Search

HELP!!! (with the essentials!)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14th, 2012, 02:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP!!! (with the essentials!)

Hey!!

I've just found out I have been offered a research placement in Singapore for two months. I leave in about 2weeks and have never been overseas before, never been away from home for two months and know next to nothing about Singapore.

I've been reading about all the fabulous things to do in Singapore, which I am sure to cover in two months, but I am concerned about the essentials, especially as I have so little time to plan!

Things like what sim card is best for international calls from Singapore back to Australia, what travel cards are best to use over there (ie 28degree mastercard vs prepaid cards) and if anyone knows any info about what the student hostels are like over there!!

Any suggestions or help would be very very greatly appreciated!!!

THANKS!! =-D
Old Dec 14th, 2012, 02:57 AM
Original Poster

Ohhh and what Public Transport is like?!? I hear taxi's are cheap but are the buses etc fast?? Thanks again guys!!
Old Dec 14th, 2012, 05:51 AM

Singapore is the cleanest, safest most modern city in the world. It is also an expensive place to visit/live. Contact your research placement for help finding housing.

Public transportation is very efficient and is quite affordable. The MRT (subway system) is an excellent way to get around, as it avoids traffic. I expect you will be eligible or a student discount on your card.

Buy a sim card once you get to Singapore. Someone there can advise you.

As far as credit cards, use a Visa or Mastercard. Prepaid cards have lots of fees. You want to use credit rather than debit cards so you are protected in case of loos/fraud. You will want an ATM card to withdraw money from your bank account in Australia.

Singapore is a foodie's paradise. Lots of wonderful food, very reasonably priced at hawker centers.

Enjoy your time in SIngapore!
Old Dec 14th, 2012, 10:44 AM

You might check with the National Univ of Singapore for housing suggestions. When my daughter attended (about 4 yrs ago, housing on campus was in short supply. Many of her friends lived in hostels and thought they were quite nice for the price. i'll see if she has any specific recommendations.
Old Dec 14th, 2012, 05:26 PM

Greetings Aliooo, from another lovely Saturday morning in our fine home of Singapore, and welcome to Fodors.

Congratulations on your forthcoming adventure in our sweet city-state of SIN; should be a broadening and joyous time. To date, it's been a privilege calling Singapore home for work, family and friends.

Suspect you will find Singapore relatively easy to navigate for all issues. In addition to various SIN (expat) forums available on the internet, www.yoursingapore.com/ is another useful resource.

Should your flights not be completely sorted, pleased to assist, particularly with my primary business travel carrier, Singapore Airlines. Had two SQ flights for work over the past five days and they were as fine as ever.

For what it's worth, a charming cousin from Scotland did a Jan - March internship in Singapore not too many years back. At the time, some family members privately joked it was her little way of escaping another Scottish winter. Well, now she's happily living and working in SIN.

Have fun with your planning and savour your times. Warm weekend wishes to you and all from Singapore,

macintosh (robert)

... Singapore Girl, You're a Great Way to Fly ...
Old Dec 15th, 2012, 02:42 PM

Lots of useful info can be found in this previous post http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...-trip-help.cfm
Coming from Australia you are required by law to follow sports and drink beer. Both are easily done in Singapore, often together, thanks to the flourishing microbrew pubs. Well, "pub" hardly measures the scope of Brewerkz where sports from everywhere can be viewed while sipping a nice variety of (stiffly-priced) draughts. http://www.brewerkz.com/
It has engendered lots of competition; the page for a recent beer festival contains links down the right-hand side. http://www.singaporecraftbeerweek.com/
Singapore is so multi-cultural that any televised sporting event will draw expats from both sides cheering for the old country. Ditto for dining: So many cultures have blended, and competed, over the stove that fine dining may qualify as the national sport, both for enjoyment and for prestige.