enough time for Varanasi, especially if you want to visit Sanchi while you're there. Varanasi is a place for soaking up atmosphere, not just visiting sights. Sanchi is where the Buddha preached his first sermon - there are still deer in the Deer Park, and a good museum.

For info on Indian trains, see http://seat61.com/India.htm and for tickets ahead of time see http://www.dandpani.dircon.co.uk/. Take a cable and lock with you (one per case or pack) so you can lock your luggage to the straps that hang under the seats, and keep your valuables on you (money belt) or with you. The dangerous bit is in Bihar province, which is between Varansi and Kolkata, not Varanasi and Agra. When I did it we had armed guards on the train for that section. What have you heard about dangers in Varanasi? There will be people trying to scam you, or persuade you to go shopping, but no physical danger that I know about.
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advise thursdaysd. Will check out the ticket sites as suggested.

Do you have any suggestions on where to stay in Varanasi?

Re safety - taking back-packs (although we are all new to independant travelling) and will buy a cable/lock.

Someone pulled a knife out on a friend of ours (in Varanasi) - demanding money. As it happened he wasn't carrying any and he was left alone (thankfully). VHS.
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 03:01 PM

VHS - for Varanasi hotels see this thread: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...7&tid=34901145

Sorry to hear about your friend! That is scary... I (older female) was traveling alone in India, and didn't encounter anything like that.
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again - have just been looking at the india rail site - fascinating!

My friend (male, 30'ish) is well travelled but found Varanasi and somewhere in Vietnam (not sure where) a little 'dark'. It has not put me off and I guess we just need to be sensible and respectful of the countries/places we visit.

Where else have you visited in India? VHS
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 04:23 PM

VHS - I spent 10 weeks in India, mostly traveling by train - you can read my trip reports at www.wilhelmswords.com/asia2001. So many places I loved! Besides Varanasi, I particularly remember Darjeeling, Orissa, Ajanta & Ellora caves, Kerala, Shekhawati region, Jaisalmer - even Kolkata, since I was there for the Durga Puja festival. Where else are you planning to go?
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 01:40 AM
Original Poster

Going for 3 weeks (26 Jan) and have revised itinerary several times following comments/advise from fodorites (great site!)

Our crieria was to see a bit of India and have a decent rest and soak up the sun so latest plan is;

1) Arrive Delhi (2 nights).
2) Fly Delhi to Varanasi (2 nights)
3) Train from Varanasi to Agra (2 nights).
4) Drive from Agra to Jaipur (2 nights).
5) Fly Jaipur to Goa (10 nights)
6) Final leg - Goa to Mumbai (2 nights)by train, boat or fly.

May go further south from Goa - depends how we feel and did consider Udaipur but not sure if this is too much to cram in?

Now realise I have left things late for booking hotels, internal travel etc and starting to panick a little. Fingers crossed things will work out OK - relying heavily on recommended routes/hotels etc so please feel free to comment more.

Many thanks - VHS.
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 02:48 AM

Hi - just wanted to say I wouldn't worry too much if you don't have accommo pre-arranged in all the places you want to stay. It would take a rare combination of place/event to mean you were scraping the barrel. The downside, of course, is that it takes longer if you just pitch up and have to find somewhere, than if you know exactly where you are going!!

All the same - with the exception of New Delhi (which I guess you have sorted) just be sure to take a good guide book and pick somewhere out that you can head for.

Have a great time. You are wise not to try and do too much.
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 02:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks fuzzylogic. Have not booked anything so far with the exception of flights to/from India (Delhi/Mumbai) and have just booked a flight from Delhi to Varanasi.

Looking at info provided by thursdaysd for hotel in Delhi and already e-mailed Taj View Hotel for Varanasi.

As before - all help gratefully received. VHS
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 07:03 AM

VHS - I agree with fuzzylogic about not needing to book ahead for hotels. Although if you want to stay in the Oberoi type hotels I suppose it might be different! I did have a reservation for Panaji in Goa, because I was there for Francis Xavier day, but I didn't need it. Unfortunately I can't help with Delhi as I stayed with a family there.

Looking at your itinerary I'd be inclined to take a day from Goa for Varanasi - 10 nights is a lot of beach, even though you can also visit Old Goa, temples and spice plantations, and a waterfall well inland. South India has quite a different feel to the north, so it would be worth trying to manage a couple of days there. Maybe Mysore, which I loved, or Ooty, which I didn't get to.

Old Dec 29th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again guys/gals.....

Still trying to get something secured for Delhi as we don't want to be bed hunting after such a long journey. Feel more relaxed now re other areas and happy to 'wing it' if I do not get anything arranged beforehand.

Thursdaysd - will try and squeeze in one of the places you mention in the South. I'm sure I will get itchy feet after a few days on the beach! What would be the travelling time from Goa?

VHS.
Old Dec 29th, 2006, 05:12 PM

VHS - on your schedule you would probably need to do all or part of the trip south by plane. I took trains from Goa to Mysore, and it took all of a very long day, plus I think it was only possible once or twice a week. If you fly, you could also look at going to Kerala - Fort Cochi and a night on a houseboat are highly recommended. Another possibility is Aurangabad as a base for the Ajanta and Ellora caves.
Old Dec 30th, 2006, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

thursdaysd - have added your suggestions to my 'nice to see' list - thanks. As India is such a huge country I guess we will have to make many return trips to cover all the 'must see' and 'nice to see' areas. VHS.