help with hotels in Singapore!!

Oct 17th, 2001, 04:16 AM
Annie

help with hotels in Singapore!!

...any opinions on these hotels??? we want to be close to orchard road but our priority is a nice hotel with nice rooms (good views mainly) and a nice swimming pool

... any suggestions??

- marina mandarin
- merchant court
- fullerton
- grand copthorne waterfront
- meritus negara

thank you in advance
-annie

Oct 17th, 2001, 05:18 AM
Susan

I stayed at the Merchant court earlier this year and can recommend it. It's next to Clarke quay, in fact you can see it from your window. Nice for shopping in the evening. The river views at night were stunning. We only had breakfast at th hotel, either a buffet or to order with a huge range. Very nice public areas and well trained and efficient staff. We walked to Chinatown from there and had some great food there.

HTH

Susan

Oct 17th, 2001, 07:32 PM
Michael From New York

I stayed at the marina mandarin. Excellent hotel with a fabulous atrium lobby. Ask for a high floor and harbor view. Very nice large pool. I liked the hotels, the staff, the restaurants and the food.

It is NOT near Orchard Road, but it is near the Suntec City Mall as well as the Marina Square Shopping Malls. It is about a ten minute walk to the MRT train but the train is in another huge shopping area Raffles City. And this is of course across the street from The fabulous Raffles hotel. From the Marina Mandarin you can also walk to the Clifford Pier for the harbor Cruise boats, or a little further the Clark Quay and Boat Quay for restaurants and bars.

The Metro Rapid Transit is an excellent system so you can go up to Orchard Road by train or by taxi. The cabs are very inexpensive.

The main difference between the orchard Road Area and the Marina Square Area comes down to this:

At Orchard Road you will have lots and lots and lots of shopping. At Marina Square you will have lots and lots and lots of shopping and yet be near the water.

If you like to see a few photos of the Marina Mandarin email me, and I will send you some photos by return email.

Michael

Oct 23rd, 2001, 08:06 PM
wayne

Hi annie,
I live in Singapore.I would like to rank the hotels in terms of rooms, quality of service, access to the MRT, and proximity to interesting places:

fullerton,meritus negara,marina mandarin,grand copthorne,merchant court.

Fullerton and grand copthorne are brand new. Fullerton is housed in a grand colonial bldg with huge doric columns and it has excellent, excellent rooms! You'd love the 3 ft high confy bed. Is is beside the singapore river and near boat quay which has good night life.It is also beside the Raffles pLace MRT which is 4 stops to Orchard MRT.

Marina Mandarin is old, Grand Copthorne is near nothing and on a dead part of the river, and are not recommended.

Merchant court is beside the river as well opposite Clarke Quay which is an eating and entertainment area. Transport is abit incovenient tho.

Meritus Negara is off Orchard Rd and is like living near TImes Square. It is 3 years old and is an excellent b'ness hotel too.

My bet would be the Fullerton if you can afford, followed by Negara.

Forget the rest.

Oct 24th, 2001, 12:11 AM
Annie

thank you all for your responses - we have decided to book the merchant court; wayne, as you live in singapore maybe you could let me know what are your recommended places to visit during our 2.5 days in your city ... we are planning on doing the night safari, bukit tinah natural reserve, harbour cruise, chinatown, little india and of course orchard road (any advice re. shopping??)

thank you for your help
-annie

Wayne

Oct 24th, 2001, 01:30 AM
wayne

hi annie,
night safari is perhaps the best zoo in the world.you don't see any cages even for carnivores, there are no separations between animals (go figure how they don't escape) and the lights are designed to represent moonlight.

bukit timah nature reserve is not worth visiting. it's like going up a mole hill in nyc. go to the fabulous botanic gardens instead. if you can afford US$100 per person, dine at the les amis au jardin in the middle of the gardens. it is the best r'rant(french) in singapore and the most romantic. ask for table 1 or 2 at the balcony. i'm sure it is better than most michelin r'rants in paris.

chinatown is plastic.you see better chinatowns elsewhere.instead go around the shophouses at tanjong pagar road,and duxton road near tanjong pagar mrt stn. walk around club street at night.they have a vibrant r'rant scene.all of them are good.

little india is fascinating for its sights and smell. eat at the many indian r'rants at race course road. i recommend new delhi r'rant or banana apollo. if you go there during weekends, you'd think you were in madras for the droves of foreign workers gathering there on their day
off.

harbour cruise is not needed. just go to clarke quay opp your hotel and take a $2 bum boat ride to boat quay. go to the UOB plaza 1 next to the boat stop and ask to go to the r'rant "top of the plaza". dont go all the way up. where you change lifts (think it's 48 storey) you can get a birds eye view of the city for free (wink!).

For real local food go to Geylang at night. See the hustle and bustle of hawkers by the road side. That area is the red light district but as with all of singapore, extremely safe. look at the tacky neon lights on the many love hotels in that area. try the local thorny fruit, durian and the hairy fruit, rambutan.

what kind of shopping are you looking for? go to orchard rd to find anything. ngee ann city is the largest.

oh ya, don't forget to eat satay (kebab) at clarke quay just opp your hotel. there is also an art gallery nearby, at hill st in the bldg with the colorful windows.

of course go to raffles hotel (city hall mrt) and chijmes just beside it to see excellent restoratian of old bldgs.

for the best nightlife, dancing and clubbing go to muhammad sultan road or go to zouk at jiak kim street. it rivals the best clubs in ibiza.

hope that helps. feel free to ask more.

Oct 26th, 2001, 08:39 AM
dayna

Annie,

We stayed at the Westin Plaza and it was fabulous! Make sure you stay at the Plaza not Stamford. Its located near Raffles and the MRT, 2 stops(I think) on the MRT from Orchard Road. I definately felt our location was the best!!! Orchard Road area is nice but crowded, great shopping there. The Hilton on Orchard has good buys on Gucci and other designers. The pool area at the Westin is wonderful! It's on the eighth floor and has 2 pools. There is also a mall under the Westin that has everything including a food court for "quick eats". Have a great time!

Oct 27th, 2001, 03:22 AM
John

The Merhcant Court is very nice although a typical city hotel it is managed by Raffles Int so is very good service etc.

I would recommend staying at the Raffles Hotel at least one night if you can afford it. If not do try the afternoon high tea and remember to book !!

John
SuiteAsia.com travel community

Oct 27th, 2001, 04:01 PM
Bill

We stayed at the Hyatt on Orchard road. The hotel had a great swimming pool and gym. The locaton was excellent with the underground only one half block away and p lenty of restaurants and shopping in the immediate ares.