Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Help with Fast-Approaching India Trip, Please

Old Sep 12th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I'm back from 3 weeks in France followed by 1 week in the Bahamas, and before I've even finished my trip reports - or emptied my suitcase - it's time to get cracking on my India plans.

I will land in Mumbai a month from today - October 12 (after a 2-day stopover in Zurich). I need to be in Chennai by mid-day on October 14 to meet my daughter, who's disembarking from Semester At Sea there. We have to get her back on the ship the morning of October 18, so will want to spend the night of October 13 in Chennai. For the three days we have together, we'd like to take a tour that would include the Taj Mahal and a few other well-chosen places.

I depart from Mumbai just after midnight on October 22, so I will have from mid-day on October 18 until late night October 21 to have another mini-adventure. I will most likely be on my own.

Okay, I know going into and out of Mumbai is not ideal for a number of reasons, but I am stuck with that b/c I'm using FF miles for this trip, so that's a given. Some other observations: I'm an experienced traveler, not at all afraid to be alone in a new place, but this is my first trip to India, first trip to Asia for that matter. I don't mind "winging it," but I probably won't feel comfortable without a fairly solid structure to this trip. I am of course reading everything I can get my hands on. Still, I have about a thousand questions:

Should I stay in Mumbai or move on as soon as I get there? I have no particular desire to be in Mumbai. Remember, I'll be coming from Zürich, so a long trip, but nothing like coming directly from the States.

If I move on, should it be directly to Chennai, or should I try to see something in between?

Should I travel by air or by train?

Are there any special precautions I should take if I end up traveling alone - other than the ones I am quite used to taking traveling in other parts of the world?

Is there a tour company anyone would recommend for the short time my daughter and I have to spend together that would get us to the Taj Mahal and a few other interesting places? I'm normally a DIY traveler, but we'll be out of our element and needing to be efficient in the small timeframe we've got.

What should I do for the 3 days between dropping my daughter off in Chennai and leaving from Mumbai?

I realize this is a huge amount to ask, but I'm out of my element here, and this may be the only chance I get to visit India. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Sorry...that should have read "will want to spend the night of October 17 in Chennai."
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 05:47 PM

i am more familiar with the north around delhi....if you want to go to taj then you need to fly with that little time...or take the train....it almost seems like toooo far with tooo little pay back...the taj is fantastic but with only a couple of days i think i would skip it...perhaps you should be content with mumbai?? its not like europe, you can't just zip around and see a million things in one day..
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 08:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does it have to be the Taj? You are at the other end of the country in Chennai. There are places to visit around Chennai, or you could go to Kochi by overnight train and maybe spend a night on a houseboat. If it has to be the Taj you'll have to fly.

On the way back to Mumbai you could consider Aurangabad for the Ellora and Ajanta caves, or Mysore, or Kochi if you didn't do that with your daughter, or even Goa, but you have very little time. You say you haven't traveled in Asia before - you do know to use only bottled water (for brushing teeth too), and to avoid ice and salads?

Travel in India is not at all like travel in Europe - it can be slow, and aggravating, and overwhelming, although India is a marvelous place.
Old Sep 13th, 2008, 01:41 AM

After two gentle reality checks, I hope you don't mind another.

It's a big ask to see the Taj and "a few other interesting places" in three days if you are starting out from, and must return to, Chennai.

Could be possible - up to you to research flight timings - if you got on a plane to Agra on the 14th; spent 14-15 in Agra. 16th take bus to Jaipur and stop at Fatephur Sikri. Night of 16th in Jaipur and fly back to Chennai.

I'd find this quite mad - think about what happens if a flight is cancelled - but am offering it up as a possibility.

I like Thursday's suggestion. Kochi is a fascinating place and imho without a taking a train trip in India you haven't really "been there" (smile).

Why not check out if you can fly from Chennai to Kochi on that first day. Spend three lovely days there - go wander the streets of old Kochi; take in a Kathakali performance; cruise the backwaters.
Take the train back.

As for your own adventure once daughter has gone - Ellora and Ajanta are wonderful but to get there from Chennai you'd need to take the train. I've done that trip and it's a 24 hour journey. No way is this a goer unless your daughter leaves in the wee small hours.

But maybe Thurs means you fly back to Mumbai and visit from there.

To be honest, I think I would spend your time in Chennai - the old fort there is interesting; and I remember a wonderful oasis in the centre somewhere - a cemetery for the long ago Armenian community. Or you could take a trip to Mahaballipuram.

Sometimes it's good to forget about the known and recorded and just find your own pleasure in being somewhere new.

Old Sep 13th, 2008, 06:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
afterall - I was thinking St. Cirq could stop in Aurangabad on her way back to Mumbai (without her daughter). However, a little checking on train schedules says that won't work - St. Cirq, train schedules are at www.indianrail.gov.in - click on "Trains Between Important Stations", route map at "Trains at a Glance". I agree with afterall that riding a train, preferably a night train in AC2 class, is a great way to experience India.

I've been to Chennai and Mahabalipuram and they were interesting enough, although not the high points of my visit to India. If I were going back I'd add Pondicherry. But you really have very little time. Depending on how the schedules work out you may find that you spend the whole of Oct 17 getting back to Chennai.
Old Sep 13th, 2008, 10:56 PM

Suggest these two itineraries -
1 - Oct 14 to Oct 17
Oct 14 - Evening flight to Delhi. Night in Delhi
Oct 15 - Drive to Agra. Night in Agra
Oct 16 - Return to Delhi. Sightseeing & night in Delhi
Oct 17 - Flight Delhi to Chennai

2 - For the Oct 18 to 21 portion if you want to do Aurangabad youll have to transit Bombay. Better would be to visit Kanchipuram, Mamallapuram & Pondicherry from Chennai and then fly back to Bombay on 21st afternoon to connect to your international flight
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 07:13 AM

Ok its very busy and to be honest transportation in India is not always reliable i.e. on time so I thinks its too much from Chennai to the Taj. You will be dead on your feet after all that flying.

I would head from Mumbai to Chennai unless you have an interest in staying. You will have to change from the international to the domestic airport which is very new and modern my last visit. I have not done sightseeing in Chennai (other than the big shopping mall between meetings ) but its an onteresting place. I would contact the hotel concierge and arrange some sightseeing for yourself this way. If I am free I take a car for the day (expensive from hotels) or try through an agent. i am usually with others and we do this with a taxi driver but I would never do this alone as a woman.

India is a shock to the senses the first time but amazing. Keep lots of small change in notes like 10-20 rupee for shopping etc on the street if you do so as once the big bills come out so do big prices and beggars. Bring a money belt if wandering out and about. Also I use the small change coins and 5-10 rupee for beggers. If you give too much it could be dangerous for them as well. Always keep hand sanitiser wioth you. Its a dusty place and its just how things are. I wear long kirta tops over jeans and trousers as the back of cabns can be a bit grungy...take one though as they are mad...sometimes dangerous and an experience.

I would think with the short time Kochi would be lovely. Your time is short so I do not know how long a train is but a flight would be quick and cheap on Jet or Kingfisher. Always get an early flight in case of delays and bring bug spray at the airport...I get eaten alive there!

In Kochi/Cochin I stayed at the Taj hotel (The cheaper one...not the best just ok and some of my cheap jewellery went missing but could be from the airport not sure. The Taj fort cochin I think is better but pricer. Its near the stunning fihing nets and go at sunset on a boat its amazing. My friend stays outside Fort Cochin at the Malabar house. I had dinner here and highly reccommend the food service etc. The hotel is like a boutique hotel and sotrt of Riad style. Food is fusion Indian and not expensive. I think we had a table for 10 and had Indian chanpage, Starters, Mains, Desery and Indian wines and paid 30 euro each and were stuffed and well oiled after this. Website is here: http://www.malabarhouse.com/index1.php Its such a lovcely place i hope to go vack to Cochin soon.

Enjoy
Old Sep 15th, 2008, 07:54 PM

Considering you are on your way to chennai, I would suggest a trip to Mysore well worth the effort. You can take the Shatabdhi from Mysore to Chennai so that makes getting there easier. Mysore has a chain of hotels- The Royal Orchid(The one i the heart of the city, Royal Orchis Metropolitan is the best)where you can stay and 2 days there is well justified. Even the Windflower Spa and Resorts is a nice place away from the c ity din to stay in.You can even make a short trip to the lovely waterfalls at Shivanasamudra.
The easiest way to get there is by a flight from Mumbai to Bangalore and a 2-3 hours drive to Mysore.
Check this link for more info
http://mysore.nic.in/tourism.htm